1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Peavey Tele Clone Question

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by jallenbass, Jan 7, 2011.

1. jallenbass

jallenbass TDPRI Member

What's the difference between the MIA Predator and the Reactor? I'm not finding much info on the Predator and lots of info on the Reactor. Was one of them considered the "budget model" of the other? I ask because there is a Predator in a local pawn shop with a price tag of $199. I'm pretty sure that's too much $.

2. lfender523

lfender523 TDPRI Member

As much as I like Peavey, especially USA Peavey, I'd say it's overpriced.

The last two USA Peaveys I bought were a Falcon for $100 and an '85 Predator for $50.

I sold them both for $100 each so I made a little profit.

But these are great guitars and should be worth more than a 100 bucks.

(BTW, I sold the Predator to the local GC and they put it in their inventory at $199.)

3. jallenbass

jallenbass TDPRI Member

Thanks for confirming what I thought. How does the Predator compare to the Reactor (or the Falcon)?

4. peaveycaster

peaveycaster Tele-Meister

My moniker pretty much says it all. Years ago, I was scouring Austin looking for a tele that "spoke to me". One day, while being sorely disappointed by yet another Fender tele, my wife walks up with this Peavey Reactor and asks me to try it out for laughs. I played a few licks on it and the next thing I saw, shafts of golden sunlight illuminated me. Tiny little cherubs flittered around my ears, I heard a choir of angels, and I smelled fresh baked chocolate chip cookies.

Ok, so that was a bit overly dramatic, but you get the idea. Then, when I flipped over the price tag, it was $149. $149, new. Seriously? This guitar was this good and cost less than my last pedal purchase? I bought it and haven't regretted it to this day. Wonderful guitar.

Of course, YMMV...

5. LarryM

LarryM Tele-Holic

Peavey makes several Tele types - Do you know which ones are best?

6. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

I don't know about current Peavey quality, but if they're anything like they were back in the late 80's/early 90's they are great guitars. Still have my first guitar, a 90-91 Peavey Predator that has been heavily modded in the last 20 years to where it's brand new again.

7. lfender523

lfender523 TDPRI Member

Just to chime in again, both of the USA Peaveys I found cheap were mid '80's and the Falcon was a pretty straight "strat" copy and the Predator was a "superstrat" with a Kahler. Both were really high quality "strat" based copies. I know the Reactor is a "tele" style guitar. Did they change the Predator or Falcon to a "tele" style at some point?

8. randomhitz

randomhitz Tele-Meister

I have a couple of the modern Chinese tele style (Generation series) and find them to be the best playing guitars I have ever owned. There is something about the neck profile and radius that feels just right to me. Also the horn is cut a little thinner which gives better access to notes above the 12th fret in my opinion. The stock neck pickup is great but the bridge needs replacing. Also want to replace the saddles with compensated ones. I don't think there is any special "magic" to the older USA models except for the Reactor body being a copy of the traditional tele shape. You will see Generation models on ebay for 125 to 200 shipped.

9. jallenbass

jallenbass TDPRI Member

I guess it's possible that the neck is from a strat clone on a tele body but I have seen pics of a few tele Predators. Not many though. Are they that rare?

Which line was supposed to be better: Reactor or Predator?

10. davenumber2

davenumber2 Friend of Leo's

All the Predators I have ever seen have been Strat style guitars. The Reactor is the tele copy. I believe the necks are exactly the same including the headstock shape (different decals of course) so it could have been a Predator neck on a Reactor body???

11. lfender523

lfender523 TDPRI Member

I'm fairly certain the Reactor was the guitar lower on the food chain, but the Predators of recent years were not made to the standards of the USA Peaveys of old.

I think davenumber2 is probably right about the neck swap. The thing I noticed also about both of the recent Peaveys I had was the squared off tele end butt of the neck on both guitars. I think they could be interchangeable, bodies and necks I mean.

12. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

I think they were comperable models. The Predator is Strat-Style, the Reactor Tele-Style. The used Reactors seem to go for more than the Predators. They are good guitars, better I think than Fender MIM Standards. Parts aren't fully interchangable with Fenders.
    The price of $199 is slightly high for the MIA Predator, although there really isn't any used guitar I know of that sells for $200 that is as good as a MIA Predator. The Reactors go for a little more than the Predators. If you can talk him down to about $120-$150 that would be the going rate. But if it is in mnt pretty much unplayed condition $200 really wouldn't be too high.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.