peavey studio pro 112 silver stripe .. question

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by popthree, Aug 19, 2019.

1. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

i picked one up the other day. alright little amp but dang, it's so loud. i expected to use channel 1/clean channel primarily but the problem i have is that its too loud at its quietest setting for my normal in home practice level. anyone else run into this ? the volume goes from dead silent to almost too loud somewhere between 0 and .5... so below (1) on the volume dial. i'm having to ride a volume pedal to keep it down where i want it. seems quite odd, and is kind of annoying.

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

If you don’t do tech work, you have bought something into which you will have more than it is worth...and that is fine as long as you like it. Old wisdom....check the water before diving in.

LuthRavin likes this.
  3. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

Sounds like you should have bought a Peavey Rage instead.

4. popthree

No efx loop

wildschwein likes this.
  5. popthree

guess so.....but
    Ive never encountered an amp that was too loud when dialed down below 1, even a twin can whisper pretty.

6. Wally

There are those amps that do that. The Blues/Hot Rods are infamous for having a sweep that brought volume right away. In those, one could change the V1 tube and correct that error while making the amp much better in all respect, imho.
    This PV of yours could be acting in the manner it was build, or there could be a problem. ??? Maybe someone who has one can respond. I haven’t encountered a Peavey SS amp that did what yours does...but then I never played them enough to notice that it cannot operate at a whisper...as some TR’s can do. Some have an odd taper to the channel volume controls that might best be changed...especially if one pulls the master volume circuit out.
    Good luck with it.

7. popthree

Using the low gain input helps some. I had better luck with it tonight. Also ran my looper and delay through the efx loop and that seemed to help as well. It sounds nice enough for my ears I think.

Wally likes this.
  8. Wally

9. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Effects loop volume control should cure it ...

10. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

In my experience anything Envoy and up in the silver stripe/red stripe era makes a lousy practice amp.

Envoy/ Studio Pro are killer gig machines tho...but way over the top for in home use.

I have a RS Envoy presently and the gain Channel is absolutely insane loud. It’s a grab and go little monster tho.

11. Millebern

Millebern Tele-Meister

I respectfully disagree. I just picked up a Studio Pro red stripe and I find it sounds great at low volumes (bedroom level). I don't use the drive channel as I prefer getting my dirt sounds from an OD pedal which I find sounds great with this amp. With the Studio Pro I just purchased, there isn't that spike in volume the OP mentions.

12. popthree

Yeah I have owned a studio pro before, albiet the older, original model with the 2 wide vertical silver stripes. It was a decent practice amp and probably not really enough oomph for gigging. This newer one is a whole other animal.

13. popthree

After working with this amp for a week I gotta say, it sounds great, but it's too loud for my use. I think I'm going to flip it and go another direction. Pity because this thing is clean and appears to have very little usr, especially given its age. If I was still a gigging player this would be a workhorse of an amp for sure.

14. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

My Classic 30 can be too loud.
    I have been having a blast with my multieffect in the loop.
    I run the amp gain about 3 and Reduce the volume with the global multi volume.

15. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I've had some amps and pedals that do that, because the value of the pot used for volume has a taper that's too extreme, and increases too quickly for fine adjustments in its lower range. It may be because it's a linear taper pot instead of audio taper. A couple of Klon clones I have are like that, going from zero to blasting in the lower 25% of the level pot's range.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.