Peavey Special 130 Owners Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by simplemusican, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Tom Bullock

Tom Bullock TDPRI Member

Special 130

I picked up a Special 130 after looking long and hard for something to take out besides my Nash 400. I play pedal steel and one over 70lb piece of gear is enough! Granted Sp130 is still heavy it is not as heavey as Nash 400. Got mine with original paper manual from 1982. Great cond but need recap and new speaker. Cant tell you how much I dig this amp. Has similar tone of Nash 400 plus para mid eq. Great for unmiked gigs. Will keep up with anything. Clean channel really nice. In one group I plug a tele and a vintage D-8 Gibson steel guitar into it and it handles both very well. I use an eq pedal or slave my Frenzel into it to have control over both inst. Steel really benefits from the tubes in front. The tele sounds great just straight in with delay. Steel guitar can be really picky. Esp pedal steel. The Peavey Special 130 holds its own with or without the tube slave amp in front. I just like to slave it to get the 6v6 sound for steel. Sure beats dragging around a twin or Nash 400. I like it because it is not digital. Has beefy transf. and great clean tone with lots of headroom for steel guitar. If my tube head goes down I can still do gig. Lots of reasons to like this amp. Footswitch somewhat archaic but no big deal. I kinda get a kick out of showing off this amp for the cork sniff crowd. I took logo off plus alum bars and it looks kinda stealthy all black! Love my 130!

2. Jessie Ed

Jessie Ed NEW MEMBER!

My '84 Special 120 has been all over the US and Canada and has never let me down...it always works and sounds great.

I have been wanting to get back to a tube amp but I just can't stand the thought of my Special not being with me on stage. I love this amp...why do I want a tube amp? replacing tubes, rattles, weird noises...none of that with my Special!

3. Jessie Ed

Jessie Ed NEW MEMBER!

I went to GC this weekend and test drove a fender blues delux, hot rod delux, peavey valveking 112 and a fender blues jr. They all seemed to go from 0-10 by just barely turning the volume knob...and they all distorted way to soon. Will I have to get a Twin in order to get the headroom? I like the tube sound but I want clean tones more...I don't play metal... I do beach, Ventures and old R&R...

4. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Afflicted

Special 130-EV12L

My EV12L is an 8ohm. It sounds absolutely phenomenal in this amp. A perfect match for what I do. I toured a little this Summer and my 130 was the only amp I brought with. Never let me down. The amp is an '83 and has never been touched other than the speaker change a few years back. It's probably getting a little tired after all these years of playing, as I've noticed the bass response is a little bit lacking lately. I suppose it probably should get a Cap job. Anyone know if Peavey offers a packaged Cap Kit for for this amp? This is a great amp and I really hope to get another 20 more years out of her!

5. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Afflicted

My other Special 130 is beginning to get weak on the bass side of things. I suspect a dried out Cap in the bass section. Can anyone tell me which Cap(s) I might need to look for and replace? Any help would sure be appreciated.

6. simplemusican

simplemusican TDPRI Member

I did the "burr brown" mod to mine and cleaned the pots while in there. I will have to say that while it doesn't make a "night-and-day" difference, the new chips do seem to do smooth out the response of the amp enough to warrant doing it. As with most Peaveys of that era the cleaning did help as well. If anyone is interested, I can provide the website where I ordered the chips and installation instructions.

7. pat10295

pat10295 Tele-Meister

Can you provide the instructions? I just picked one up after feeling nostalgic having sold my Stereo Chrous 400.

8. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

I had two over the years, and it is still one of my favorite amps I have every owned. I bought one in 84 while doing the club circuit in Canada. It was stolen in 85 so I bought another. The 2nd one stayed with me until I sold it in the late 90's. I have regretted that ever since.

Mine was loaded with a JBL 120 series (I believe that was the series) and it stayed clean as long as I needed it to.

9. Robus

Robus TDPRI Member

I have a Special 130 that I bought used about 1994. It was my main amp for a couple of years until I moved on to Fender and Marshall tube amps. Seeing this got me curious so I brought it up from the basement, cleaned out the cobwebs and plugged it in for the first time in fifteen years. First impressions: There's a real nasally quality to the midrange that I couldn't seem to dial out, playing with a Les Paul. Overall the sound was claustrophobic without much air or depth. I'll play with it again since I've got it out, and try some different guitars. It might sound better with single coil pickups. My main guitar was a strat during the time I used this amp.

Most likely it could use a different speaker. Don't know if it's worth investing in a quality speaker for a thirty-year-old solid state amp. If I ever switch out the stock Eminence in my DRRI, I might give that a try.

Recommend some eq settings?

10. bdgregory

bdgregory Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I no longer have mine (wish I still did) but found that the nasal quality went away with the volume turned up. In fact it only sounded great with it turned up above normal in home play levels which is why I decided to sell it since I only play at home. But then it really sounded great! I tried to swap the speaker which didn't really help the problem, and made it sound bad at higher levels (can't recall which speaker I used) and decided I really liked the stock Scorpion speaker. By the way - I found the same problem with other Peavey's I have owned - they only sound good to me loud (Classic 30).

One thing I didn't try which may help is move the amp around to different locations, and try facing it different directions. I've found this helps with other amps.

11. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

Careful, might blow that Emi if you turn up The 130, those Emi's are rated around 50w. Never had a Special 130, my 80's Bandit 65 does all I need, but I'm sure it's probably the same circuit/tone, just way louder. Someone said they gig at 1.5 volume? :eek: I believe it, as I rarely get above 4 on my Bandit 65 at gigs.

12. simplemusican

Go to www.foxvintageamps.com and on the home page there is a listing for several DIY kits and upgrades. Just click on the IC pic there and it will take to Ken's available kits. I suggest also going by your local Radio Shack and get one of the little pullers designed for IC's. If you try and pull them with your fingers, you'll wind up stabbing yourself with the IC's pins. Be sure to deoxit and fader lube all the pots and the effects loop jacks in the back. This helps as well and you already have the chassis out anyway. As a note, these amps came with the same silver backed 4558 chips that were used in many older Tube Screamers and the plethora of "me too" pedals of similar design. You may be able to recoup a a little of the buy price if you auction those off, but even if you don't they are worth hanging on to as that particular version of the 4558 isn't produced anymore. That just my pair of pennies on that, but as we all know some solid state guys are by certain chips like a lot of vintage guys are about those little glass things that seem to contain tonal mojo.

13. HOBBSTER01

HOBBSTER01 Friend of Leo's

These things are paint peelers.

14. simplemusican

This is just my opinion and experience, but vintage Peavey in general shines with single coils and does just OK with 'buckers due to the pronounced mids. That said, I play on the clean channel and EQ as follows for my Nashville Tele.

Bass: 6
    Mid Shift: almost fully CCW
    Mid Gain: almost fully CCW
    Treble: 3-4
    Pres: 4

Be patient when EQ tweaking solid state stuff. It always seems like smaller adjustments do a lot more than with tube stuff. I've also found that they are more sensitive to dynamics than some tube gear. I'm certain that this is due to most tube amp designs having some natural compression especially when they are pushed into breakup. As for a speaker, other posters in this thread swear by an EV 12L in this amp. Best of luck with it, hope you and your 130 can get along!

15. Kid Kactus

Kid Kactus Tele-Meister

Yep. 1.5. 2.5 for the big shows :lol:

16. Kid Kactus

Kid Kactus Tele-Meister

^^(But, I have an old Route 66 OD/compressor in front of it.)

17. mnow1

mnow1 NEW MEMBER!

Back in the 70's used to be able to play this puppy at 7 or 8 in volume, Now days it is hard to turn up past 1 without people complaining (venues of 300 plus)!! But everyone comments on that 70's tone I got (Guild S-300 and Peavey Special 130). Nice light weight package!!!

18. Scantron08

Scantron08 Tele-Afflicted

19. downsouthstudio

downsouthstudio TDPRI Member

Ive had this amp for years, but have had it stored away. I just got it out of storage and fired it up........WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN MOST OF MY LIFE ? HA
    I had forgotten what a great amp it is. It will not go back in the closet.

The pots seem dirty and scratchy but everything seems to work. Guess a good spray on the pots should fix that. any suggestions on things I should check is appreciated.
    jeff

20. drail

drail Tele-Meister

1994 Peavey special 112

I bought a new Peavey special 112 with a scorpion speaker in 1994 that I still play and love, is this the same amp as the special 130. My amp has 160 watts rms .

jefcon1 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.