Peavey Renown

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by 2 Headed Goat, Oct 13, 2019.

1. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Tele-Afflicted

amp462.jpg Never owned one but may be able to pick one up (or not -hehe) for a C-note. Besides being a hefty beast are they Renown for sounding good, crap or decent? Any of ya'll own or gigged one back in the day?
    Just curious... Clean machine or better suited for Quiet Riot's backline?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  2. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Afflicted

I had one in the mid 80s...killer, but dang heavy. Make sure to get the proper footswitch

3. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I'd chance a C-note to find out. . . .

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  4. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Love Peavey ... Good for cleans ... Add pedals you like ...

Telecastoff1 and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  5. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

get yer skynyrd on! one thing.. they don't sound good. but they are loud and you can beat the hell out of them. I'd buy it as a fun thing and something if you have to play outside and raise a racket.

we used to be able to nail the 'american woman' sound (guess who) with a renown... turn the treble on 2, crank the amp to 8 or so.. the gain thingy on those amps is great for making brutal noises... pull the bright switch on it (doing this from memory) set the rest of the tone stuff on 6 or 7.

it gets that lead tone perfectly...

6. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Super good cleans - very different than a Fender Twin. The renown has a stronger midrange and is less scooped. The on-board “saturation” is not great, but if you get your dirt sound from pedals, it can rock pretty good. I know a pedal steel guy who loves it stock. I have the Bandit single 12” version and the Renown definitely sounds bigger and fuller (got a chance to a/b mine with a Renown for a good hour or so a few years back). For rock, for me the speakers were a weak point - another former band mate of mine (not the steel player) upgraded his Renown with Celestions (can’t remember the model) and I put an Eminence Private Jack in my Bandit.

7. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Also, I had a Roland Jazz Chorus for a while and the Bandit and Renown both sounded more organic and less sterile - even though they are SS. I didn’t keep the JC for very long - I still have the Bandit after 35 years.

tidalcast and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  8. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Holic

I have a Special 130 :

[​IMG]

Built like a B-24 Liberator, powerfull as Hell :cool:, but lacks the deep bass of my SF Twin-Reverb or my Boogie MKIIA. Too bad... :(

IMHO, these Peaveys were amps rather for Rock and Hard-Rock and they are more or less voiced for that. It was in the era...

If I could make my Special 130 have the Deep Bass of a Twin, for sure I would use it much more ! My attempts to rework the tone-corrector have been unsuccessful. :confused:

If anyone has the good mod for Deep Bass, I'm highly interested ! ;)

-tbln

9. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

The Classic and Blues Classic amps with the Sheffield speakers were the one I liked.

mkdaws32 and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  10. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

As always with PV this is required reading..
    https://assets.peavey.com/literature/manuals/80361043.pdf
    I would grab it for a hundy, lots of fun serinading the guy who runs his leaf blower every evening..
    and it doubles as a bookshelf when not in service.

As mentioned try to get the foot switch they can cost as much as the amp if you decide you want it after the fact. >.<

11. 2 Headed Goat

I hear ya - Cum on feel the noize... LOL.
    I owned a 130 for a short stint tho not long enough to gig with it. Sounded great.
    Curious as to whether the 2x12 setup would yield more bass... mkdaws32 points out the Renown is voiced differently with heaps more mids... perhaps the 130 has a similar thang happening.

12. 2 Headed Goat

Righteous re the Bandit. I never was a fan of JC's... probably my least fave model of SS amp.
    Forever grateful to Roland tho for designing Boss pedals and the Micro Cube.

mkdaws32 likes this.
  13. urbandefault

urbandefault Tele-Meister

I had one for several years in the 80s/90s. Can't remember what it sounded like, but it was LOUD.

I think that was all I cared about at the time. ;)

14. 2 Headed Goat

LOL... the neighbour's using one right now... leaf blower that is...
    Cheers for the link. Good to know re the ft sw.

15. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Holic

Well, my late 70s Twin-Reverb and 1980 Boogie MKIIA are comparable in term of bass level and deepness.

[​IMG]

My Twin-Reverb has a pair of Eminence ME12-100PE8 (equivalent to the Legend 1218 of today) while my Boogie has an EVM12L or ALTEC 417-8H depending on the combo cab I use.

The Scorpion speaker in my Special 130 has comparable capabilities with an EVM12L, so the bass limitations of the Special 130 comes from its circuit design which is - IMHO - more tailored for overdriven styles rather than deep clean tones... And we all know that deep bass often sound muddy when overdriven - the more drive = the more muddiness, right ?

But all these 3 amps share a common point : they weight like anvils ! :confused:;)

-tbln

mkdaws32 and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  16. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

I had a Classic 65 VTx 2x12 Scorpions. It was my first real amp and it was a monster. Beautiful cleans. I used the “Supersat” for distortion. Reverb and phaser. What a great first amp.

I had a Special 150 for years after that as my gigging amp and it never disappointed. Another monster amp. Reliable, loud in a good way, good dirt. Heavy with a Scorpion Plus. Maybe my favorite speaker ever.

You will love this amp and it will serve you well if you can carry it.

17. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

A lot of amp for $100 as long as everything works, other than the size and weight, should be great , good reverb, good cleans, you should be able to dial in a decent OD tone, or just use pedals.

18. 2 Headed Goat

I've owned quite a few 70's hybrid Peaveys and they all sounded great.

COol. I will have to check what speakers are in it. The heft factor may be an issue tho as CK Dex points out, I could use it for furniture...

19. 2 Headed Goat

I hear ya. Do you see many/any being used live these days?? I imagine not many folks want to haul around a hefty dinosaur tho am curious what's commonly used in Tenn... Memphis, Nashville et al..

20. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

Yeah. They’re really heavy. I had an Artist VTX 1x15 for years too. Had it twice actually. Had a unique channel combining that made such nice distortion. Such a great amp. Heavy as hell too! Another Scorpion speaker. Those were great!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.