Peavey Predator...pickups?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by LGOberean, Sep 17, 2019.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

What are they?

I'm asking specifically about the '90s USA Predator. Of course, I know they're three single coils, and are meant to be Strat-y. But are they ceramic or alnico?

I seem to remember claims for both ways by those demoing them in YouTube videos. I could see it if they were ceramic. The tone is a bit less sweet and more edgy, to my ears. I've looked at the manual online, and that's answered most of my questions, but not the one about the magnets.

TIA...

FenderGyrl likes this.
  2. iamjethro

iamjethro TDPRI Member

I always heard they were ceramic. Pretty sure mine were. I replaced mine with Rose pickups that were very low resistance A2 magnets for a very nice sound. IF mine were still around I could look.

The only thing is, I ordered the Rose pickups and just before they arrived. I had been playing with pickup heights again. I found a really sweet sounding setting that just sang and almost convinced myself to just leave them right there. They sounded that good. But, I had spent money and I am cheap so I installed the Rose. They sounded really nice but are much lower output. They sound so glassy, though.

Brian Krashpad and LGOberean like this.
  3. Lacking Talent

Lacking Talent Tele-Holic

Big ceramic bar magnet across the bottoms of the pole pieces, Larry.

4. BCblues55

BCblues55 Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Ceramic AND very nice. They indeed can get edgy, but I also find that they clean up very nicely. I’ve used them In a couple of Patscasters, but I also kept a set in a used Predator and like that guitar a lot! It might be worth holding onto the pickups, if you do replace them.

5. rickthescot

rickthescot Tele-Holic

I have a 92 and 93 Predator both MIA, they were each ceramic.

6. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

I always wondered who made these as they do work well in that guitar. IIRC that era Predator had a US made neck, w/ everything else imported and the whole shebang assembled & finished in Meridian; at the time that was enough domestic content to go /W “ USA” and was tried by a few makers including Martin ( Shenandoah) in PV’s case it made for a nice affordable guitar that played well . The content rules were changed not long after and that was that..

7. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Been a while since I had the pickguard off mine ... but I believe I'd +1 ceramic. However, don't be frightened of ceramic, just set them a little lower than you might those weaker alnico Vs. Use your ear not a height spec pulled off the Internet...

Weak point on the electronics were the usual switch, pots, jack. I think the pots were full sized Alpha. Spend under $25 on top of the line of those and the guitar will perform like a favorite $3k job.

The neck is nice 'n chunky. I liked how Harley used gun stock pattern router machines to make necks. Innovative at the time. There are some youtube videos on the gun stock machines in operation if you look for them.

8. Brian Krashpad

Brian Krashpad Tele-Afflicted

As others have noted, I always heard ceramic, and the one I had sounded that, at least.

[​IMG]

9. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I'd almost forgotten about my own thread, since I only got one initial response. (Thanks, @iamjethro .)

It's good to get the confirmation on the magnets, as well as the positive comments about these specific pickups, and the tips about height adjustment. I have another thread going about budget Strat copies, which kind of explains where I'm coming from on this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.