Peavey mini-heads.

northernguitar

Poster Extraordinaire
I have a tube head up for trade and I’m getting offers for big 100W heads, all Peavey. Not exactly what I’m looking for. However, I received an offer for a Peavey Classic MH in tweed. I dismissed it outright after recalling a scathing review written by someone whose opinion of electronics I greatly respect. He reported a cheaply built amp that he felt would be prone to needing repairs from everything to the guts under the hood to the cab he rated as junk.

One opinion and maybe I read to much into it. Any one out there try any of these out, especially the Classic? Is my reviewer too much of a cork-sniffer? Or are these a cheap fix that will need repairs? I do plan on using whatever I acquire for gigs.

Les H

Tele-Holic
I have no experience with made in China Peavey amps but I have a Peavey Classic 30 that gets a lot of negative press about the 3 folded PCB board and it gets brought up regularly for a reason no one should buy one. Mine was bought new 17 years and turned on practically every day and gigged on and off over those years with the last 3 years being gigged exclusively. Knock on wood no issues. However I wouldn't recommend excessive tube rolling as the tube socket pins can spring easily.

As far as the Classic 30 is concerned that 3 fold PCB board has been eliminated once production moved to China so at least one good thing happened rearding the move. In regard to the Classic 20 minihead I wouldn't be fearful of using it if any of Peavey's previous reputation for reliability was considered in the design.

northernguitar

Poster Extraordinaire
I have no experience with made in China Peavey amps but I have a Peavey Classic 30 that gets a lot of negative press about the 3 folded PCB board and it gets brought up regularly for a reason no one should buy one. Mine was bought new 17 years and turned on practically every day and gigged on and off over those years with the last 3 years being gigged exclusively. Knock on wood no issues. However I wouldn't recommend excessive tube rolling as the tube socket pins can spring easily.

As far as the Classic 30 is concerned that 3 fold PCB board has been eliminated once production moved to China so at least one good thing happened rearding the move. In regard to the Classic 20 minihead I wouldn't be fearful of using it if any of Peavey's previous reputation for reliability was considered in the design.
I have an American Bandit that is damn near indestructible. I HAVE dropped it a number of times, off of tables, chairs, and even a tailgate. Only damage was to whatever the Bandit fell onto. I need to clean the pots and jacks, but other than that, it still rocks (even better with a Celestion 70/80 in place of the brash Sheffield speaker).

However, these mini-heads just look prone to failure. So many features that could go kaput, especially if it was built cheaply as I have read.