1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Peavey Express 112 Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Biggfoot44, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Biggfoot44

Biggfoot44 TDPRI Member

In opening , I've been periodically reading for years , made an account a little while back , and this is my first post .

Today I was working in a different than usual location , that happened to be near a Guitar Center . As my habit I checked the online inventory for potentially interesting used items . Spotted a Blue Stripe Peavey Express 112 . Having only passing familiarity with the Peavy product line , initial searching showed the Blue Stripes were well like, and had old school spring reverb . So far so good .

Raced over on lunch hour , after confirming on the phone . Fair appearance , but functional was supposedly confirmed .

But in person , nothing happens with either Input jack ( which seemed really loose to my inexperienced self ) . But did work with guitar input plugged into the Effects Loop return.

I thought evil profane thoughts about GC , but ended up making lowball offer, and it followed me home . I thought worst case scenario , I got it at price I'd be willing to turn it into a defacto speaker cab .

Could it realistically be a matter of bad jacks , or bad wiring between jack and preamp ?

Since I am primarily interested in clean , with a bit of reverb ( think lap steel) , is it viable to just plug into the Return jack ?

If the problem isn't the jack and initial wire , is there a common problem that would do this , or should I expect a full diagnostic required .

My plan is for my daughter to take it into her part time job at local independent music store , to get a quick & dirty opinion of either : 1. Jack problem 2. Anthing more complex . But I thought I would also check for any wisdom from the group here .

2. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Friend of Leo's

Yeah, it's simply just the jacks... plug a short pedal board jumper lead in the send and return jacks and then the amp should work fine using the guitar inputs. Cleaning and/or retensoning the contacts on the send jack should do the trick.

Google Peavey Bandit Teal Stripe Troubleshooting and you'll find this is a very common problem but one easily fixed....

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  3. DTBlues

DTBlues Tele-Meister

I cut my teeth in my teens with that same amp..Like 2HG said..Sounds like a contact problem some cleaning will fix

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  4. Biggfoot44

Biggfoot44 TDPRI Member

So , if I'm understanding , the problem would seem to be with the " effects loop internal bypass " , not the guitar inputs or preamp ? ( Undoubtedly incorrect nomenclature ) I certainly wouldn't have intuitively thought of that .

Alas , I am already at my usual midnite shift . I will try to intercept daughter in the morning to test this ( amp already loaded into daughter's car to take with her ) .

Added - I take it from above that the Express is sufficently like the Bandit , that discussions of the Bandit would largely carry over ? What are the main differences between the Express and Bandits of the same era ?

5. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Friend of Leo's

The problem is that the type of jacks Peavey used for the Send and Return of the effects jacks are prone to oxidation over time which results in them not functioning correctly. The effect (no pun intended) is that they disables the entire preamp section of the amp intermittently or continually - which is what you are experiencing with your amp.

Peavey used these same jacks on both the Bandit and the Express models as well as many others. The Bandit was the huge seller for Peavey so there are heaps out there and that's mainly why the troubleshooting threads mention the Bandit. I had 2 Bandits that had this 'issue' which resulted in me getting them for a song. I didn't have to re-solder or replace the jacks. Using a jumper lead was the initial quick fix and then once I had some contact cleaner spraying it on the plugs and inserting them repeatedly sorted the problem.

This YT vid covers it as well as the link below...

https://music-electronics-forum.com/showthread.php?t=10381

6. DTBlues

DTBlues Tele-Meister

That amp has some sweet and fat cleans and the drive was perfect for that 90's tone......******* to many memmberberries thinking about that amp.lol:cry::cry:

7. Biggfoot44

Biggfoot44 TDPRI Member

And as suggested , just tried with patch cord jumping the effects, and success

codamedia likes this.
  8. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

Whenever you see a Peavey on the local classifieds with "needs work", "no sound" or "intermittent sound".... it is most often those silly shorting jacks. There are some great deals out there thanks to those ;)

9. jbratter

jbratter TDPRI Member

image.jpg
    Hi - I know this is an old thread, but hoping some of you may still be watching. I picked up an Express a few months ago. absolutely love it for my home office. love the clean channel, but it was a bit noisy, even when on volume 1. So i was reading that new op-amps could help that, so I picked some up and replaced them. When I turned the amp on, there was no sound :( I checked everything and except for the op amps, nothing was changed or seemed wrong. all the lights come on, so there is power, but absolutely zero sound. i tried another speaker, but that didn't work either. i replaced the op amps with the originals, but still no sound.
    Any suggestions?! i dont think its worth bringing it to a tech, as that may cost more that i paid for the amp!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
  10. jbratter

jbratter TDPRI Member

bump for help :)

11. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

Did you make sure to orient the opamps the correct way?. If any of them got reversed, it could be a problem.
    Al

jbratter likes this.
  12. jbratter

jbratter TDPRI Member

Didn’t know that. They seemed symmetric. I’ll check on that tomorrow. Thx!

13. jbratter

jbratter TDPRI Member

that was it! one was the wrong way.. Thank you so much, zombiewoof!

14. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

You're welcome, once in a while I get something right!.
    I just know that there is a notch or some other identifier on one end of opamps to show which way it goes when placed on the board.
    Al

15. jbratter

jbratter TDPRI Member

just one last comment. So now my Express 112 works great (reverb doesn't work by I got a cheap Biyang Tri-Reverb for $25 which sounds great!
    more importantly, i've found that with this amp, and my Envoy 110, I get a really nice blackface sound when i put the mids all the way down to zero. Not one or two. Zero. Gives that great mid-scoop. My strat sounds amazing through these two amps on the clean channel.
    thx

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.