1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Peavey Classic 50...Weak reverb?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by silverrush540, Jul 28, 2009.

1. silverrush540

silverrush540 TDPRI Member

Does anyone know if the reverb is just very poor in these amps or if mine may have an issue? Even when I have the reverb ALL the way up it doesnt really sound drenched with reverb...it still sounds like its barely on.

The reverb tank is just sitting in the amp...Should it be mounted to the amp?

2. pistolsteve

pistolsteve Tele-Meister

I don't know about the 50, but I have the Classic 30, and yes, I'd call it a pretty subtle reverb. Definitely not a springy Fender-type surf rock reverb.

And, on my 30, the reverb tank is in a vinyl pouch that seems to just sit in the bottom of the amp cabinet. I think that's normal.

3. garytelecastor

garytelecastor Poster Extraordinaire

I own a 50 410 and my reverb does start out weak and then it comes on strong at the latter half of the chicken head.

4. silverrush540

Yeah mine is in the pouch too just sitting there.

5. silverrush540

Do you feel like you REALLY have to hit notes hard to hear the reverb....I have it maxed out and the only time I REALLY hear it is when I pluck notes really hard.

6. Nash

Nash Tele-Holic

My Classic 30 is like that, it stays about the same all the way through unless you really dig in and even when dimed and just plucking the heck outta the strings it's really subtle. I'm a huge fan of the surf genre and this fact is the only thing I don't like about how the amp sounds. I love a really wet sounding reverb and my C30 definitely doesn't have it. I've looked for mods fixing it, but I haven't found anything.

7. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

These two PEavey amps have solid state reverbs. When they are working properly, they still don't do that wet and warm tube reverb thing. The SS is very cold and harsh.
    That said, the OP's amp seems to have a problem. Question....with the reverb at 3-4, what happens when you tilt the amp back a bit and then let it sit back down? Do you hear the reverb? Does it 'crash'? IF the signal is strong with this experiment, your return is working. Something is wrong with the send function, the send cable or in the tank.

8. silverrush540

Yeah I hear the crash...it may well possibly be the send because when I have it cranked the reverb that actually sounds doesnt really sound like its on the notes but that it just happens because of the vibration of the whole amp itself. For instance if I hit a G chord it will sound because of the low G note but if I just hit the high strings it doesnt sound as much...I would def say I have a send problem...you think it just may be the cable? or possible a cold solder joint? Could the reverb pot itself have anything to do with it?

9. Wally

Rush, it could be anything....connections, that 4558 IC, resistor/s,diode/s, pot, cable, the inductor on the input side of the reverb tank. IF you have a multimeter, pull the tank out and check the reistance at those inductors. IF you read '0' or infinity, there is a problem at that point.
    OUTside of that, your problem will be inside the chassis. Tech time.

10. Wally

OR....disconnect that tank and get an outboard reverb unit. ...preferrably tube...especially if you want that wet and warm surf thing. NOthing but tubes gets it done.

11. silverrush540

Well I checked all the solder joints on the tank and then actually resoldered one when I remembered this post saying that it could be the 4558 since peaveys reverb isnt powered by tube...I had some extra op amps from my tubescreamer and I tried one and sure enough it fixed the problem! Thanks for mentioning that!

12. garytelecastor

garytelecastor Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, SR I guess that I would have to say that is a factor.
    The reverb is adequate at best.

13. Wally

SilverRush, I 'm glad that the info helped you get that reverb going. That IC takes the place of a reverb tube. IF you had had a tube, that would have been the first thing you went to check. Being that the IC is inside on the board, it isn't as easy to get to and it doesn't occur to a person to go there. The schemactic lets you know where the problems will occur, though. SS or tube....the electrons follow a path.

14. telbert twang

telbert twang Tele-Holic

From my experience (plus the factor of my personal ears, of coarse) : C50 reverb is pretty good, tonewise, its just the decay time. For replacement (either in the prism of repair or also the upgrade), i´d still choose the 2-spring T4 but longer decay ( 4EB3C1B instead of original 4EB2C1B). There is also a way to go for T9 (3 spring, actually 3x2 spring ) 9EB3C1B , but increased number of reverb strings could possibly change the reverb general voicing tone (presumably to more ´juicy´, warm) . Look also here

Remark: talking about Accutronics (there may be other equivalents from another manufacturers)

15. orangeguitar

orangeguitar TDPRI Member

I've got the same issue. Even with the reverb turned to 12, its barely audible. I don't really need it, so I might just unplug the tank. Will that hurt anything on the amp at all?

16. honeycreek

honeycreek Tele-Afflicted

When I bought my PV Classic 50, the reverb didn't work at all. I bought a replacement op amp off of ebay (I think $5.00 for 10 of them) and that fixed it. The op amp chip was even socketed so no soldering was required. I'm not sure if yours is that way but you might want to check.

17. dhuber

dhuber Tele-Meister

I own the C 100 and C 30. Peavey reverb in the classics is my favorite. I don't like a lot of reverb my my DRRI and Traynor are way over the top when it comes to reverb.

18. Chautauqua

Chautauqua Tele-Holic

I love he reverb on my C50-212... It's not nearly as "wet" or pronounced as the average Fender unit, but it's defiantly noticeable and for ME, it's the perfect amount of verb when you set it at 8-9. I have a feeling the OP's reverb is malfunctioning cause it's pretty noticeable when its off. Check the foot-switch too Mine is going bad and I find I loose the lead channel and Reverb sometimes (short/fracture in the cord) but unplugging the foot-switch brings it all back, just gotta use the clean/lead switch and you don't have the reverb on/off. Classics are truly amazing amps.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.