1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Peavey classic 30 vs fender supersonic 22?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Rich D., Apr 17, 2014.

1. Rich D.

Rich D. TDPRI Member

Not sure which one to go with.. Leaning toward the ss22..

2. Tatercaster

Tatercaster Friend of Leo's

I used to own a Delta Blues (classic 30 with tremolo and a 15"). The clean channel was great, the overdrive sucked. Too fizzy. YMMV

3. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

More Grindy on tap with 22, but C30 can do more flavors...., I think 22 pricier.

4. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I owned a C50-410, and a DB-2x10. Currently own a SS22.

While the PVs are good amps (especially the C50; if you need volume, that beast was hella-loud), imo they can't stand up to the versatility of the SS22. I won't say the SS22 has better tones, because that's in the ear of the beholder. But I'd take the SS22 over the PVs for anything EXCEPT CLEAN VOLUME. The PVs will have more headroom- not much on tap in the 22 (alot more in the SS60).

5. guitar2005

guitar2005 Tele-Holic

I'd recommend the Super Sonic 22.

They are extremely well built, as are the Peavey amps but I have to give the edge to the Fender. The clean tones are very nice and the burn channel is very tweakable and cleans up nicely, despite the fact that there's tons of gain on tap.

The stock speaker on the Fender is better too.

Of course, that's based on personal preference. I do like the Classic 50 a lot. Its a very nice amp.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  6. dhuber

dhuber Tele-Meister

Never played a SS. I own a lot of Peavey Classics 100 head, 30 head & combo. I've modded my Peavey's some on the overdrive channel. I also own a Fender DRRI. I rarely play through the DRRI. The DRRI is a one trick pony but it does the one thing really well. My Classics are vary versatile clean to overdrive. I use reverend all tone speakers with the Peavey's. They get real close to fender clean for me. However the EL 84's in a Peavey will never get a sparkly clean as the 6V6's in the DRRI but the classics get close enough for me.

7. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

The Ss22 is a step above the C30, but it is also a step and a half up in price. I think the overdrive on the Peavey is great. Reverb on the Fender is better.

I also saw you were considering the YCV20, one thing to consider for the price of a new Ss22 you can get a new C30 AND a used Traynor.

8. Maggot

Maggot Tele-Afflicted

The gain channel on the SS22 gives you a whole lot to work with. Not so much with the Peavey. Clean on the Peavey is great, though, and it's nice and loud.

9. SirJackdeFuzz

SirJackdeFuzz Friend of Leo's

SS 22 gets my vote by a country mile !

10. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

i gigged with a classic 50 for some years... killer amp, and built like a tank. but comparing it to that fender is a bit of a stretch. huge jump in price there. the ss22 is a better amp... but not enough better, in my eyes, to justify the price difference

11. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I have a C30. Replaced the tubes with JJ. Replaced the speaker with an Eminence Texas Heat. I REALLY like the clean tone. I don't use the OD section or the boost button. I get my dirt from an OCD and an OD-3.
    All my other amps are fender.
    I've not played a Supersonic.

12. Rich D.

Rich D. TDPRI Member

Thanks for replies. Gonna push the button on the Fender.

13. Cajunplayer

Cajunplayer TDPRI Member

It's been a while since you said you were going with the Fender. I have both the SS22 and C30. Like both of them. But I also give an edge to the SS22 especially for versatility.
    How do you like it?

14. Johnny Cache

Johnny Cache Former Member

The C30 is a good amp. Never played through a Supersonic, I'll always go with 6V6's over EL84's. If that means anything to you.

15. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

I'd choose the Supersonic. That's my favorite Fender amp currently. Quite versatile IMO. Best Fender overdrive that I've ever come across. Sort of Dumble, Mesa Boogie-ish, but it's also quite tweekable, giving you quite a few flavors. Clean channel has a nice feature. Basically allowing you to switch from a Blackface type circuit to an earlier Bassman 59' type circuit. Very distinct sounds. Much more Marhsall-y, with the Bassman setting, lots more mids. 'Vibrolux' is nice and chimey, gives you that classic mid scooped blackface tone.

My one issue with it, was that they dont have the lowest noise floor. I chalk it up to typical cheap manufacturing and cheap, low quality Printed Circuit Boards. Something that is not unique to Fender, and is quite common on most of the 'Name Brand' amp manufactures, I've found.

16. ruger9

Here's the thing:
    if you do not engage Gain 2, the gain is all FENDER.... only Gain 2 introduces the Dumble/Boogie element.... on Gain 1, up to about 4 or so, it's ALL FENDER... just like cranking up a Fender (and it sounds better than cranking up the Supersonics clean channel too).... at about 5 it starts morphing from Fender in Marshall, which isn't much of a stretch, when you consider the first Marshall WAS a Fender, with a 12AX7 in V1...lol

The Burn channel gets a VERY BAD RAP, mostly from people who have never played it, or haven't spent any time with it and don't understand how to use it. Fender pretty much hit it out of the park with this one, whether 22W or 60W, an absolutely fantastic, versatile, "workingman's amp".....

17. Chris S.

Chris S. Asst. Admin

Guys? Check the dates. The OP made his decision last Spring.

I hesitate to call this thread a zombie, it's less than a year old, but it's been inactive since last April.

18. ruger9

There's nothing wrong with continuing to discuss a great product(s), regardess of how old the thread is. As if the age of the thread makes it somehow irrelevant... Imagine if people felt that way about US as we age!! :lol: Old threads still have value.

19. dobrodoc

dobrodoc Tele-Holic

I am sick to death of EL84 amps. When the 60-watt SSonics came in, I was at the front of the line. The amp sounded OK, but it was too loud.

Been playing my Goodsell a lot--One of my all-time favorite amps--My favorite amp!
    But Monday, my "new-Open-Box" SS22 got here. That amp will git it! Plug in, dial up a tone (And it WILL be a Fender tone), and play it. My hat's off to Fender. I don't know about the Deluxe Reverb RI's. But I don't need to know. This is the amp for me!

20. Chris S.

Chris S. Asst. Admin

Except that the webmaster has requested that we not add any new posts to old threads. It's in the rules:

DON'T RESURRECT OLD THREADS:
    The TDPRI has been online since 1999. Our database contains old threads from as far back as 2003. Over the years we have determined that resurrecting old threads causes a great number of problems for our membership. So, we ask that you not post on threads that are not currently active on our thread indexes. If you do post on an old thread you'll most likely find that post removed by a moderator to let the out-of-date thread to sink back into our Archives. Simply post in current threads -- or start a new one of your own.

I'm just following his guidelines.

Yes, they certainly do, which is why it's great that the TDPRI archive goes back so many years. You can research old threads, quote from them, and link to them -- we would just prefer that you not add any new posts to them.

Thanks for your cooperation.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.