1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Peavey Classic 30 shut-off "POP"

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by rojo412, Feb 14, 2021.

1. rojo412

rojo412 Tele-Meister

I'll be straight up: my experience with tube amps over the years is very limited. That's why I'm asking this, hope it's not a stupid question.

I just got a Peavey Classic 30 and it looks to be in good shape, seems to work just fine. Granted, I haven't been able to push it very loud, but its intention is to be a practice amp in my office for the most part.
    This is the first tube amp I've actually played which doesn't have the standby function.

Whenever I shut the amp off, it pops fairly loudly. It's not something that sounds like the speaker is going to blow or anything, but I haven't had an amp before that does that.

Is this a symptom of something that needs to be fixed? Or is it pretty normal for an amp like this?

Also, I did see someone was able to modify their C30 with a 3-way switch for the power where it was "OFF-STANDBY-ON". Is that something I should consider for this amp which may prevent that or is that only so it can have a muted speaker but stay warmed up?

THANKS!

MadDogTele likes this.
  2. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Afflicted

Shut off pop annoys me too. One thing I do is if the amp has a headphone jack, I plug a small headphone adaptor in before switching off, and that cuts the speaker input so no pop.

A small thing, but I have hyperacusis, so the less pops the better.

3. basher

basher Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My Delta Blues (mostly the same circuit as the Classic 30) pops when I power down with the amp on the overdrive channel. It seems to be normal. I just make sure I’m on the clean channel before powering down.

I suppose you could mod the thing for a standby switch, but IMHO it doesn’t need it. You can turn your tuner on or turn the guitar volume down to mute the amp.

4. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

I had a DRRI for a short time. It did this. I didn’t use it much or keep it long so I’m not sure whether it was common or not.

5. rojo412

rojo412 Tele-Meister

I actually pops with the guitar silenced and in either channel. And yeah, it's not violent or anything, so I can definitely live with it if that's just the way it goes. Just trying to make sure it's not a sign of needing something more major attended to.

6. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Afflicted

My C30 does that about half the time.

7. goldguitarguy

goldguitarguy Tele-Meister

I’ve seen popping happen because an arc jumps the switch on shut down or a filter cap drains too fast because the value is only bare minimum to operate the amp.

To test just set the amp in standby mode and then unplug before turning the power switch off. If the amp pops when unplugged it could be a filter cap. If it doesn’t pop when unplugged it’s the switch.

It can be common on solid state amps or amps that have solid state elements too. My Sunn Beta Lead does it every time but it says in the manual it’s normal.

8. MadDogTele

MadDogTele TDPRI Member

What about giving Peavey Tech Support a call and see what they have to say. I'm sure that "POP" in the back of your mind might be cause for a small amount of anxiety if you don't get a real definitive answer about it. And I'm sure you don't want that "POP" to graduate into a "HISSS-POP-PUFF!" of smoke.

I've worked on quite a bit of old audio systems, radios, phonograph console units (working on one right now, a 1959 EMUD console radio/phono, from Germany, SUPREME Quality, sounds awesome), with tubes and good amounts of caps. In my experience, the Old-School Radio/TV/Phono repair Techs would advise you to never power it on again til you get your question answered or get it re-capped. They can be quite adamant and obsessive about such things.

Although, on really old, vintage, antique stuff, caps are cheap and although tedious, relatively easy to replace. Power supplies however, can be rare, hard to find, impossible to find items and can be very expensive even more sometimes than the whole system. So I can see where they're coming from. Be kind of a lousy day if a 15 cent cap became the culprit of a system or power supply failure or something else very annoying.

Funny thing, every time I turn on an antique radio and/or phonograph I just about hear the entire membership of the Antique Radio Forum shouting, "Turn it OFF! and RECAP! before you BLOW it!

PS. I have a Peavey VYPYR 15 Practice Modeling Amp. Just checked. No Pops, if that means anything. I'm sure your unit is a completely different animal except for the manufacturer. Just thought I'd throw this in as a postscript for general interest. Oh, and... That's some Beauty of an Amp you got there. Perfect for a nice office.

https://peavey.com/c/Support

9. rojo412

rojo412 Tele-Meister

@goldguitarguy There is no standby, I'd have to modify it to do that. And I might! But as I was saying, I'd hate to do that mod then find out it didn't help.

@MadDogTele I didn't even know there was a Peavey Tech Support anymore, to be honest. This was made before everything was moved out of US production and I assumed that they pretty much gave up on dealing with stuff that was 10+ years old. But thank you for the link, I will reach out and see.

The funny thing is, there's a list of things I need to do for this and a few things are in the mail. Ideally, I probably shouldn't have gotten this amp, but I do enjoy an adventure sometimes.

MadDogTele likes this.
  10. Jon Snell

Jon Snell Tele-Holic

If it is mains arc from the switch, place a 0.01uF Disc Ceramic across the contact. That will stop any arcing.
    Screenshot 2021-02-14 at 18.37.33.png

rojo412 likes this.
  11. MadDogTele

MadDogTele TDPRI Member

Peavey seems to have a complete and wide variety of Support Resources which the Previous Link I provided earlier shows. I don't believe 10+ years is very old in the world of modern electronics. I've had cars with their original electronics, and other electronic devices, gadgets, etc, 30 to 60 years old that still had the same electronics that worked fine. And if you can imagine the abuse taken by being driven around in a car for over 110 thousand miles. I had a '62 Wurlitzer that came out of a bar and sat for over 10 years still worked fine and what an electro-mechanical wonder/nightmare that was.

Here's another Link:
    Peavey Customer and Technical Support
    "If you have questions concerning product operation, support or warranty, contact one of our Customer Support Representatives using our Forums, by email at [email protected], or by phone at 877-732-8391 (toll free in the US)."

Sometimes one ends up with a thing because that thing spoke to one. You and that Amp may just have found each other. In any event I believe 99% the "adventure" you have with that Amp will prove to be a bonding experience. I hope by working on that Amp you'll get to know it better than by just playing with it. I can't see the experience not becoming a beautiful personal relationship between the both of you. I believe, and this has to be true, that a musician's spiritual relationship with his gear is a significant part of the music that is created, the "feeling" within it, and maybe most importantly the "TONE". I've heard, and read, many times from musicians, especially guitarists: "It's ALL About The TONE".

Maybe that should be your "mantra" as you work on your beautiful, new, Amp. In fact, in the future, I know I'm going to adopt it!

12. clayfeat

clayfeat Tele-Afflicted

Switch it to the clean channel and turn the volume and reverb all the way down before you shut it off.

13. hnryclay

hnryclay Tele-Meister

All you have to do is turn the volume down.

dan40 likes this.
  14. pi

pi Tele-Meister

My C30 pops. Owned it for over 20 years now, with no issues, so I figure its fine.

rojo412 likes this.
  15. vanr

vanr Tele-Afflicted

Yep mine did that. If you turn the reverb down it won't pop.

16. wangdaning

wangdaning TDPRI Member

My super reverb does that, I always just assumed it was the reverb saying goodbye.

rojo412 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.