Peavey Classic 30 repair question...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by roadkillbill, Feb 18, 2008.

1. roadkillbill

roadkillbill Tele-Holic

My channel switch push button (on the amp) has stopped working, and the amp works on the clean channel only now..

I'm tempted to start taking it apart with the hope of simply replacing the switch, but will probably end up takikng it to a shop.

So what I'm wondering is: has anyone paid someone to do this kind of disassembly and simple repair to a Classic 30? What did it cost?

2. Madmaestro

Madmaestro Tele-Meister

I've done the Blue Guitar mods on my Classic 30 and I'll admit that I hate working on this amp! There are 3 circuit boards all joined by jumper wires and they break very easily, and they're difficult to get out. I'd recommend taking it to a technician.

Edit: The repair should take about an hour + the cost of the part. Hope this helps...

Last edited: Feb 24, 2008
  3. aztechmusic

aztechmusic NEW MEMBER!

I would take it to the shop

Hello,

If I remember correctly those amps switch by a FET IC or Transistor. Unless the switch feels defetive (like it's loose or coming apart) you probably have an
    electronic problem.
    And like the gentleman before me pointed out, they're no walk in the park to work on. There's 3 boards forming a U. The manufacturing process was all they had in mind when it was made, being able to work on it was not considered.
    You can work on them but it's a pain. The boards are connected by stiff "sort of right angle" wires. You have to flex them to get at a board, sometimes the wire pulls loose and now you have to fix that as well as the original problem.

If the tech is up on the amp, he/she should be in and out in an hour. If he/she is not, it will take longer or if the above happens and it's not discovered until the amp is being tested it will take longer. I used to cringe when one walked in unless it was the speaker.. :)

Hope this helps,

4. Pvee

Pvee Tele-Holic

Check the tubes first.
    I seem to remember that the overdrive channel on my C/30 was not working and I replaced one of the 12ax7's that fixed it.

5. roadkillbill

roadkillbill Tele-Holic

thanks for the replies....

.....I'd just about given up on getting a response.
    I've come to the same conclusion after looking at pictures of the board--I'll take it to the shop--but I'll definitely check the tubes out and make sure they're all working first.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.