Peavey classic 30 mods

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Sometimesyoudie, Nov 8, 2019 at 11:29 PM.

1. Sometimesyoudie

Sometimesyoudie Tele-Meister

Hey all,
    Someone recently gave me a peavey classic 30.

I like the tone ok, but it’s not really my style

I remember seeing a lot of threads and forums of extensive mods done to these little amps and I’m curious

I am pretty handy with soldering iron and schematics, does any one have any good mods to make this amp sound more fendery? Like richer bass, glassier highs?

I don’t really care about the gain channel because I use pedals

I know the real answer is “get the amp you prefer” but that’s not what I’m looking to do... I want to use this as a fun mod platform to make this thing sound better, it’s light, loud and looks cool so I’d love to be able to get a good deluxe or twin tone out of this thing

I’m also down to replace speaker or tubes if need be

Thanks guys!!

2. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

I'd start with trying diferent tubes and speaker, I had a modded C30 years ago, had some of the Blue Guitar Org mods not sure which ones, it was a great sounding amp.
    Later I had a couple stock C30s which also sounded good, one had a Celestion Vintage 30 speaker which I liked.

I'm sure others will have some suggestions but really good tubes , try different preamp tubes and speaker are probably the easiest , well tubes anyway, IIRC you have to pull the chassis to change speakers.

3. Sometimesyoudie

I can’t find those blue guitar mods anymore, the website has been discontinued or something, do you have the pdf?

4. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire

I have the Delta Blues (same circuit, but with tremolo). I don’t know that you can make it sound like a deluxe or a twin, given the different circuitry from those, but you can make it sound better. I bought a tube set from Eurotubes, and swapped a couple of individual tubes, and liked it lots more. I also never use the boost. There may be internal mods I don’t know about that will get what you want, but I never felt the need to perform surgery on it. You also have a lot more speaker options with your 1X12 than I do with my 2X10s.

Sometimesyoudie likes this.
  5. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nice someone!

I like Peaveys, have two of them, a Classic 50 twin and a Delta Blues 115. I don't know anything about mods; I'd just turn the knobs until I found the best sound it has in it.

Here's a link to an owner's manual, if you don't have that already.

6. Sometimesyoudie

Anyone tried a wigs veteran 30 in there? The celestian vintage 30 is my favorite speaker with my 6l6 amps so I wonder how well it would complement this one

7. Roman4405

Roman4405 TDPRI Member

I had a C30 for a while. I liked the tone out of it, the reverb just stopped working one day. Was on the shop for three weeks and they still couldn’t getting it working right. It’s got a funky split circuit board that’s on a 90 angle. Makes it a pain to work on. I went and bought a deluxe reverb.

8. Les H

Les H Tele-Holic

I haven't tried the Veteran 30 but my understanding is they don't have quite as much midrange as a Vintage 30. Which can be a good thing.

I have a Classic 30 head I use with a 212 cab with Vintage 30s. V30 is my favorite speaker and I prefer them with EL 84 amps personally but I don't find the Classic 30 as being a typical EL 84 sounding amp. It kind of lacks the harmonics I associate with EL 84s. The classic 30 sounds a little hard for lack of a better term. While it doesn't sound like a Fender I think it is closer to Fender than it is to a Vox. I think for an all purpose speaker something American voiced works better in the Classic 30.

As far as the Vintage 30s go if your using the classic 30s lead channel for rock/hard rock I think they work well with the lead channel over 8-9 on the pre gain. Because of the inherent midrange already in the amp combined with the additional midrange in the Vintage 30 I don't particularly like how it sounds on the clean channel even with the mids on zero on the amp. For additional help I use an EQ pedal to drop the mids out even more.

Which to your original question I would start with an EQ pedal to start altering the tone before tearing into that nightmare of a circuit board.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019 at 1:33 AM
    P Thought likes this.
  9. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

I like the C30 stock , and wouldn't recommend you mod the circuit. It's extremely hard to work on , the boards are folded inside , and it is not an area you start to do work like this , IMO.
    Forget about tubes , unless some are defective.

People cant even agree that they hear a difference or not.

Try a different speaker , anyone can do that , and everyone can hear a difference.

Turn the knobs , it's a quite responsive amp , I think , and I have had at least one since they came out.

It's got an effects in/out , use a humble EQ pedal in there , and you will be able to change sounds much more than the usual recommended circuit mods , IMO....

10. neilybob100

neilybob100 Tele-Meister

Love my classic 30 as is.

But if you really want to mod it, have a look on YouTube for Classic 30 mod

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

11. neilybob100

neilybob100 Tele-Meister

12. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Steve Ahola passed back on Oct. 11 of 2018. I loved all of his contributions, even if I wasn't always into whatever he was trying to achieve with some mods.

Anyway, his site lives on, here - http://blueguitar.ampage.org/

...It looks like there are no less than five different PDFs just for the C30 alone, so I won't post individual links to all of them here.

My thoughts on clean channel mods for this amp -

I had a Delta Blues 1X15, so it's not going to be 100% applicable to the C30. Long story short is that IMO, the OD channel really benefits from some mods, but the clean channel not so much.

...If you're trying to get around the boxy/middy/non-BF Fender tonality of this amp, it's probably not worth the effort. And IIRC, and unless Steve added more mods (the last ones I really twiddled with were around '99), I don't think he ever achieved any sort of combination of tweaks that really changed the amp into sounding truly BF-like.

As was mentioned by at least one person, the C30 PCB construction uses multiple boards that are basically attached at 90-degree angles, with jumpers fastening them at the edges. To get to the solder-side of the PCBs means totally disassembling the amp, and IIRC, flattening out the boards. It's totally possible to either tear a jumper connection or lift a PCB trace, especially if you have to repeat the process, to further tweak things, until the amp finally sounds right, and to your liking.

Also, as I recall Steve mentioning, when the amp is disassembled and then reassembled, there tends to be buzzes and such, between the cabinet and chassis, and maybe also between the PCBs and the chassis. He had a remedy that used weatherstripping or some sort of similar dampening material, so you'll probably just want to opt to do that, and prevent the possibility of buzzes and rattles.

...In the event you're not really looking for BF Fender cleans, there are potentially some really cool mods for the C30, IMO. It has a smaller output transformer, and no choke, and those two characteristics kind of work well for more mid-emphasized sounds, either clean or overdriven.

teleman1 and milocj like this.
  13. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

Use other out for 8ohm
    Clip neg feedback
    5751 v1
    It also likes any speaker except blue marvel.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019 at 12:24 PM
  14. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

I had a classic 20. Putting in NOS tubes was a major positive over new, new production. The difference was HUGE.

15. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks for the link I saved it! I've read that the Delta Blues circuits are the same as the Classic 30 but with added tremolo. Those are good sounding amps too IMO. I found that the C30's I owned I just used some good OD pedals into the clean channel, didn't really use the OD channel much, the shared EQ is difficult to balance out between clean and OD channels IME.

uriah1 likes this.
  16. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

They are a bit hard to work on. I would try the non invasive mods and leave it at that. But you likely don't like the EL84 tone is my guess.

17. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

I honestly think this is the worst series of Peavey amps and I’m shocked they’ve been around so long.

18. Amos

Amos Tele-Meister

I've had 2 Classic 30's over the years at different times. New JJ tubes definitely helped, as did swapping out the stock speakers for Webers.

Great little amps, but neither turned out to be my cup of tea, so both were sold. I guess I'm just a 6V6/6L6 guy.

Bottom line is that you can sink some $ into these, but if you're not feelin' it now, chances are you'd be wasting time and money trying to make the amp into something it's not.

unfamous likes this.
  19. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

IMO, most of the tone is not determined by the power section of these amps. I confirmed this by inserting the preamp of other tube amps into the return of the effects loop. The characteristics of any given preamp is what I primarily ended up mostly hearing.

...If someone doesn't mind experimenting with a bit of a Frankenstein'ed rig, and has another amp with an effects loop, IMO it can be at least a bit of fun to play around with combining the two.

Telecastoff1 likes this.
  20. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Holic

I just replaced the stock BM speaker in my C30 last week with a new Cannabis Rex. The improvement was HUGE! New JJ's were installed this past spring and it helped immensely, but the speaker upgrade really put the icing on the cake.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.