Peavey Classic 30 head

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by consumnfire1229, Dec 15, 2016.

1. consumnfire1229

consumnfire1229 TDPRI Member

What's up folks? I need some help! I've always been a combo amp guy with no real experience to speak of with extension cabinets. I recently picked up a Classic 30 head, cheap! I'm trying to understand what all of the numbers mean when choosing an appropriate speaker cabinet. I understand the Ohms. I've got that covered! I just need to make sure I am picking up the right wattage. I believe that if my speaker(s) are able to support 30 watts or greater, then I am good. Is that correct? To the left of the output to the speaker cabinet, there is the voltage information and list 150 watts! See the picture below. Also, I am open to any recommendations on a cabinet that others have used with this amp! Thanks in advance!

IMG_0156.JPG

2. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

I'd use a 50 watt if one, or two 30 watt speakers. If you are going to be running the amp wide open and kicking the front end with some gain pedals.
    I'd consider even higher output speakers.

That said, My Classic 50 has 4 power tubes, I have two pulled with an impedance adjustment at the speakers. I dunno if the C30 can run with two tubes like the C50 can. But that could lower you driver wattage requirements. It is also possible if the C30 is not plug and play with 1/2 power tubes, there is also a way to clip some pins on 1/2 the tubes and have that work at 1/2 watts.

3. backline

backline Tele-Afflicted

Generally speaking you want more power (speaker rating) than the amp will output. A 30 watt speaker is not "enough" from an engineering perspective. Most players (as r57 says above) would use 50 or more.
    The 150 Watts is in conjunction with 120V and 60 Hz. It is what the amp Consumes/Runs On and is not a reflection of the amps output power.
    Those are "respectable" amps. I dig the heads, but you do not see Way Near as many as the combo.....nice find.:)
    Good Luck With It

4. Mike H.

Mike H. Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

5. robt57

I'd like to hear that plugged into my Orange PPC112 with the G12-80/1777.
    But then, I like to hear any non Fender BF/SF voiced amp though that speaker.

6. consumnfire1229

Thanks for the info! In my research, I am finding that 16 ohm cabinets are not the most common. Lots of 8 ohm options. Any other recommendations regarding cabinets other than the peavey cabs?

7. robt57

Orange PPC112 comes with a 16 ohm V30. That is what I pulled out of it when I put in the G12-80.

8. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Afflicted

I had a "similar" speaker in my classic 30.i had the classic lead 80 in mine, not terribly vintage or special but I got it well broken in. It was a pretty neutral speaker and a great fit for it, miles better than the blue marvel. Sorry if that doesn't answer anything, from what I remember they were similar speakers.

9. consumnfire1229

I have the opportunity to purchase a Peavey 410e used. I feel like, tone wise, I will be very pleased with a 410 set up. However, the size is just not practical. This amp will be used almost exclusively in my home. Outside of the house, it will be small venues. $$$ wise, its hard not to go ahead and pick it up. I looked at the Orange PPC and I dig the black version.

10. robt57

I agree there. Dunno if it is just what I like from the day, but the g12-80 and G12M70 I have from 1980ish sound so much better than the CL80, or most Celestions since. It could be me, as remember not much love for the G12M70 particularly in the day. ;)

I have a 10 year old Greenback I like plenty though. ;)

11. Mike H.

Mike H. Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The Classic 30 head will sound great with that 410E cabinet. The form factor isn't huge. I have the 115E cabinet that is the same size. I think you'll be pleased with it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.