Peavey Classic 30 capacitor question

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Wally, Dec 3, 2019 at 6:45 PM.

1. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I have a Peavey Classic 30 open with the PCB pulled. I need to know what value C56 is. It is shown coming off of pin 5, V4...right in the middle of the power tube section drawing. The schematic has .1P10. The cap is tiny....and the markings are unreadable under the magnification I have at hand at the moment. If anyone knows what value this cap is, I would much appreciate that information.

here Is t
    he link to the schematic...sorry....I can’t get a pic to post.

https://schematicheaven.net/newamps/peavey_classic30.pdf

2. D'tar

D'tar Friend of Leo's

C56 = Screenshot_20191203-190706_Drive.jpg .1 mfd 50v

Wally and King Fan like this.
  3. D'tar

D'tar Friend of Leo's

Sorry you have to be in there Wally!:p

4. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

C'mon Wally loves this stuff! :lol:

5. Wally

well, love working on one of these??? Nah....I am not that much of a sado-masochist!! Eeehaw....

Thanks for that, D’tar. I just got an eye on it with strong magnification, and indeed there is a ‘104’ code there. I am not at all sure that this capacitor needs to be changed, but I am not taking this thing apart any more times than necessary. the problem is that the series AC Heater filament voltage is failing somewhere in that area.
    please wish me luck. If this one had not come to me along with a SFDR that I already know, I would not have taken it in.

6. DADGAD

DADGAD Tele-Afflicted

Wally, I recently had a C30 come in the shop with the same problem. It ened up being the soldering on the jumpers betwen the PCBs in that area. The tin soldered connections were failing and I reflowed the connections with good old Sn63 Kester solder.

I do not like working on Classic 30 Peaveys.

Wally likes this.
  7. Wally

I found one such bad connection, Dacious...but it was on the Filament 2 leg, which is the DC heater for the 12AX7’s. Fwiw, the DC section was working???? Thanks for the reminder to survey the entire thing...with soldering iron in hand...before putting it back together.

DADGAD likes this.
  8. D'tar

D'tar Friend of Leo's

A band mate has been asking me to work on his delta blues for over a year. I say no every time he starts talking about it, not interested. Wouldn't you know it, it shows up in my barn and he says look at it whenever you get time. Fix it, sell it.... Any one want a delta blues 115. lol. He knows I would never sell a broken amp!!!

King Fan and Wally like this.
  9. Wally

Lol, D’tar! I have a Kustom combo bass amp that a friend ‘donated’ in the same manner....fix it..sell it...give it away. It has an intermittent problem of cutting out. I have gone through it with no success....and with no more incentive to put time into it, it is useful for a quick instrument check or as a place to sit small amps or heads. I moved it yesterday thinking....how much more effort would it be to put it in the dumpster???

D'tar likes this.
  10. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

I have a friend who gigs with a Peavey Delta Blues (same amp, I think). When it stops working, he just tosses it an gets another. He says it's cheaper that way.

11. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire

Wow, you guys are nuts! If my Delta Blues stops working, there’s no way I’m just getting rid of it; it gives me a place to put my beer so I don’t get bottle rings on my PRII! (Also, that’s a nice solid cabinet to build something fixable into.)

BobbyZ, Paul G. and Wally like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.