Peavey Classic 20 tube head

Red Ryder

Tele-Afflicted
I've got a 1968 Harmony 540 speaker cab with four Jensen C10R speakers. Great sounding cab, but being 54 years old shouldn't really be pushed with a lot of wattage. It sounds good with my Excelsior Pro, but not really the sound I'm looking for and all my other amps are 100 watters. I've played on a pals Classic 30 and I think the 20 just may be the ticket for this old cab. Any opinions?

Henry Mars

Tele-Afflicted
I think. The C30 sounds better than the C20 but that is just me. I don’t seye why you cant push the speakers. I have a Peavey Cab (412) that is still very functional. I run it with my Deuce once in a while when I play outside and have people with strong backs to help me. There isn’t going to be much difference between the C30 and the C20 as far as your speaker cab goes. I wouldn’t let that be the deciding factor. That is just my take on it. Opinions vary with experience though. So let’s see who else chimes in with Other experience.

Marc Morfei

Friend of Leo's
I have the C20 head and it’s great. I expect it would be perfect for your cab. The great thing about the 20 is it has all the modern conveniences on the back - power scaling, XLR out, etc.

Red Ryder

Tele-Afflicted
I think. The C30 sounds better than the C20 but that is just me. I don’t seye why you cant push the speakers. I have a Peavey Cab (412) that is still very functional. I run it with my Deuce once in a while when I play outside and have people with strong backs to help me. There isn’t going to be much difference between the C30 and the C20 as far as your speaker cab goes. I wouldn’t let that be the deciding factor. That is just my take on it. Opinions vary with experience though. So let’s see who else chimes in with Other experience.
The new C10R's are rated at 25 watts, while the old ones from the 60's are rated somewhere around 16 watts. I have run my large amps through them, for just a short time. Don't really want to chance blowing one of them. With the 20 or even the 30 I could push them to the point where they give me that good classic 60's rock and roll breakup. Plus the 20 is the perfect size to sit on top of the cab as it is a virtical stack instead of a square side by side cab.

Marc Morfei

Friend of Leo's
A few pics of my C20 in action.
brick 2.jpg IMG_1200.JPG IMG_6016.JPG

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I have a Peavey C20 combo and it sounds great though the 10" Celestion.

Plugged into a 2x12 or a 4x12 it sounds huge. And plenty loud too.

You didn't mention how you plan to use the rig. If you're going to gig, I recommend a more reliable modern speaker because those Jensens from the 50s and 60s used an adhesive on the voice coil former that can break down over time and become brittle--depending on how the speaker was stored. They can work great and sound great until they don't. A blown speaker at a gig is a problem.

Red Ryder

Tele-Afflicted
Will play the old cab at home. If I play out I have my Excelsior for small stuff or I'll take a 100 watts and with four 12s. I have used the old Harmony for recording, great sound. And if I get the Classic 20 I've got other cabs if I want to travel with it.

Red Ryder

Tele-Afflicted
I have a Peavey C20 combo and it sounds great though the 10" Celestion.

Plugged into a 2x12 or a 4x12 it sounds huge. And plenty loud too.

You didn't mention how you plan to use the rig. If you're going to gig, I recommend a more reliable modern speaker because those Jensens from the 50s and 60s used an adhesive on the voice coil former that can break down over time and become brittle--depending on how the speaker was stored. They can work great and sound great until they don't. A blown speaker at a gig is a problem.
Also I put a newJensen C10R in my 1971 Gibson G10, big improvement.

schmee

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I have considered the CL20 before. It seems they can be a bit anemic in a band mix based on reviews. Compared with a CL30. keep that in mind depending on how you will use it.

Red Ryder

Tele-Afflicted
I have considered the CL20 before. It seems they can be a bit anemic in a band mix based on reviews. Compared with a CL30. keep that in mind depending on how you will use it.
When I play with my usual drummer and lead guitarist we have our mix just right because we've played together for quite awhile. Doesn't matter what gear we use. But my lead and I have been in situations where others just have to try and one up ya and the drummer might as well be using sledge hammers. If we aren't sure of the deal we take the big guns.

bowman

Friend of Leo's
I also have a Classic 20 that I bought new sometime in the mid-90s. Peavey made a 4x10 tweed cab in those days as part of their Classic series, and I got a used one I happened upon one day at GC. The C20 sounds great through it. Bigger than you’d think 15 watts should sound, and much better than the single 10 in the amp. I don’t use use the C20 much now, and I’m actually using the cab for a keyboard.

Rozman6262

TDPRI Member
I played the 20, 30 and 50 amps and liked them all. Currently have a 50 2x12 combo that I've used on and off for band rehearsals the last few years. What I dislike is moving it so it tends to sit for long periods. The Classic series amps are underrated IMO.

Henry Mars

Tele-Afflicted
I played the 20, 30 and 50 amps and liked them all. Currently have a 50 2x12 combo that I've used on and off for band rehearsals the last few years. What I dislike is moving it so it tends to sit for long periods. The Classic series amps are underrated IMO.
Peavey's are a working mans amp. I don't think that they are underrated by working full time musicians. It is just that there is no "snob" appeal with Peavey. I think they sound good and are built to last ( at least they used to be ). I have played thru the Classic 20, 30, Delta Blues and 50 and like them all. I know a lot of skill deficient players that think a boutique amp and expensive guitar is going to make them play better or sound better. On most gigs I use a C30 or BJ (all with speaker changes) and a modified Ibanez AM73B ( Jo MoJo pickups ) or a Mexican Tele. No complaints.
People get obsessed with gear and I don't know why. Pick the tool needed to do the job.
And you are quite correct these amps are under rated. All I know is that they don't cost a lot, sound good and have earned their keep.