Peavey Classic 20 Combo

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by frettchen, Nov 11, 2020.

1. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Afflicted

A friend of mine has an older one he's selling me for $250 (friend price). I'm going to pick it up in a few days and give it a whirl.

BB likes this.
  2. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

This amp will shine even more when you dump the modern tubes & use Old Stock. I had Mullards or Telefunkens in the el-84 slots and probqably like tubes in the 12ax7 slots. Man,stock them sounds great, but doing the tube upgrades brought this to another level.. They run really hot.

3. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

I had one of those and it had one of the best master volumes of any amplifier I’ve ever heard, in terms of great classic rock overdrive at home volumes. I don’t remember the cleans being the best so I would recommend installing an eminence 1028 Alnico speaker to give it a little bit more sparkle along with the growl.

4. patriotplayer90

patriotplayer90 TDPRI Member

My first tube combo amp. I was very young, and I like that type of sound much more now than I did then.

What you hear on YouTube is what you get, from my recollection. Vintage rock tone, smooth yet defined with plenty of gain on tap. Seems perfect for single coils. I'd like to hear what it sounds like now through an extension cab, and I've considered purchasing another

5. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

If you’re going to play through an extension cab, check out the classic 20 mini head that they put out a few years ago. It’s not the exact same circuit as the earlier combo, but a lot of people like them more, especially the clean tones.

6. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

I've got one that I bought new in about 1995 - I always thought it was a nice little amp with some real character. I played it almost exclusively with a Strat at first, no pedals, and I thought that was a nice combination. Later I started playing it through the matching tweed 4x10 mono/stereo cab that Peavey made for the Classic series amps back then - sounds really good that way.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.