Peavey Classic 20/30/50 Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Okieactor, Mar 9, 2010.

1. ljudsystem

ljudsystem TDPRI Member

I swapped the tubes but I couldn't figure it out on my own.
    I sent it to the local amp doc and he fixed it for me. Apparently there was some bad connection somewhere. Now it works like a charm.

Does anybody know if I can run the fx loop send to a mixer console and bypass the poweramp and speaker? Or is that a bad idea? Just curious.

2. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Holic

I just bought an older Black Classic 30 a week ago off CL. I got it super cheap because seller was having issues with it. So, after I bought it, I immediately tested the tubes. The four output tubes were brand new JJ's and in perfect condition. Two of the three pre amp tubes were shot, so I replaced all three with JJ's there also. All I can say is that I am extremely impressed with the sound quality of this amp. I've been hearing lots of hype about these thru the years and didn't really believe these were really that good. Well, they really are, as I've been finding out. I may just wind up keeping this one!

joe_cpwe likes this.
  3. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic

Congrats! I have black C30 too that I got for a song. Reverb was the only issue on mine. It just needed a reverb tank and one of the reverb leads needed to be resoldered. C30's are very good amps IMO and if you're a little handy you can get killer deals.
    I use old RCA 12AX7s in V1 & V3. The amp is louder, fuller, and the distortion is more pleasing with them than JJ. A few weeks ago V1 went microphonic on me, I swapped it into V3 and problem solved. It got me thinking I should find some more options so last week on eBay I picked up a pair of old Sylvania (green label) 12AX7 and they sound good too in my 15 watt amp. Not quite as much output but great tone. I keep reading that new Tung Sol re-issues are good but have yet to try them. For now, I'm using the old, USA tubes, and can get them about the same price.

Very bad idea unless you can put some sort of load on the speaker. You can't run a tube amp with no speaker or load box of some sort, you'll wreck the amp.

Telecastoff1 likes this.
  4. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Holic

Well, I've been playing this amp all week and am still amazed at how full and good it sounds. I really wasn't so sure if I was going to keep it or at the very least, change out the speaker first. The Blue Marvel is great in this amp. It's not lacking anything and doesn't fart out on the low, aggressive notes. It's solid! Granted, I only play clean...squeaky clean, but this amp with my Telecasters really performs! Now I get it.... what all of the hoopla is all about with these amps.

5. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

I am maybe week three in on my second Classic 30 since the first of the year.
    Both from Guitar Center. One week after the first one delivered, my local Guitar Center gets one 10 years newer and @$50 more.
    I took the first to test drive the second.
    Its a 2011 Cyclops and all my band loves it.
    Digging it a lot.

6. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic

Did you sell the first one or keep them both?

7. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

I returned the first one. Used the store credit for the second.
    Wishing now I had both.

joe_cpwe likes this.
  8. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Holic

After all these years, being used to much bigger amps, I've really put this Classic 30 thru the paces these past two weeks and I'm not finding any shortcomings at all with this amp. I'm really very surprised. This is not what I had expected. I'm debating which gig to take it to and see how it performs and holds up in the "real world".

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  9. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

First posted in 2011....this thing is still my default gigger. Best money i ever spent on an amp.

IMG_20180808_141405383.jpg

10. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Meister

have a Peavey classic 30 combo in my homestudio...and it's LOUD...so I use it with an attenuator to get some poweramp grid in the clean channel...what a great tone!

joe_cpwe likes this.
  11. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Holic

Just out of curiosity, what amps had you been using?

My Fender 75 has been overkill for many gigs (thankfully it's got a low power switch) but I'd be comfortable taking the peavey to a medium sized bar or hall gig. The loudness is easily comparable to a hot rod, and while the sound is more midrangy than my previous gigging amps, this would have been fine for either of the last 2 bands I was in.

Have you taken yours out for a gig yet?

12. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Holic

No, I haven't gigged with mine yet. We don't mic anything but vocals with the exception of some very large outdoor venues we occasionally do. Most of our gigs are bigger indoors with huge dance floors. Although we do occasionally play smaller gigs too, almost elbow-to-elbow stages. We play squeaky clean old Country tunes, so our amps need to sound as good and clean playing quietly as they would at the louder gigs. After all these years of playing with bigger amps, we've naturally become accustomed to having lots of clean, powerful headroom on demand. The kind of amps than can deliver that sound of clean power played quietly or much louder. To answer your question about which amps we've been using, mostly old Fender Twins, Vibrosonic Reverb 135 watts UL, Custom Vibrasonic, Dual Showman, Ranger 212, Special 130 x 2.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  13. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Holic

That makes alot of sense, things with similar sounds to those that are in the size and weight class of the C30 youd almost have to mic to still be really clean for big halls. I bought mine looking for something that stayed clean into the loudness my old bassman stayed clean (I'd given up on actually recreating the sound of an ab165 bassman without using an ab165 bassman, but simple and able to do cleans were important, its driven sound isn't as copiable) and its great at cleans while loud.

14. Classicrock

Classicrock TDPRI Member

New here to the Tele Forum. I've had a tweed Classic 30 since I bought it new in 94. Best workhorse club amp ever IMHO. Mine has only been re-tubed once with JJ's. Still works perfect and every time I look at new amps I think why? I do have a Katana I use for silent recording or if I'm required to line in to a PA and also I have a Roland JC I plug my jazz box into but honestly I will always have my Classic 30 and it will always be my favorite.

joe_cpwe likes this.
  15. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

Just got this 20. Lovin’ it. No dirt pedal needed lol.

CDBBE810-5A85-491C-9D5A-8CAFAED05E50.jpeg

33Jayman and joe_cpwe like this.
  16. neilybob100

neilybob100 Tele-Meister

Check out my Jack Daniels limited edition JD30-T. A Classic 30 in Jack Daniels black.

Love it and wouldn't part with it.

Anyone else had one?

I'm not sure if the speaker is voiced differently? [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

33Jayman and joe_cpwe like this.
  17. BeatlesAreMyJam

BeatlesAreMyJam Tele-Afflicted

Delta Blues?

neilybob100 likes this.
  18. neilybob100

neilybob100 Tele-Meister

Have heard good things about the Deltas.

Not sure how they differ from the Classic's?

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

19. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic

RE Delta series, from what I've read they are essentially the same amp except they have built in Tremolo and also differ in speakers config, 1x15 or 2x10 vs the Classics are 1x10, 1x12 & 2x12.

On the used market Delta series consistently cost more and I've not seen one that's beat up like I've seen some beat Classics before.

20. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

joe_cpwe likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.