Peavey Classic 20/30/50 Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Okieactor, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

I had a Classic 50 head... now on the look for another... hope to post a find soon. Nah, I don't need another amp... just wanting a C50. Will likely join ya' in the near future.
    btw... I have been around gear for a long time and there are two amps that stand out right with the ptp amps I've heard, played, and owned... one is any amp in the Peavey Classic Series (tweed), and most Music Man amps. Both brands are PCB...

2. Honeyman Scoot

Honeyman Scoot TDPRI Member

Just picked up the new Classic 30, I cannot stop playing it! I actually love the "gain channel" as well as the clean, they sound fantastic! Been playing with just a Barber Ltd SR as a bit of boost, and a Malekko Lo-Fi Ekkko in the loop.

Simply incredible.

I think my Blues Jr will be looking for a new home soon...

Honeyman

3. Tele-beeb

Classic 30's are pretty great. One of my playing buddies has one... easily ranks in the top ten amps I've been around... maybe in the top five...? I could make up story's how it slays dragons, but, let's just say it's pretty great.

4. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Holic

I just bought a used, older-style Classic 50 212, in exceptionally clean condition. Stock speakers. I haven't checked the tubes to see if they're stock, but the amp sounds really nice. I had never before played thru one of these amps, but have heard so much good about these that I started looking. I was a little concerned about it only being 50 watts and if it could keep up with my band without cranking it wide open. Concern is gone...this amp can get really loud with no effort at all. Great clean headroom. I've been playing thru Peavey and Fenders exclusively for many years now, with the exception of a Yamaha G100 112. I buy and play what I like. I look for build quality and great sound and don't care what it costs. Like most people, I won't throw my money at over-priced, so-so amps. This Peavey Classic 50 212 is an amazing amp thru and thru. I wish I would have bought one years ago. I am very impressed with it. IMO, these are worth a whole lot more than what they're going for, and I'm comparing these to the many many very expensive amps I've seen and played thru in my over 50 years of playing professionally. This amp is pro quality thru and thru. A true keeper! Great job Peavey!

5. geargasm

geargasm TDPRI Member

My New Twin

For years I did club gigs with a '71 Silverface Twin, the sound man hated me, the audience, although they liked our band, would, for some strange reason stand at the back of the bar room (probably to reserve their right to procreate sometime in the future), now, I have my ideal Twin, a Peavey Classic 30 connected to a 16ohm Celestion 1-12 cab. Voila! And the crowd and band and soundman was happy!:lol:

Attached Files:

• 039.jpg
      039.jpg
      File size:
      32.5 KB
      Views:
  6. Tele-beeb

Well, I got it and I get to join two active threads at once, this and the Peavey Tube Amp club.
    It's a Classic 50 212 old style. It needs some tlc and I have asked at Amp Central Station how to get the smoke smell out of tweed.
    I had a Classic 50 head a little over a year ago, I let it go in the small amp frenzy, almost automatically vowing to get one back.
    I haven't tried it out since I got it home... I will clean it up, get the smoke out and hopefully add pics in a while.

7. vanr

vanr Tele-Afflicted

Picked up an old tweed Classic 50 head. Looks like it is the first year production since it has no effects loop. Still had the stock Sovtek El84's in it. I put a RCA 12AX7A in V1 and a quad of JJ EL84's I had laying around in it and I'm digging the tones. My wife says I need a tweed 2-12 cabinet to go with it.

8. Fink132

Fink132 Tele-Meister

Yep. She's a keeper :)

9. vanr

vanr Tele-Afflicted

Boy don't I know it.

10. Tele-beeb

Say Guys, I got her shined up and ready for a pic... wha'd'ya think?

[​IMG]

11. vanr

vanr Tele-Afflicted

Nice man!

12. Cheapfuzz

Cheapfuzz TDPRI Member

I'm in, Classic 30 with a Red Coat Private Jack... This thing will ooze the blues.

13. trevorsnackson

trevorsnackson TDPRI Member

I should have my 410 tomorrow! Cannot wait!

14. tjnugent

tjnugent Tele-Meister

From all I have read the Classic 50 is the one. It has a Master Volume that the Classic 30 doesn't have. Also, it has a much bigger and better sounding Output and Power Transformer. This makes a huge difference on the tone.

I will be the first to admit, that the Classic 50 is a beast to move, but you get quite a bit more amp in regards to tone with the 50.

TJ

15. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

I play in a band with a guy who has a 50. He claims that in his previous band, he couldnt ever turn his 50 up past three at a gig and it was always too loud and the soundguys were always giving him **** about it.

He LOVES my 30.

Maybe its just him and maybe there are all kinds of ways to run a 50 at a gig that he didnt know about.

16. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I gots the Peavey Blues Classic 50 combo with a fifteen

17. tjnugent

tjnugent Tele-Meister

If it is working for your friend, who can argue that point. Perhaps the stage volume is really low. There is only about a 3db difference between the two, but there may be more to it. I am glad he likes the 30, much less to tote around... for sure.

TJ

18. geargasm

geargasm TDPRI Member

To give you an idea about the volume level and headroom of a classic 30, the drummer I play with plays pretty loud, and complains about my volume level if I go past 4, it still retains clean headroom to 5 and 1/2 or 6, so given that its volume level goes to 12, we are talking plenty of volume for anything, especially if you mike it, in a package 8 lbs. lighter than a 20 watt Fender Deluxe. So, you do the math.

19. Albertwang

Albertwang Tele-Meister

Some months ago I bought from ebay an original Peavey Classic 20..all original and in perfect conditions, it sounds very good, I use it a lot in my studio and live for small gigs (I always put a sm 57 in front of it).
    The only thing I'm disappointed is that there is nothing that keeps the tube staying in their place...I'm always afraid to move this amp from the studio and carry it with me in the car, becaus I don't want to break tubes....Any solution for this problem?

20. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

I put a Toms Tube Tamer in my Classic 30, easily available on the internet (got mine on Ebay)

dont know if it is made to fit the Classic 20, but it holds the tubes firmly in place

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.