Peavey Bandit - which one?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by 11 Gauge, Jul 3, 2019.

1. INFANT

INFANT Tele-Holic

I had both a red stripe Bandit and Studio Pro. I still have the SP but I have always regretted selling the Bandit. It was loud and clean and with the resonance switch set to loose, I found that the clean channel could sound a lot like my cranked Blues Deluxe. I've never found another SS amp that could do that, not my Studio Pro nor my Katana 100.

Best of all was that it took pedals extremely well. I sure miss that amp.

JayFreddy likes this.
  2. Les H

Les H Tele-Holic

Mid 90s black and silver is my suggestion. I almost bought one until the salesman had me try the Special 212 which was a 100 watt Bandit with another speaker and with a 3rd channel with active tone controls. That amp was very flexible and sounded great.

I later bought a red stripe bandit but I didn't bond with it. Something in the mids sounded hard to my ears. Those black and silver ones seemed a little more sweeter on the clean channel and I thought the reverb also sounded better on those as well.

I should have never sold that Special 212.....

JayFreddy likes this.
  3. GibbyTwin

GibbyTwin Tele-Meister

somewhere between Asbury Park and Atlantic City
    I have a '91 Bandit 112 teal stripe with a Scorpion 12" speaker. Great clean sound and pedal platform...and spring reverb. But as mentioned, it is heavy....but not as heavy as my Twin.

SPUDCASTER and jwp2 like this.
  4. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Afflicted

A few years ago I traded a pedal I never bonded with for a ‘87-ish
    Special 150, which looks just like a Bandit 75 Solo Series but with 150 watts driving the Scorpion 12.

On the clean side, that is a LOUD 1 x 12 combo. It doesn’t have the sweepable mid freq like the earlier 130 but between the passive 3-band tone stack, the bright switch and the active presence control there are a lot of interactive possibilities to dink around with.

I like it loud and clean with a touch of pedal compression in front and the mids pushed.

In college a dorm friend had a Pacer. He brought it over to jam at our off-campus house once and a can of chicken white meat fell out of the back (he’d wanted to take advantage of our stove to heat up some lunch).

From that point on his amp became known as “the chicken dispenser.” I liked the Pacer for the greasy, Skynyrd-y dirty tone it had.

Edit: corrected for autocorrect issues...is my smartphone smarter than I am? Not sure.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
    JayFreddy likes this.
  5. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

The G-100 Yamaha amps are legendary. The originals from the 70s were work horse amps, but the series II with the on board parametric EQ is a thing of beauty. The series III came out around 1990 and also has the parametric EQ, but pastel colored knobs. I like the series III just fine, but the series II is the one that gets all the love. Keep in mind that any amp older than 30 years old probably will need a cap job to sound its best.

The Transtube Special 212 was 130 watts with just the on board speakers. 200 watts through an 8 ohm extension cab.

FWIW, The Teal Stripe and earlier are all more than 30 years old now.

Most of the ones I see locally are in need of cap jobs, or will be soon.

Some of the Blackbox TT Bandits need cap jobs, but they also used cheaper potentiometers than the earlier ones, so the pots are scratchy on many of them.

The Red Stripes that were made in the USA are similar to the Blackbox ones, with the inferior pots. The problem with the Red Stripes is that some were made in China, and the Chinese ones don't sound as good to my ears... There was a learning curve.

The latest incarnation of Chinese Bandit, aka the Cyclops, sounds much better. It has now been in production since 2006, which makes it the longest run of any of the Bandit models.

The Chinese Cyclops Bandits are good. The reverb is digital, but in 1995 that would have been considered an upgrade.

I would not disregard the Cyclops because of the digital reverb.

I think the best advice is to not worry about the model, but spend your time finding a clean one in good condition.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  6. stax

stax Tele-Afflicted

I've bought and sold loads of different versions of bandits and pro studio pros, can't resist buying when they go so cheap.
    Currently have a early solo series but my favourite sounding one was a Chinese red stripe.
    I use valve amps most of the time but now the summer car and bike show outdoor gig season is here I prefer a good loud ss amp which the Bandit's undoubtedly are, a decent low gain od (gain changer) pedal into a cranked clean channel keeps me happy.

BB likes this.
  7. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Holic

I totally agree on everything said here about the Special 130 amps. I like them so much, I own two of them and these days lately, my Special 130 with the EV12L in it gets 99% of the gigs. The tone, power and reliability are really that good.

cousinpaul and codamedia like this.
  8. INFANT

INFANT Tele-Holic

I'm not sure I agree with Jay Freddy regarding the sound of USA vs Chinese Bandits/Studio Pros. I work for an electronics company and 99% of the name brand resistors and capacitors have been made in China for eons. I opened up my MIC bandit and SP and they both contained good quality parts. Circuit boards are made using the same Gerber files. The only thing I noticed was that on the US boards, the ICS were socket ed (replaceable). So electronically, they should be identical. The only difference may be in the speaker.

9. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

I've just got this one for a good price, in good condition and it sounds lovely

[​IMG]

It's very heavy for its size though, it's getting some side handles. Possibly some castors.

Veltek likes this.
  10. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

That is THE one!

11. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

I love my studio pro 112. I've had two bandits loved them but heavy as all get out. PIA. unless your 20 yes old.

12. scout2112

scout2112 Tele-Holic

I just picked up a 1x12 Bandit silver stripe with an Eminence Texas Heat in it. I've been pleasantly surprised just how good it sounds. Definitely the best bang-for-your-buck amp out there since I only paid slightly more than what the speaker costs! I use a modeler with effects for gigging now, but wouldn't hesitate to use this in a pinch. It has an excellent-sounding reverb and both channels have a gig-worthy tone, though for dirt I prefer adding a pedal to the clean channel.

I don't get the comments about them being heavy - it isn't too heavy for me, but I guess it's relative because in the not too distant past I hauled around a twin reverb to band rehearsals and gigs.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  13. Veltek

Veltek Tele-Holic

I've had TEAL and MIA RED stripes.

Teal stripe is my preference. Gain isn't as usable, but the cleans are better/warmer and more pedal friendly, from my experience.

14. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

I know this is a few months late... sorry...

Really... there are several Bandit choices... but only 2 era's.

The earlier Bandits (The Gunsmoke 50 watt, and the Bandit 65 Solo Series) were thick, loud, clean amps. The mids were very rich... not scooped at all unless you intended them to be.

Starting with the Bandit 75/112 then the ever popular Teal Stripe - the amps were being voiced more like guitar players were accustomed to hearing. They were a little thinner sounding (that doesn't equal worse) due to an ever present "scooped mid" like 99% of all guitar amps have. Many players preferred this tone... some (like me) prefer the earlier "thicker" clean tone. Just is just preference... not better/worse.

The Teal Stripe had all the "transtube technology" built within... but they never marketed it as such. The marketing begin with the next model... the "Silverstripe/Black Box". Ever since then the changes have been minor over the next few generations (red stripe MIA, red stripe MIC, Cyclopes)... the tone/voicing has remained relatively consistent.

Veltek likes this.
  15. Veltek

Veltek Tele-Holic

I agree w/ pretty much every statement. The best/nicest feature on the redstripe wasnt the "transtube" stuff, but that it had a Speaker out that upped the wattage to 100W.

Not a feature I really need in a tube amp though. I ended up keeping my nearly mint Teal stripe, and letting go of the MIA redstripe I had.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.