Peavey Bandit - which one?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by 11 Gauge, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

I have a Bandit 112 (teal stripe) that I am getting ready to sell. Perfect condition, scorpion speaker, sounds great, footswitch included. Let me know if you're interested.
    peavey-bandit-112-scorpion-speaker-103305.jpg

schenkadere, JayFreddy and SPUDCASTER like this.
  2. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Holic

The 84 I have is kind of mid focused and does well in a band setting. A tube screamer is too much (to me) for that amp and needs something flatter for outboard drive like an OD3 or a timmy. I have no experience with any of the newer peaveys and and own the SP40 because I saw so many of them in nashville bars back in the day. It's a one trick pony for sure. Loud clean and small.

3. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

The older, striped Bandits (red, silver or blue, 80 watts, 2-channel, 12" Scorpion driver, spring reverb) were true solid state, analog amps, that were loud, clean, reliable - and heavy!

The newer TransTube Peavey Bandit (80 watts, 2-channel, 12" Blue Marvel driver, digital reverb) is solid state, with digital processing, I believe, that is also loud, clean, reliable - and lighter than its predecessor.

Both iterations have tone-shaping and channel-switching capabilities, but most guys simply plug into the clean channel and use their fave pedals.

The Peavey Bandit has a loyal following, and for very good reason. It is one of those amps that has stood the test of time, and is still favored by tone aficionado's.

I had the newer Peavey Transtube Bandit, albeit briefly. For me, it was an impulse buy, based mainly upon its stellar reputation; but it was simply too big, too heavy, too loud, with too many switches and knobs, for my very simple needs.

My $.02... :rolleyes:

4. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

I'd hold out for an older Special 130 with the mid-shift control. I don't think it was available on the Bandit. Read up on it. I think it's something you would use, especially playing clean. The Special 130 is roughly the same size and weight as the Bandit, IIRC.

I read a funny story about session ace Dean Parks. He'd crank the mids on his 130 and find the nastiest most obnoxious frequency he could. That's where he'd put his dip.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  5. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Meister

I played through a Peavy Transtube version Bandit for a while and quite liked it. I thought it sounded really good for a solid state amp. It can cover a lot of territory. I swapped it to a guy for a late 70's Silverface Twin Reverb because the opportunity presented itself and not because I was tired of the amp.

6. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

Check the InTheBlues channel on YouTube. Shane Diiorio loves Bandits and has quite a few videos comparing various models of Bandits to other amps and to other Bandits.

intheblues and MilwMark like this.
  7. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

I've. Had many SS Peavey's over the years and cousinpaul speaks he truth here. If you are after a loud, clean pedal platform, the Special 130 is hard to beat.

In my neck of the olds, the go between $75 - $125. The suggestion for a silverstripe Studio Pro is also a good one. I paid $40 for mine. It's an 80's model with a 12" speaker and it's as loud and clean as several Bandit's I've had.

right now I'm running it 'stereo' with a monoprice 15 watter. The two work very well together.

Good luck on your search and let us know what you find.

Telecastoff1 likes this.
  8. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I had 2 of these that I left at various rehearsal rooms. Great amps-spring reverb, clean and loud. Sold the final one for $125. What I paid for it 10 years earlier!

9. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Keith - I haven’t had one for awhile. But my impression was that the Dynamics knob was a subtle compressor which worked well on the clean channel too, to provide some feel. Could be off.

INFANT likes this.
  10. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I have an early 80s Bandit 65 and an early 2000s Bandit 112 plus a Red Stripe Studio Pro 2x12. And I've listened to all the youtube videos on all the in-between-stripes and the back and forth. Really .. just get whatever Bandit you can find easy and cheap. You're going to use it for the Clean Channel with pedals. Rarely will you use the gain side other than maybe light gain to sprinkle over the top of your pedals. Any of the Bandits will do what you want.

How to use the T-dynamics

JayFreddy and JustABluesGuy like this.
  11. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Everyone's gonna tell you to get the model that they have. Pretty sure all the ones from the '80s and '90s are good amps, as are a lot of the other Peavey amps from that era. I had a friend with a 2 x 12" Heritage and it sounded great too. My main complaint is the weight - old Peaveys tend to weigh a ton.

I've got a '90s silver stripe Bandit 112. For a clean amp/pedal platform you can't beat it, plus it can get loud - like super loud.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  12. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

The idiot-proof Pacer is hilariously simple but, once ridiculed, now highly regarded. It was my first real amp, and I played that thing everywhere, with no felt need for anything else, until one of my nimrod friends burned it up somehow.

mexicanyella likes this.
  13. bluemud928

bluemud928 Tele-Meister

the bandit 75 had some of the best reverb I've ever heard. It also sounded great on tape, the clean sat in the mix comfortably.

14. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

I had 3 different era Bandits over the years: Bandit 65, teal stripe, red stripe. I liked the red stripe the most (followed by the 65) but my back didn't... Those MDF cabinets are rugged but not lightweight, and I eventually sold them.
    I am on the lookout for a US-made red stripe Studio 112 -- less mass, slightly less power, but essentially same features as the Bandit.

15. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

A friend of mine has an '80's Bandit that he inherited from his father (along with a Les Paul). I got to play through it one time when I was giving him a guitar lesson and really liked it. I ended up getting a Backstage Plus from the same era as I didn't need the larger speaker and extra power. Like you I run it clean and use pedals. I did a multi-band benefit gig one time and one of my bandmates heard some guys from other bands discussing how I made that cheap Peavey sound so good. They decided that it was my Zen Drive after they looked at my pedalboard. Funny thing was, I never turned on the Zen Drive during the whole set.

16. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

How much does the Red Stripe weigh? I can’t recall from when I had one.

17. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

If loud and clean is what you want, nothing will touch the Bandit 65 or better yet, the Special 130. These are the mid 80's models ('82 - '86) and should come with scorpion speakers. IMO.... every model since then improved on the overdrive/distortion tones but sacrificed the clean tones while doing do. I'm not saying the clean tones sound bad now, I'm saying they used to sound spectacular.

8trackmind and BB like this.
  18. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Afflicted

I’ve used them all, but owned the original Solo Series 65 (pair actually)... never cared a bit for the tone of anything not in the Solo Series. A pair of Bandit 65s, Special 130s, or Studio 40s can cover 99.5% of the gigs I’ve ever played, be it an6 sort of country, classic (whatever that is) rock, Tejano, Jazz, any of it

19. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

Mine is easily 45 lbs, but I’m not going to pick it up to weigh it!

20. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

I had red stripe US Bandit 112. It was awesome!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
    INFANT likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.