Peavey Bandit - which one?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by 11 Gauge, Jul 3, 2019.

1. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I'm looking to grab an old Bandit so that I have a workhorse that's loud and clean.

Beyond that, I have no idea why I might want to choose one from a specific era over another.

What are your preferences for any given Bandit, and why?

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  2. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I had the mid 80's ( I think ) Bandit 65,
    Which I bought used in maybe 1990.

It had that ( IMO) useless fizzy OD 'Saturation 'channel, but the Clean side and Reverb was to die for.
    Used it clean or with a TS-9 - plenty of volume for my old bar gigs

Daytona.57 likes this.
  3. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

The red-stripe transtube bandits are awesome. They have the cleans and power of the older Bandits (although the clean sound is somewhat different), and the gain channel is somewhat useable. But who cares, since you have the T. Dynamics!

Also it still has a spring reverb with a spring tank in the back, and they are still dirt cheap even after all the hype and "re-discovery."

I wish I had never sold mine!

JayFreddy and JustABluesGuy like this.
  4. 11 Gauge

I'll never use anything other than the clean channel. I've got lots of pedal options to handle any OD/dist/fuzz sounds.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  5. SolidSteak

OTOH, if "loud and clean" is mainly what you want, I'd say any Bandit will do... and the older pre-transtube Bandits have a better clean sound IMO.

What kind of reverb do you like?

codamedia and Sax-son like this.
  6. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

90’s silver stripe or red stripe with T-dynamics would be the ones I’d be after. The T-dynamics are really useful, and to me, these generations sound light years better than the older bandits.

JayFreddy likes this.
  7. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I have a Bandit 65 I bought new in 1987. It's done very well over the years. As others mentioned, I use the clean channel with modeling units.

However, if I had to replace it today, I'd probably strongly consider a Headrush FRFR-112 instead of another Bandit.

8. 11 Gauge

I'm curious about this, because IDK what role the T. Dynamics would have with just a really loud and clean amp.

Does it somehow compliment things when OD is added? By that, I mean OD external to the amp. I'm working under the assumption that you're only going to have "a dynamic thing" when there's some kind of harmonic distortion...or "something non-linear."

9. SolidSteak

After re-reading your preference for "loud and clean," I regret mentioning the T. Dynamics... the main reason for the T knob is to get the amp to break up sooner. I only ever used it with no pedals... I would think it might conflict with an overdrive pedal but I'm not sure since I never used one with mine.

10. SolidSteak

Okay, that one's going on my list now... I would love to see how a Tech 21 Flyrig would sound through that 2000 watt beast!

11. 11 Gauge

No, that's okay. I know that current class D power amp stuff like the Quilters and such have implemented circuit tricks that make the power amp behave like a tube output section, thereby (theoretically) nixing the ear fatigue that you can experience with a SS amp. In the case of the new stuff, it works even if it's a super clean signal.

...I just honestly never played around with enough of the TransTube stuff to experience if Peavey was trying to do something similar (starting) back in the 90's.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  12. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Afflicted

If you can find a mid 80s Studio Pro 40, don't rule it out. It's smaller and slightly lighter than the bandit but is still a 12". Like the bandit, It's also louder than it should be.

13. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I'm using one of these. I put in a Swamp Thang. Man, it is a loud, clean machine!

Telecastoff1, 8trackmind and 11 Gauge like this.
  14. Chiogtr4x

We know that!

E5RSY likes this.
  15. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

I recently picked up a red stripe Bandit really cheap. I bought it for it’s loud cleans, and it does that quite well. I don’t even hate the dirt channel when the dirt is rolled back some, but I better amps for dirt.

16. Chiogtr4x

I owned ( just a year then sold) an ( early 2000's?) Transtube Studio Pro, 1-12" maybe 60 watts
    It had a very good sound ( clean and dirty/several voicings) alone, but just 'disappeared' with our band at gigs ( we never mic stuff, just vocals)
    Reverb went out too....

17. 11 Gauge

I had a Swamp Thang in a 1X12 cabinet that I used with clean amp setups, and I favor some other Eminence speakers for the same purpose. So that is really good to know!

18. Chiogtr4x

I owned ( just a year then sold) an ( early 2000's?) Transtube Studio Pro, 1-12" maybe 60 watts
    It had a very good sound ( clean and dirty/several voicings) alone, but just 'disappeared' with our band at gigs ( we never mic stuff, just vocals)
    Reverb went out too....
    Too bad, it had good tone, but my 15 watt ( now aging) blonde Blues Jr. literally blew it away at gigs ( still does!)

19. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Holic

My bandmate bought an old Studio Pro 60 (or 65), and he's not happy with it. He handed it off to the keyboard player to use as a monitor.

I think the old Bandit OD channels are on par with the old pre-DSP Fender SS's. They're ok if used sparingly.
    I'd like to know how the old Bandits stack up against the old, non-DSP Fender SS amps. The early-mid 90's Fender stuff had some pretty good cleans, although they required some dialing in to keep them from being too peaky. But all cheap and cheerful.

20. kennl

kennl Tele-Afflicted

If you can’t find a Bandit, a Randall Orange Stripe RG-80 or a Yamaha G-Fifty will give you that headroom / volume and reliability.

JayFreddy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.