1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Peavey Bandit vs. Studio Pro

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by srblue5, Nov 5, 2020.

1. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Meister

I've owned a Peavey Bandit (late '80s, US-made) for several years, which I really like. Don't get me wrong, I do so love tube amps, but I think the Bandit is every bit their equal and also very reliable and versatile.

The only thing I don't like about the Bandit is the weight. To that end, I've been thinking about tracking down a Studio Pro, but I don't know much about them.

For anyone who has tried and/or owned both, how do the Bandit and Studio Pro compare? Tone-wise? Weight-wise? If it's not that much different from the Bandit in terms of weight, then I'll probably just stick to my Bandit.

2. rickthescot

rickthescot Tele-Afflicted

Well it's really just a little brother but not really that much less in the weight department.

3. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

The Blue Stripe ones that we had at the shop where I worked was my favorite Transtube amp of all time. We sold a lot of them, and at 60 watts and 112, they're very giggable, but a bit smaller and lighter than a Bandit. I don't remember how they compared to the 40 watt Envoy. Here's Shane's comparison, although these are the later Red Stripe ones.

And, here's his comparison of the Red Stripe Bandit vs. the newer version.

4. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

You can't go wrong with any of the Bandits. The biggest change between them can be a speaker swap. So don't get hung up on the 'stripe color'.

The Studio Pro I have is a 2x12 so the weight is more than a 1x12 Bandit.... I have a 65W original MIA Bandit and a more modern 112 Bandit MIC.

Given the worries about gig-carry weight ... a Bandit head would be a great marketing option for Peavey. Since they are still selling Bandits (MIC).

Pasta Player and DougM like this.
  5. Les H

Les H Tele-Holic

Somehow I doubt the Studio Pro is much lighter than a Bandit if at all.
    The Envoy 110 is going to be next size down with a noticeable weight difference. Great little but still giggable amps

6. INFANT

INFANT Tele-Holic

I had both a red stripe Bandit and Studio Pro at the same time. The Bandit was LOUD., Studio Pro, not so loud. It could not keep up with our loud drummer, so I bought the Bandit. There was definitely a weight difference of about 12-15 lbs. When I started playing with another drummer, the Studio Pro was perfect, especially on my back. Sound wise they are similar but the Bandit had a resonance switch that gave it a bit more looseness and I found that it made it sound more tube like. I ended up selling both and bought a Katana 100, same weight as the Studio Pro but louder than the Bandit.

Recently, I’ve been looking to pick up another Bandit as it’s probably the only SS amp that comes fairly close to a tube amp sound, takes pedals well and it’s practically bulletproof.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.