1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Peavey Bandit speaker upgrade? Texas Heat/Swamp Thang?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Chimey1, Apr 23, 2021.

1. Chimey1

Chimey1 Tele-Meister

I know this thread has been done 47 billion times but...Any new thoughts?

Latest edition Peavey Bandit with Blue Marvel. Upgrade with an Eminence Texas Heat or Swamp Thang?

Clean channel pedal platform. Mostly classic rock sounds. I like Fender tones - but versatility a bonus. Using BOSS SD-1, RAT, Sweet Baby, for dirt atm.

Same criteria as the rest of the world - don't like muddy low mids/bass or shrill highs.

Thanks! :)

2. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

Since you're running it as a "clean channel pedal platform" I recommend getting an IR cabinet pedal and putting it in the effects loop. This will give you a lot of versatility. This is what I did up until recently with my Bandit 65, first with a Mooer Radar then a Hotone Binary IR Cab when the Mooer was ruined in a power surge. I liked the user interface on the Hotone a lot more than the Mooer. I mainly use third party IRs from Ownhammer and York Audio.

3. Chimey1

Chimey1 Tele-Meister

Ahhh ..I'm going in the opposite direction. I want to get far away from IR/amp modeling, etc. I get options paralysis with IR's etc. I sold my BOSS GT100 multi effects and put my Joyo American Sound/PA speaker away for this reason. I just put together a real pedal board into a real amp - much happier. Simple. :)

VonBonfire likes this.
  4. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

That's a very real problem for some... even though I really enjoy the world of modeling and IR's I can certainly understand it is not for everyone.

I honestly don't have any real world experience with either of those speakers... but I am familiar with the latest Bandit. IMO - I would lean toward the "richer/darker" sounding speaker with that amp since I find it very bright and borderline thin.

5. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

I think everything sounds great with a Vintage 30, personally.

Jakedog and Chimey1 like this.
  6. Chimey1

Chimey1 Tele-Meister

Yes, my other option which I don't think I want to do right away, is save the ~$100 and put it towards a Fender Blues Jr IV? And, if so, which edition/speaker? Cannabis Rex? Wish they had a tweed, CR, BJ Jr IV option but can't find one.

Regardless, which speaker would be richer/darker, yet still clear for the Bandit? Texas Heat or Swamp Thang? And, I could maybe use it for a Blues Jr IV down the road?

7. Chimey1

Chimey1 Tele-Meister

Maybe not rated high enough watts for Bandit?

8. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I love the Eminence Private Jack in mine - it's in the "Greenback" camp, but higher power handling - great for classic rock/metal. I've also heard the Texas Heat in a Bandit and it sounds big and fat clean - great, great modern country rock tones with that speaker.

EDIT: FWIW, my Bandit is a 35 year old silver stripe. It has some inherent thickness to it, so the Private Jack sounds great. If the newer ones are inherently thinner/brighter, the Private Jack may sound thin in it.

Chimey1 likes this.
  9. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

I understand. I guess manage I keep it simple since I only really use two IRs 95% of the time now (EVM12L 4x12 and Princeton Reverb Oxford, multi-mic with room ambience).

If I was going to spend big bucks on an speaker I'd probably go with a EVM12L based on my experience with the IRs but they are very pricey. I've heard that the Eminence Delta 12A is a decent and affordable alternative. Since you are using the amp as primarily a clean pedal platform, the hi-fi nature of the speaker should work well for you.

Chimey1 likes this.
  10. Chimey1

Chimey1 Tele-Meister

I'm leaning towards ordering a Texas Heat today, since it's cheaper and lighter than the Swamp Thang. Unless, there's better options or a reason not to do the Texas Heat.

Marc Morfei likes this.
  11. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

Unless you have it cranked you’re fine.

I’m running a 100 watt amp through a single Vintage 30. Sounds great and I’m not lacking for headroom and not pushing the speaker hard.

Chimey1 likes this.
  12. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

I have an old silver stripe Bandit. After being knocked off of chairs, tables and tailgates, the coil on the Sheffield speaker finally broke loose and was giving off an awful rattle. I had an old, broken-in Celestion Seventy 80 lying around and tossed it in there. I was immediately impressed by the sonic differences. It seemed to have more bass and less obnoxious highs. A huge improvement, and a super cheap fix.

Chimey1 likes this.
  13. Lynxtrap

Lynxtrap Tele-Holic

Personally, I like the Texas Heat. IME they are a bit "thick" sounding, which I like, but maybe something to consider if the amp already sounds that way.

I tried one in an old Yamaha transistor amp, and that was a really good match (but I had better use for the speaker in another amp).

Chimey1 likes this.
  14. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

I have an 80's Studio Pro 112. I picked up a 12" Carvin bass speaker for $20, dropped it in and man oh man, what a difference. For a clean, pedal platform, it's amazing.

Chimey1 and jbylake like this.
  15. Chimey1

Chimey1 Tele-Meister

Texas Heat ordered. We'll see soon. :)

northernguitar and codamedia like this.
  16. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

I'd seriously look at the Eminence Lil Texas -- great speaker and sheds a few pounds overall.

Chimey1 likes this.
  17. Chimey1

Chimey1 Tele-Meister

Texas Heat is in - that was quick! I like it. Definitely does what I thought - for the better. I've only been able to do brief very low bedroom volume comparison so far but it feels and sounds more natural. Blue Marvel stiffer, thinner and brighter, Texas Heat more relaxed, bigger sound and feel. Not muddy but warmer.

I'll get more used to it... set my knobs and pedals a little differently and it'll be even more apparent the louder I can play it. And, I'll be able to get it out of the bedroom eventually... can't wait to crank it with drummer and bass again...etc. :)

Hopefully, this will hold the tube amp gas at bay for a little longer. (Blues Jr/ Bandit Stereo/Wet/Dry would be cool tho, yes?) :D

Oh, Bandit weight went from 39lbs to 41.4lbs. Not too bad. (Blues Jr IV, I've read, is 31lbs tho, hmm... lol)
    20210424_133856.jpg
    20210424_145151.jpg

northernguitar, BB and Lynxtrap like this.
  18. Les H

Les H Tele-Holic

I was going to recommend the Texas Heat among your choices as that's what I ended up going with in my Bandit almost 20 years ago.

When my speaker was new it was pretty stiff sounding in the highs so I put the amp in the garage and I would turn it on and run a 1/8 to 1/4 inch jack out of the headphone jack of a little radio into the amp and turn it up some and let it play all day while I was at work. I did that everyday for a week or 2 and it helped break in the speaker and it really warmed up the speaker.

My Bandit came with a Sheffield 1230 which is a knock off of the Celestion Vintage 30 and eventually it went back in as I was moving away from Fenderish type cleans I liked with the Texas Heat. So for classic rock I wouldn't rule out a Vintage 30 or cheaper derivative of that speaker in the future.

FYI the Eminence Red White and Blues is basically a Blue Marvel.

Chimey1 likes this.
  19. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Sorry I'm late to the party, but I have or had both the T.H. and the S.T., although admittedly I haven't used either with a Bandit.

Anyway, the T.H. is basically Eminence's take on a Celestion G12M-30, just with a bigger voice coil. It's basically a Private Jack with a bigger voice coil, and the Emi Governor is a Private Jack with a bigger magnet.

...That translates to slightly softer trebles with the T.H., and maybe a softer response overall, maybe slightly less punchy bass. I think the T.H. speakers are pretty good all around for all sorts of applications, whether you're looking more for cleans or overdriven amp sounds. I really like the T.H. paired with something else brighter or more aggressive in a 2X12 setup, but they are flexible and good with a 1X12, too.

The S.T. is more what I'd shoot for if I wanted mostly just cleans, particularly if trying to get a BF/SF Fender clean from a single 12. It will probably do overdriven sounds a bit better than super clean 12s, but it's mostly a big clean speaker, IME.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
    Chimey1 likes this.
  20. Chimey1

Chimey1 Tele-Meister

I can get long winded trying to describe tone but the quickest and easiest way to describe how it felt and sounded when I first strummed a chord after installing the Texas Heat is...I had to look down at my strings, they felt and sounded like I was in drop Eb compared to the Blue Marvel. I like it because it is more effortless and natural to play and took the slightly ice picky edge off the highs of the Bandit/Blue Marvel combination. Kind of cool to not just hear, but 'feel' that much difference.

So, the Texas Heat albeit still new, responds more effortlessly to pick attack compared to the Blue Marvel. Notes pop out with less effort. It is, for sure, less tight and bright than the BM but I can bump the treble knob up ever so slightly to 5 1/2 or 6 and the Texas Heat handles the brightness more smoothly and pleasant, to me, than the Blue Marvel with the treble knob lower. The bigger lower mids and looser bass of the TH are warm, natural and pleasant - still clear and not muddy.

The Swamp Thang probably would've retained more highs and natural sparkle and I'm still interested to know how it will sound in the Bandit but I was worried about too much bass and not attentuating the ice pick highs enough ( and even more weight) and I'd always be wondering how the Texas Heat would sound anyway. :)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
    northernguitar likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.