Peavey Bandit Foot Switch Issues

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by axlej11, Jun 19, 2016.

1. axlej11

axlej11 TDPRI Member

I'm having a bit of trouble with the original foot switch that came with my Bandit 112 Sheffield. My distortion is boosted through the crunch channel, so I dont have a convenience to switch to clean without switching my pedal off and rolling back my volume knob, and in that case my "clean" is quiet since it is still running through the lead. I plugged in the foot switch to the back where the jack was placed for it so I can go back and forth between clean and lead. I left the channel button depressed and when I click the foot switch, nothing. When I push in the channel switch, only when the foot switch is plugged in, it doesnt switch channels. However, when my foot switch is unplugged, I can switch channels with my hand on the amp.

So what gives? Is it the amp or the foot switch? Am I doing something wrong? Im asking here because I dont want to drop $50 on a new foot switch to have it be the amp. Thanks for reading!

2. Formerblonde

Formerblonde Tele-Meister

Hey there

Lot of possibilities when footswitches go wonky. Luckily, Peavey make a very simple footswitch circuit. As a general rule, each switch opens and closes a circuit exactly like the channel select on the front of the amp, so I don't think it's your amp. That being said, it could be the female socket on the back of the amp. Crap gets in there and can foul the connection. The contacts of the socket could be oxidized and need cleaning (a fine brass wire contact cleaner works well) as well as the plug contacts going into the amp.

If that plug is a 1/4" then make sure you feel the click as it seats. I have seen cases where rubber and duct tape keep it from seating properly.

The rest of your work is going to need a meter. You need to verify the wires from the plug to the switch are not broken....each wire. Even tho the cabling looks fine it's not a guarantee. Besides, once you use a meter a few times you can check it faster with a meter than any visual inspection.

Check for bad solder joints in the switch housing....they can be difficult to see and inconsistent when metering so I usually just touch them up with a soldering iron as a matter of course. What's left to look at are the switches themselves. The meter should be able to show you each switch is "off" and then "on" when you press it. These switches take a lot of abuse so they can fail.

Good Luck. You're a technician now.

3. axlej11

axlej11 TDPRI Member

Thank you for the response. I will check back and use your advice when I get home!

4. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

One of the wires in the footswitch is probably broken or needs to be re-soldered, if so it's a 4 minute fix with a soldering iron, maybe less.

I've had wires break in the middle also from stage use, getting pulled, kicked, etc.

If the actual switch is broken they cost about $8 plus solder-time - you don't have to pay the $$$ for a new pedal. Find an honest music-store with a tech if you can't solder.

5. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

See if someone has another TRS dual footswitch that you can use , try it and see if the same issue happens with the amp channel switching, if so , it's not the footswitch that is the problem.

6. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Peavey has a support section with all the old user manuals to download. It's helpful since I just got a Bandit 65 and had to look up how to get the clean channel to work. On this model the amp defaults to the lead/distortion channel unless the foot switch is plugged in, then the clean channel is available to select.

7. axlej11

axlej11 TDPRI Member

Thank you for the responses. The plug is not clicking into place on the back of the amp. It goes in and wont let me switch to my distortion channel, which makes me wonder if that is still an issue since it does that. Im gonna pull it apart after work tonight and check the wires out.

8. Ringo

Might be a bad jack .

9. axlej11

axlej11 TDPRI Member

Thats what Im thinking. I might take the footswitch to a local guitar shop and plug it in to a different amp. Sorry for the slow replies Ive been extremely busy with work lately.

10. axlej11

axlej11 TDPRI Member

Its the jack. Ill bring it with me down to the music store tomorrow when I trade in my old distortion pedals. NEW QUESTION: My amp is a mid 90s Sheffield Bandit 100w. The drive channel doesnt have enough gain for my taste, and Im having trouble tweaking my tone with the metal muff now, Im actually going to be trading that in. Will I get the little extra boost I need with a tube screamer? I know theyre meant for tube amps but I dont need "hella gain" I just need a little boost and some tightening up.

11. Abu Twangy

Abu Twangy Friend of Leo's

I've use a number of boost pedals with a Bandit 65 I once owned. some which were in the Tube Screamer class. They can provide some pretty good gain but you may need something with even more ooomph.

12. Ringo

Sure an OD or distortion pedal will work with a Peavey SS amp, you may have to try several to find one that has the "tone" you like.

13. axlej11

axlej11 TDPRI Member

I got the Tubescreamer TS9. Dialed in the sound I wanted within 5 minutes. Sounds awesome.

14. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

My Bandit red stripe is working just well. It has a vintage, modern, and high gain setting. With a footswitch. I have to turn on the lead switch so it will work.

15. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

I had issues with mine I got in February 2014.
    The included foot switch didn't work as it should. I discovered that I needed a specific switch for the Bandit that had Channel and Effects switches on it. I had expects that most any two button foot switch would work it , but no.
    Since yours was working , I'd carefully do as others have suggested and clean the input on the amp first and work your way up the cord to the switches themselves.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.