1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Peavey Bandit Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Daddydex, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Thomas Anderson

Thomas Anderson TDPRI Member

Thanks for the info. ;)

2. PetarA

PetarA TDPRI Member

Any thoughts on Pre-transtube VS transtube Bandits..?

3. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Afflicted

Just my own opinion:

Pre-transtube "overdrive/distortion" is crap for anything other than 80's style metal. They are still a fantastic clean amp and/or pedal platform. I have a teal stripe/Scorpion. It's a workhorse clean amp. I never touch the dirty channel.

4. PetarA

PetarA TDPRI Member

Very useful. Thank you very much.

5. strat56

strat56 Tele-Holic

I have to disagree. I used a Bandit 65 for years with no pedals at all and the overdrive was great. I still have a Bandit 65 and a Special 130 and the overdrive on both is great, you just need to dial it in the way you want it. The key for me is the "Pull Thick" switch. Of course everyone has an opinion.

6. PetarA

PetarA TDPRI Member

Useful as well..
    Tbh, i am leaning more towards the pre-transtube-gimmick-serries..although i might be wrong..
    I need a subtle overdrive, for en extra edge..not exactly a distortion at all...

7. BelairPlayer

FWIW the teal stripes don't have a "pull thick" switch. The 65 may have a differnet/better overdrive. I've never heard one in person. I stand by my eval of the teal stripers. It's a great amp either way.

8. strat56

strat56 Tele-Holic

There are so many versions and configurations of the Bandit it's hard to answer questions about them in general, even saying pre or post transtube isn't specific enough. The ones I'm talking about are called the Solo Series. Made in Meridan, Mississippi in the early to mid 80's, looks like this:

[​IMG]

9. strat56

strat56 Tele-Holic

I have a red stripe which is TransTube and 65 which is Solos Series (pre-transtube) The overdrive on both sound good to me. You can dial in the edge of break up thing easier with the Solo Series. The red stripe has a switch on the dirty channel to do 3 different versions of OD, High Gain, Modern and Crunch. I find the crunch setting very useful on the red stripe.

JayFreddy likes this.
  10. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Hey folks
    Anyone replaced or repaired the effects loop send/return 1/4" jacks on their Silver stripe yet? Been using the effects send / return the past year and a couple weeks ago lost signal and wiggling the eloop jacks brought the signal back. These jacks are soldiered strait to the board, wondering if heating the joints might be enough or should I replace the jacks right off.

11. BelairPlayer

When replacing those jacks, you're better off using "flying leads". That means you run a jumper wire from a proper panel mount jack to the corresponding pad on the pcb.

JayFreddy likes this.
  12. Marcelo R

Marcelo R Tele-Afflicted

Hello, I guess this is the right place to make some questions. Here you got a Bandit for sale, second hand, here in Uruguay - these are poor quality pics, I know it, but it's not my fault. Everything seems to be in its place - knobs, jacks. According to the seller, everything works fine. However, he says that when you plug a microphone on it, it sounds noisy, but an instrument sounds all right. Well, I certainly would never intended to plug a microphone into this amp. The seller says that some technician guy told him that there was "a problem with the ground connection" and therefore, that's why the microphone sounds noisy. I'm no technician at all, but for what I know, this doesn't makes much sense, or does it?

So what do you think? Is it worth buying or not? (Price asked is $ 290 - not a bad price in this world's corner).

Best regards.

BAND0.jpg

BAND1.jpg

BAND2.jpg

13. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

$290 is far too much for a thirty year old Bandit. I don't care what part of the world you're in. For only a little bit more, you can get a brand new one.

And there is no separate mic input on that amp, so what the seller is telling you is that one of the jacks is bad. It's probably an easy fix, but for $290, the seller should fix it first.

Also, keep in mind that the filter caps in those were designed to provide 10 years of trouble free service. Since the Bandit 112 in your pic is probably an 1988 or 1989 model, the filter caps are probably noisy too.

When they are fresh, the amp will be nearly silent unless you are playing. An electrical background hum is a sign that the caps need to be replaced.

An older Bandit with fresh caps will sound better than an older Bandit with old caps, but a new one will sound even better, and you'll get the warranty for everything else too.

The Bandit is a good solid design that has evolved over several decades. The new Chinese ones are probably the best sounding Bandit ever made. Will they last 30 years? Probably not, but they should last 10 or more, they'll be under warranty for the first 5, and they'll sound better the whole time...

Good luck!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
    AndrewG, Marcelo R and ZackyDog like this.
  14. Marcelo R

Marcelo R Tele-Afflicted

Thank you very much for your kind answer. It certainly enlightens some aspects that I haven't thought of - the filter caps issue, for instance.

As you may have guessed, there's a nostalgic element on my thoughts of buying this amp. Back in the 80s, my very first "true" amp was a Peavey Backstage. I sold it in the 90s and I've never seen one of these again.

Besides, if there is a "Bandit Owners Club", I would be honored of joining it :)

As for the price, well... Peaveys are now pretty scarce around here, even the new ones. Second-hand amps surely are cheaper in USA, but you can take my word on this: you won't find any respectable second-hand Peavey in Uruguay for less than $ 250. Yes, economics are a hard matter, and it's even harder here.

Thanks again, best regards.

JayFreddy likes this.
  15. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin Tele-Afflicted

Can anyone give me a recommendation for a good clean booster or transparent overdrive that works with the clean channel of the Bandit?

16. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

GrantR and Mr_Martin like this.
  17. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Email Peavey and ask them to direct you to a Peavey dealer in Uruguay. I'm sure there's at least one in Montevideo. Keep us posted!

18. Marcelo R

Marcelo R Tele-Afflicted

There was a direct Peavey's dealer in Montevideo, 30 years ago. There's no one today, just some importers that work with many different brands. The last shipping of new Peaveys arrived to Uruguay some years ago, and since then, they haven't appeared here again to the date. Thank you very much for your replies, best regards.

JayFreddy likes this.
  19. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

I searched 'peavey bandit cover' but nothing comes up...
    I have a Bandit 65 and a recently acquired US-made red stripe, both in ridiculously good condition given their age, and figure I'll be keeping them for a while. I would really like to get covers for them for transport, but don't want to spend almost as much on a cover as the amp costs! Who's found a reasonable deal on decent covers for these?

20. BadBen

BadBen TDPRI Member

I got one for my Silver Stripe from http://www.amplifiercovers.com/. I think I paid about $50. I'm satisfied with the quality of it.

JayFreddy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.