1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Peavey Bandit Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Daddydex, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Notronfan

Notronfan NEW MEMBER!

I just joined the club.

MiM red stripe bandit with switch that i bought online for $119 from the Macon Guitar Center.

It arrived today in a huge box and I had a quick look during my lunch break.

Great shape on the outside--but on closer examination--yech, mice had made a home nestling between the reverb tank and the baffle. Mouse turds everywhere.

Oh and the reverb doesn't work. (Bag is chewed on--maybe they got to the wires.)

And upon examination--reverb tank has a spring with a broken ends

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
    Faraldi likes this.
  2. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

Definitely gross, but an easy enough fix

stax likes this.
  3. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

I have a Transtube Series II Bandit 112 Made in USA red stripe. I usually plug in my mfx straight into the power amp. But I found out that my tele sounds great on it directly plugged in. So, as of late, I just bring my bandit, a footswitch, flanger, and the Ditto X2 when needed, and I'm gig-ready!

4. Thomas Anderson

Thomas Anderson TDPRI Member

The "new" one is in palce :)

WEB-IMG_1559.jpg

But... the new one is not fully working...

The power amp section works well and I can use it through the"Pwr IN" with my VOX Tonelab EX working as a preamp section.
    The preamp section of the Bandit has a sort of "rumble" or "hum" when powered, and the signal is not able to fully power the power section. Sadly it's unusable, I could try with a noise suppressor pedal, but I don't think is worth a try because of the lack of power.

No luck with the change of a couple of parts (look at the image below), the "noise" has lessened but is still annoyingly audible...

WEB-SAM_1897.jpg

Any advice? :rolleyes:

P.S.: excuse me for my bad English, my native Language is Italian :)

5. strat56

strat56 Tele-Holic

Are those two wires connected to U2 factory? Also it looks like C17 is damaged and leaking?

6. Thomas Anderson

Thanks for the reply.

The 2 wires connected to U2 are not factory, they are a "bridge" (don't how to call it) because my tech damaged a couple of tracks on the pcb in the process of changing the part.
    C17 has the plastic part melted but is fully functional. Infact, as I said earlier, after the change of the two parts the "noise" has lessened but is still there.
    In your opinion, what are the parts in the preamp section that can cause a behavior similar to what I described?

7. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I purchased a Bandit 65 in 1986. Great clean sound, but that "Saturation" circuit sounded like a cheap radio that was turned up too loud. And like most Peaveys of the era (and some currently), it was fugly. Peavey is famous for making fugly amps that last forever.

8. stax

stax Tele-Afflicted

There's no way in the world I would call whoever did that work a "tech", a butcher would be a better word.

PhoenixBill likes this.
  9. Thomas Anderson

I agree with you and that's why I brought back home the amp and I didn't pay him for his "work". But befor asking for help to another "tech" I would like to have an advice to give him to look for.

Do you think I could find another preamp board (new or used) instead of trying to repair the damaged one? Any advice?

10. stax

stax Tele-Afflicted

I'd just get another and keep the broken one for spares, good Techs cost money, quite rightly too but I've bought several PV's including two Red Stripes (one Bandit one SP) for less than it would cost to repair one.

11. Thomas Anderson

Once again I agree wth you :)
    I bought this one as "broken" and my intention was to have spare parts in case of problems with my other Bandit (see photos) that works flawlessy and is now my favourite amp ;)
    But when I received it I found that the Power section worked perfect with my Tonelax EX so I decided to try to have it fully functional.

I bought this one for € 30, and other € 5 for the new parts (as stated earlier I didin't pay the tech because of the crappy work done on it), so if I can continue to go "cheap" in repairing I will have another Bandit in good shape for short money ;)

That's why I'm trying to repair it, and I thank in advance everybody who will give me a good advice on this.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
  12. stax

stax Tele-Afflicted

I think it would be quite interesting to have both chassis side by side on the bench, the working one and the one with a fault and see if the circuits are similar, might be reasonably easy to trace voltages etc to see where the problem lies?

13. Thomas Anderson

For me, the disadvantage lies in having to disassemble the functioning one... I have no good vibes in techs... they are not guitarists :D
    And they don't care about old SS amps... they prefer swap pcbs, not soldering ON pcbs...

At the moment I've send an email to Peavey Customer support asking for advice or for a new preamp board... we will see.

14. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

I have a 112 working and a 65 with non-working Reverb (first replaced the socketed op-amps with no luck), that I'm planning on doing the voltage trace. I suspect I will need to get an O-silly-scope to get it sorted out...
    Hopefully the 112 reverb section is close to the 65 in design (first scan of the 112 schematic shows some recognizable stages).

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
  15. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin Tele-Afflicted

Then listen to the 3 Lou Reed albums with Robert Quine on Guitar.
    He said: " The only amp I ever used on the three Lou Reed albums I was on was a Peavey Bandit."
    And he has the best distorted sound i've ever heard.

Quine Solo at 2:30

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  16. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I can't tell if this is a joke or not. The solo itself is hideous, and the tone is a generic distorted guitar sound. I can't discern if we're hearing the amp's "saturation" circuit or a stomp box of some sort, but I hear nothing spectacular here.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  17. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

[​IMG]

I had a good time looking for that C17 thingie like in a where s waldo book. I usually find waldo, but never found the C17.

The solo or the amp sound ?

Thomas Anderson likes this.
  18. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin Tele-Afflicted

I didn't say it's spectacular, but it doesn't sound like a cheap radio turned too loud either.
    I know from old interviews, that Quine used the "saturation" of the Bandit.

Robert Quine: My friend Jody Harris turned me on to Peavey stuff in the late '70s. Incredibly inexpensive, they sounded great, and the solid-state stuff could take a LOT of abuse. Most importantly, using the master volume for good distortion was an actual possibility, compared to the Fenders at that time. The only amp I ever used on the three Lou Reed albums I was on was a Peavey Bandit, upgraded with an EV speaker.

19. Thomas Anderson

Thanks for the reply.

The C17 is a "CC 50V 0.047μF 10% AT" as stated in the Parts List of the Peavey Bandit 112 Service manual.

Here's the Parts List with C17
    Ritaglio.jpg

P.S.: I have to read "Where's Waldo?" book :)

20. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

It might be a different name in italy. It s called ou est charly in france. So charly is Waldo. I think it is Ubaldo dove sei? in your country.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.