1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Peavey Bandit Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Daddydex, Feb 4, 2010.

1. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

I do most of my gigging these days with one of my two USA made red-stripe Envoys, for this very reason. At stage volume (pretty moderate for us old guys) the 10 has monster mids, and pretty decent bottom end. Put another way, the louder I play it the better it sounds.

I also have a red stripe Studio Pro 112 which I love, but I don't carry anything heavier than necessary anymore.

GrantR likes this.
  2. tidalcast

tidalcast Tele-Meister

Pound for pound some of the best amps I've used regularly for the combination of reliability and being able to get a good, usable tone out of them. My first "real" amp when I started 8 years ago or so was a Bandit 65. If I have any problem with them, it's that the ones I like(that same model, still, when I can find them) are getting to that age where they need a real checkup from a serious tech before I can bring myself to trust them on the road.

3. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

How does one go about doing this exactly? Spray it on a Q-tip and work it around in there? Tear the amp apart and use a rag?

4. strat56

strat56 Tele-Holic

Spray it on the plug of a guitar cord and plug it in and unplug it a few times and spin it around while it's plugged in. I've also been known to wrap the plug on a guitar cord with some fine grit sandpaper and do the same thing.

GrantR likes this.
  5. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

Thinking about sticking an Eminence Legend 1058 in my old 50 watt Bandit just to lighten things up a bit. I'm getting old you know. Anybody try it?

6. INFANT

INFANT Tele-Holic

I ended up going the other way. I bought a near new Jensen C12K for my redstripe Bandit hoping to tighten up the sound. It added so much weight that I pulled it out and put it in my redstripe Studio Pro which now seems to weigh more than the Bandit. May have to sell it and buy a neo magnet speaker. My back can't handle this anymore.

7. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

Good God man! Bandits don't need to be heavier!!!

8. INFANT

INFANT Tele-Holic

I know, I know!!! That's why I pulled it out! However, I decided to put it in my nice portable Studio Pro to replace the crappy Chinese made speaker that it came with. Dang, now it weighs more than the Bandit!

9. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

Initial results of the speaker test are in...

Eminence Legend 1058 sounds great in my old 50 watt Bandit! It's much lighter too! :D

BIGD5 likes this.
  10. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Afflicted

I just picked up a Silver Stripe 112sx speaker cab off CL yesterday, in really nice condition for only $40 bucks. It had a Sheffield Pro 1200 speaker in it, which I didn't care for. So, I loaded an EVM12L in it to match my Silver Stripe Bandit. Huge, sweet sound. I wouldn't hesitate to gig with this setup anywhere whatsoever. Love the looks, and love the clean, huge sound. It's nice to have finally found the correct, matching cab for this amp.

11. TimmyV

TimmyV Tele-Holic

If you think the silver stripe cabs are hard to come by try finding a red stripe one. I'd love to have one but I'm not going to pay the price they want for the few I've seen on Craigslist or eBay.

12. Bill Moore

Bill Moore Tele-Afflicted

A couple of years ago, I bought a red stripe cab off the bay, and cut some of the round over out to install a silver stripe chassis. It actually worked fairly well, but I've since put the chassis in a head cab. I've thought about cutting it down, and calling it a speaker enclosure, but I already have a 112SX.

13. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

I have an early Bandit 65, have thought of selling it over the years, in light of all the cool SS amps that have come out lately. But, it sounds so good, is so loud and also bulletproof, that I just leave it at our practice space, where it delivers great tone every week. Just a great loud/clean platform for pedals, with real tank reverb. Great backup for gigs, or primary amp for sketchy locations.

McGlamRock likes this.
  14. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Poster Extraordinaire

Just picked up an old Blue Stripe Bandit for $99.

It sounds great! Reverb is nice and the OD is good too, great tone and versatile

I bought it for the reason GuitarJonz described: Great back up/ or primary for the sketchier gig locales

Bill Moore likes this.
  15. BIGD5

BIGD5 TDPRI Member

This is something I ran across and just thought it was a cool reference to the shreddy Peavy image of the 1980's. This is when this guy was in high school so it's nothing pro shot but listen to the amp when he turn's it on. He states "what a pleasant sound" talking about the Bandit's gain channel hum!

16. TimmyV

TimmyV Tele-Holic

Just fired the redstripe Bandit. It still amazes me just how good the clean channel is on this amp. Not real big on the dirty channel but I backed the gain down on the vintage voicing and ran tube screamer in front of it . There's some great 3D gain structure in this combination! [emoji50]

GrantR likes this.
  17. markal

markal Tele-Afflicted

New Bandit Club member here. I bought USA red stripe and have been playing it for a week (at bedroom volumes for now). I'll take it to a blues jam this weekend.

I really like the clean channel, but I'm less satisfied with the lead channel so far. It sounds kind thin or flat to me.

So how many of you use OD or distortion pedals on the clean channel? And which pedals do you like? I'm after a vintage-esque blues and classic rock tones.

18. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

I dont use the Bandit's dirt channel, but the clean channel on the Bandits yields a good clean sound, and is loud. I EQ mine as close to a clean Fender as I can (scooped mids), then use my Fulldrive II pedal on the clean channel. It sounds fine to me. I'd expect most Tubescreamer type pedals to sound fine in this application.

19. TimmyV

TimmyV Tele-Holic

Yep, clean channel . I use a danelectro TOD version 1 ( Timmy clone) , a tube screamer and a rat clone. I also run a visual sound comp 66 in front of them. It kinda takes a bit of the fuzziness out. I prefer the sounds I get from this combo of pedals and the bandit than I do using them in front of tube amps. At louder volumes I run a 6 band eq for a little extra bottom end. This amp does tend to loose that some when you start turning it up. Most all SS amps do.

20. pauljo1963

pauljo1963 Tele-Holic

I'm thinking of picking up one of these

Peavey Special 112 Solo Series single unit Guitar Amp. Made in the USA.

Eminence speaker

apparently 130watt?
    AUD 200
    any info ????

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.