1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Peavey Bandit Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Daddydex, Feb 4, 2010.

1. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

Bandit 112 Teal Stripe reverb pan molex connector wiring

Ok, I initally posted this in the amp forum but this thread may be more relevant. Just acquired one an early 90s in need of some TLC -- I need to reconnect the pulled/unplugged reverb pan...

Anyone know which is the input and output on the 4-socket molex connector that plugs into the chassis to sort out the cables? The connector goes in only one way (one end is pointed), so if anyone has opened theirs up, I'd appreciate knowing which wire leads go to the pan input & output before flipping a coin.

Thanks!

2. Tel E Twister

Tel E Twister Tele-Meister

I'm pretty sure the longer wire just goes to the further RCA jack and the shorter wire goes to the closer RCA jack on the tank inside the bag. Looking at the back of the amp, the bag opening, where the wires go in, is on the right and the jacks are on the front side, closer to the back of the speaker baffle.

3. Bill Moore

Bill Moore Tele-Afflicted

Plug it in, and if it doesn't work, reverse the leads, nothing will blow up!

4. Thee FiNKS

Thee FiNKS TDPRI Member

joined the Bandit club a few weeks ago with a 50 watt and just picked up a 65, Ive been playing my Bandit through a 4X12 sounds great, cant wait to try the Bandit 65, besides the ground and a few other small things i dont see much different. did they use bigger transformers in the 65? wonder what the differences are.

5. Tel E Twister

Tel E Twister Tele-Meister

Welcome Thee FINKS.
    I have both. The Bandit 65 is 65 watts. Transformer size, IDK.
    One obvious difference is the Gain controls.

The Bandit's (50w) Post control affects both the Lead Gain and Normal Gain channels, but each have their own Pre control. One Post and two Pre.

The Bandit 65's Lead and Normal channels are separate. Lead has Pre and Post, Normal has Post only, even though it says Pre, it's not. One Pre and two Post.

Without a footswitch plugged in, they both default to the Lead channel.

I love both of them, but I love the 65 just a little bit more :)

6. Chris_S

Chris_S TDPRI Member

I've had a Bandit Red-Stripe for about three years now. It's my only amp and I use it for gigs and at home (rehearsal place supplies Fenders). I play mostly clean and I found the tone a bit ice-picky. It didn't seem to have a nice rounded low end, even with the bass turned right up and the mid and high turned to half or less. I changed the speaker about a year ago and put in a WGS Retro 30. I was hoping for more but it didn't make a tremendous difference (compared to the Sheffield).

I have a Behringer MIC200 pre-amp (with a 12AX7 tube) that I previously tried using between the guitar and the amp but I didn't find that it made a lot of difference. I recently tried it again putting it straight into the amp Return socket and finally, that did make a difference. It totally bypasses the Bandit pre-amp thus, the gain and volume must be controlled from the MIC200. It also has a selector switch for some modelling options (I use the 'Valve' setting). I find that the tone is now warmer and richer. I swapped out the standard Bugera 12AX7 in the MIC200 and replaced it with a Tungsol. The jury is still out on whether that has (further) improved the tone or not. With the warmer tone now being fed through the (power) amp, I may also be getting more benefit from the WGS speaker.

Overall, I am now very happy with the tone coming from the amp. I have a BOSS multi-effects pedal that I put between the pre-amp and the Bandit so I can use that for reverb, echo, chorus, sustain and overdrive. It doesn't seem to rob any tone so I'm still getting the warmer tone with the effects added.

For my purposes, this makes my Bandit's (clean) tone fairly close to a tube amp. I don't need real tube overdrive, I can use the BOSS effects box to add some OD if I need it. I don't think that I'll still be considering replacing the Bandit with a tube amp (as I have been doing).

One of the benefits of the Bandit is that it's inexpensive. I paid $140 for mine in almost new condition. These changes increase the investment but not by a huge amount. The WGS speaker was about $75 plus some shipping and the MIC200 was about $60. You would probably get most of the benefit without changing the speaker. Whatever way you slice it, that's still a lot less than the $400+ that you'll pay for a used tube amp.

I think that this is a good approach if if you play retro stuff (as I do) or blues where the warmer tone will make a difference. If you play metal or other stuff with a lot of overdrive then you may be quite happy with the stock Bandit.

NOTE: I did some before and after stuff but I'm not happy with it (yet). If I can make a version that I'm happy with, I'll post a link.

7. Thee FiNKS

Thee FiNKS TDPRI Member

I was wondering what the difference between the two 50 Bandit and the 65 Bandit, Im using it in a old school punk band (1975-83 era), so I only use the lead channel, Ive read that it is a better clean amp, but it works out great for the early 80s Replacements type sound, through the 412 cab it gets a Marshall tone but it is still has a unique tone.

8. therealjoeblow

therealjoeblow NEW MEMBER!

Ditto on that, ice-picky is exactly how I found my red-stripes (I have 2 of them).

I replaced the Sheffield 1230's with Eminence Legend V128's, and it has improved the tone 1000x if that's possible. All of the harsh upper mid-range and treble has been tamed, and there's way more low end thump if you want it, but it can be easily dialed back with the bass controls. Basically, it sounds great now with all of the tones set to 12:00 or slightly tweaked from there. I'm way more happy with these than I was with the stock speakers, especially in the mid to higher-gain settings.

Cheers
    TRJB

9. BIGD5

BIGD5 TDPRI Member

Same here with the Eminence Legend V128.

10. jwp2

jwp2 Tele-Holic

I just joined the Bandit club with a 90's teal striped Bandit 112. I plan to replace the Sheffield speaker with either an Eminence RWB or a C-Rex.
    I've been gigging with a TRRI for a since the 90's but am not a tube snob. Especially when I hear a Bandit 112. Awesome little amp!

11. TimmyV

TimmyV Tele-Holic

Yeah, I know what you mean. I have an Ibanez tsa15h and a peavey classic 50 both of which I love. But I also have a USA redstripe Bandit that (every time I plug into it) puts a big ol smile on my face! That Clean channel is hard to beat! The lead channel ain't bad either.

12. jwp2

jwp2 Tele-Holic

I can't get over how much bang for the buck you get with the Bandit112. An honestly good sounding amp at a fraction the cost of a tube amp! I'm playing my first gig with it tomorrow. I'm truly excited about it too! Heck, It'll be nice not to have to lug my Twin Reverb around for a change.

13. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

The Scorpion speaker is underrated. Not sure why the Sheffield was used.

14. jwp2

jwp2 Tele-Holic

I've never used the Scorpion but I understand it was a brighter speaker than the Sheffield?

15. INFANT

INFANT Tele-Holic

The c-Rex is only rated for 50watts. Make sure that you get a speaker capable of handling the wattage.

16. jwp2

jwp2 Tele-Holic

Good point! I guess that rules out the C-Rex.

17. Algy

Algy TDPRI Member

Hi, Algy here with a chinese Bandit 112. I´m just a plug-and-play-user, no technician, so i don´t understand the following. Found this video on YT, where "intheblues" from Australia shows the . He´s telling, he replaced the original speaker with a Celestion Vintage 30. IMO the Celestion has 60 watts, the Bandit 80 watts. No problems with that???

Thanks! Algy

18. strat56

strat56 Tele-Holic

I believe it would only be a problem if he cranked the volume up much higher. He said he was running it at about 25%, that wouldn't be putting nearly the maximum wattage thru the speaker.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
  19. TimmyV

TimmyV Tele-Holic

I blew a tube in my Classic 50 so look what's back on the milk crate! ImageUploadedByTDPRI1428379293.503085.jpg
    It's never sounded so good! And yes that's my 59 dollar First Act ME501 which IMHO is an excellent guitar!

20. teleman55

teleman55 Tele-Holic

Just had to test a pedal and plugged into my Bandit 'cause it was by the door. It's a teal stripe one with the scorpion speaker. Love this amp but don't use it a lot and...wow! I forgot how truly amazing this thing sounds. And not just the clean. The drive channel is a sound to behold.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.