Peavey Bandit 65

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Marc Morfei, Jan 27, 2020.

1. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

I know there are plenty of people here that love the Peavey Bandit. How does the Bandit 65 compare to other Bandit versions? Someone near me is selling one for $100. I’m thinking of something I can just leave and use in our rehearsal space, so I don’t have to load my other amps in and out for gigs.

2. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

To me, the best feature is the clean channel because it works very well with modern modeling units. It's almost like having a FRFR amp. I don't think I've used the lead channel in years. I never found it very inspiring.

The Bandit 75 is very similar, just a little more volume/headroom. The Special 120 is an even louder version.

I've heard the newer "TransTube" Bandits don't do clean the same way but I haven't confirmed that.

3. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I forget which, but in the mid '90's I got a Bandit 65 or 75, and that clean Channel, Reverb were amazing.
    Plenty of volume for my bar gigs. ( I owned a BF Pro Reverb that was ' sick' at times, so the Bandit was an often-used backup)

That Saturation Channel was completely useless ( terrible fizzy distortion) so it just didn't get used.

But just like with a Clean Fender amp tone, the Bandit clean tone was something I often used for rhythm plus a lot of clean lead work ( Country/blues/R&B fills)

Then I setup an 'OD Channel ' with a TS-9 ( which in part was actually designed to pair up with SS amps) at a high Gain/ grind setting. NOT the way SRV would use ( thru his Fenders) with Level cranked and Drive ( almost) OFF.

This worked great for me. Miss that amp!

DougM likes this.
  4. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Get it.

Great clean. Actual reverb tank. Durable. Loud. Takes pedals well.

To use the drive circuit on the 65 you'll need a foot switch or make a jumper out of a guitar replacement plug to go in the footswitch. I think I have mine tied with a tether so it doesn't get misplaced, but I use the clean mostly. Most players will plug their pedal board into the clean channel and get their tones from the pedal array.

Transtube starts with clean channel, turn the volume all the way up, and turn the t-dynamic knob to get the 'old school cranked Marshall' tone but be ready for insanely loud. If you want a demo, find YouTube channel whips cheap guitars bandit.

FenderGuy53 likes this.
  5. Stratospheric

Stratospheric TDPRI Member

I have a studio pro 112, which I think is the same, 65w and 12” speaker, mid nineties. Clean is great for jazz, not too clean like a Roland JC, but still heaps (heaps!) of volume. Spring reverb is also great. Lead channel is near useless though. If you find a setting you like take a photo and post it. Can’t go wrong for the money. Mine had some issues with dirty pots and low output. Cleaning the pots didn’t fix it, but cleaning the contacts in the effects loop jacks got it back to 100%. Also makes a loud pop when turned off. Probably just an ‘undocumented design feature’. I plan on keeping mine indefinitely.

6. Marc Morfei

Judging from the pictures on the ad, this one does not say "TransTube." It only says "Solo Series." Does this mean it is lacking something that later "transtube" versions have?

Also, to confirm: you need the footswitch to use the clean channel? I don;t mean switch back and forth, I mean access only the clean channel. That seems weird. I do have a Peavey FS from a Classic 30. I'll assume that would work. I would only need to use the clean channel. I use my pedal board.

7. Stratospheric

Stratospheric TDPRI Member

I know I don’t need the foot switch to change channels. Mines a non-transtube. If it’s an older teal stripe (sounds like it is) it won’t have transtube, or need the foot switch for channels. Also if it’s the teal stripe it should be hand wired and made in the USA. Pretty sure the transtube (red or silver trim) models have printed PCB’s. I haven’t played a transtube model for a long time, so cant comment if they are a lot different sounding, but no biggie if you are running pedals in front anyway. Transtube is supposed to be some kind of valve emulator circuit, so may be less desirable? I put a Klone pedal in front of mine for slightly dirty cleans and love the tone. Excellent pedal platform.

8. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I owned an early 2000's Transtube Studio Pro ( forget complete name, but 65W one 12") that had the 2 channels, the adjustable Transtube control, the OD voices options

All of these features sounded very good at home, but absolutely BURIED in a bar band context ( and I was only guitar!) - just no decent volume to cut through.
    Later lost the Reverb and sold it cheap on CL.

A real disappointment after having owned the Bandit 65 ( earlier but sold- me stupid!)

9. Marc Morfei

Here's a pic of the one for sale:
    00f0f_2rvIlA8tcdy_1200x900.jpg

That Cal Webway, Chiogtr4x and Hiker like this.
  10. Dave_11

Dave_11 TDPRI Member

That one looks just like my Bandit 65 I bought in the early/mid 1980s. Does it have the Scorpion speaker?

11. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

It was made in USA with a Scorpion speaker. What are you waiting for?

12. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

$100 is a good price on this... if it's in good working condition. Keep in mind... the amp is fast approaching 40 years old and may need some servicing.
    CAPS wear out on SS amps as well ;)

The Bandit 65 is a "flatter response" amp than later bandits. They have thick mid range... not because it is boosted, but because it is NOT scooped. Later Bandits were voiced with a little more scoop in the mids because that is a preference of many players. IMO... I prefer the tone of the 65 over any other version. You can always dial the mids back a little if you feel you need to.

Here is a frequency analysis from the "pre amp out" of a Special Special 130 (the Bandit 65's bigger brother) fed with pink noise. This is with ALL controls flat... and I do know the Bandit 65 is pretty much the same. Notice how FLAT the frequency response is... that is very unusual for a guitar amp, it leaves the tone shaping to YOU!

special130_flat.jpg

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
    DougM, Chiogtr4x and LGOberean like this.
  13. Marc Morfei

Thanks for all the advice! Yes, scorpion speaker. I'll call the guy. for the price of a pedal, if it is something I will get any use out of at all, it seems like a smart move.

codamedia likes this.
  14. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Hi! I’ve had an original bandit for 35 years. I’ve had many other amps come and go, including a Peavey tube stack w/ a digitech twin tube preamp, Fender BF Super Reverb and a Jazz Chorus. I’ll never get rid of my bandit. The Bandit I have pre-dates the Bandit 65 and is a bit more rare, but it is basically a 50-watt version of the 65. It is great clean and takes any pedal extremely well - the pre-amp out/power amp in makes a great FX loop and the spring reverb is gorgeous. I also like the saturation channel with a little bit of breakup and an overdrive pedal in front of it. The only thing I did not like was the scorpion speaker. It’s too full range - they used the same speaker in small pa cabinets at the time, I think. I put an Eminence Private Jack (similar time a Celestion Greenback) in it and never looked back.

I think it’s a steal and a no-brainer to pickup this amp!

15. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

When I saw this thread I thought for a minute that it was one started earlier this month about a Bandit 65 new amp day. I posted to that thread, and I will here, too.

I had a Bandit 65 that was stolen, or else I would still have it. Prior to that sad turn of events, I owned other Peavey amps, Studio Pros and Envoy 110s, and a Bandit 75, which followed the 65 model. Over the years, I gave away or sold off all my Peavey amps except the Bandit 65. If I find one again in good working order and the money's right, I'll snap it up. And $100 is a good price for one these days. I can't remember the last time I saw any of the Bandit iterations in local pawn shops. It's been years. And when I did see them, they were priced way more than $100. eBay and other online sellers typically have used Bandits listed for more as well.

16. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Holic

Peavey Bandit 65 facts:

It is the (third) Bandit, from around 1983-85
    It’s not a practice amp. It’s a loud beast.
    There is a true spring reverb. Don’t forget to land a good kick on the amp at the end of the song. :D
    The distortion channel works well if you dial a moderate gain and saturation and use your volume knob, it is quite touch sensitive. That’s if you don’t have your favorite overdrive pedal.
    It is heavy. Even if you get robbed it won’t leave the room.
    It is tough, if ever it dies you can still use it as a stool.
    Some say Bandits are designed to survive a nuclear holocaust.
    The tolex covering is harder than anything I know. You never see a ripped or worn out Bandit.
    It is a long lasting amp but be realistic, it is almost 40 years old, it may need a trip to the tech some day.

Mine is waiting for a repair.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  17. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

As I said, I used to own a Bandit 75 as well as the previous iteration (the 65). I don't recall offhand the exact years of production, but the 75 was only in production a year or two, like 1987-88. Peavey bumped up the wattage output on this model by 10 watts RMS, but I think otherwise the circuitry was very much the same, and the cabinet virtually identical. These two iterations were loud, robust and reliable.

Yes, the TransTube technology dates from 1995, so the original "Gunsmoke" Bandit, the Bandit 65, the Bandit 75 and the Bandit 112 Solo Series predate the "TransTube" badge. However, I have heard it said that the teal stripe Bandit 112 versions from the first half of the 1990s had much the same circuitry, but were not yet badged "TransTube."

And yes, you need a footswitch to access the Clean channel of the Bandit 65, a design flaw that was corrected with the Bandit 75 on. That never was an issue for me since I had the footswitch from the beginning.

18. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

For switching you need a footswitch... if you just want to access the clean channel, you can insert a dummy plug into the FS jack. (a short cable, a 1/4" jack with no cable, etc... etc... )

FWIW... With my Special 130 the Lead Channel sounds IDENTICAL to the clean channel, if you do the following....
    1. Keep the saturation turn off
    2. Turn the POST gain up full
    3. Only use the PRE gain for the volume
    I'm sure the Bandit 65 is the same.

Telecastoff1 and Marc Morfei like this.
  19. strat56

strat56 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I thought if you just plugged a 1/4" plug into the foot switch jack it would switch to the clean channel.

Telecastoff1 likes this.
  20. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

It is the same for the original 50 watt Bandit and the Bandit 65.

codamedia likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.