Peavey Bandit 112 w/ Scorpion ?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by motwang, Dec 9, 2012.

1. motwang

motwang Tele-Afflicted

Finally got to play this amp.It works well, but none of the guits they had were in very good shape so I let on that amp was not working quiet right( a good cleaning would probably help sound to), Reverb worked great. Seems the pawn shop is only open on some Saturdays for short hours. I finally went through that town and it was open this time! Got the guy down to 80.00 but the back is gone and wow what a filthy thing inside as well. GC sells used ones for 100.00, so I'm holding out for 60.00, if it's still there in a couple of weeks he might deal. It was still there after four months so he might just want to get rid of it for the cash.:lol:

2. motwang

motwang Tele-Afflicted

Well finally went back and the Bandit still was there!got it for 75.00 , and the dirt I got off it was incredible, I think I could have grown potatoes in that thing! Cleaned and cleaned and finally got it looking presentable. Works good with pedals, and will be puttin it throulgh its paces. I'll be taking it to band practice next time to see how it cuts through the mix! Some have said a Blue marvel speaker would improve the sound, anybody have any thoughts or suggestions? Scorpion seems fine, just thinking of options!

3. Bongocaster

Bongocaster Friend of Leo's

Blue Marvel? Blue Marvel:eek:

Over a Scorpion? You got to be kidding. I can see switching to something else - love my Scorpion in my Bandit 75 - but not a blue marble.

4. motwang

motwang Tele-Afflicted

That's kinda what I thought! Thanks for confirming my suspisions.:lol:

5. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

I think your Bandit is most likely a Solo Series Bandit 112. The Silver Stripe/Black Box Bandit never came with a Scorpion speaker.

The Silver Stripe usually refers to the first Transtube Bandit, also known as the "Black Box" Bandit. I prefer to call it the Black Box, because it eliminates any confusion with the earlier vertical slat models. Doesn't really matter, but it's the only Transtube model with a silver stripe...

Prior to the Transtube models, all Bandits had two vertical aluminium slats holding the speaker grill on. There were a bunch of 'em. These are NOT silver stripe Bandits... Some of the later models of the Solo Series had a blue stripe across the front, and this version is known as the "Teal Stripe" which is where the idea of naming a Bandit after its "stripe" began...

I've attached images of a Teal Stripe Solo Series Bandit 112, and a Silver Stripe / Black Box Bandit (with stock Sheffield speaker)

http://highboldtage.wordpress.com/2013/09/20/history-of-the-peavey-bandit-112-amp/

Attached Files:

6. motwang

motwang Tele-Afflicted

Here is mine. And yes this is a scorpion speaker! As I said before this thing was dirty!! It was literally Brown in color from the grill cover to the tolex! She cleaned up pretty nice. :lol:

ForumRunner_20131028_184642.jpg

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  7. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

My 1991 Peavey Stereo Chorus 212 (teal striped) has the original Scorpions. I can crank it, (rarely do) and those speakers will not distort to my ear. They handle 260 watts with no problem. Very rich low end.

8. motwang

motwang Tele-Afflicted

I have 2 old Peavey amps now, the Bandit and an Austin 400. I am so impressed with these I'm tempted to look for an old Peavey tube amp! I need something with lots of clean headroom, but can still get some breakup! I play mainly country and some 60's,70's and 80's R&R.:lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.