1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Peavey Bandit 112 w/ Scorpion ?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by motwang, Dec 9, 2012.

1. motwang

motwang Tele-Afflicted

I found in a pawn shop a Peavey Bandit , Silver Stripe 112 with Scorpion speaker in it . It has the chrome corners on it and says Bandit 112. probably 1980's model? If it works I may try to get a deal on it. It is the dirtiest amp I have ever seen, literally. It doesn't appear to have any damage to the tolex, and I can repalce the cloth easy enough, clean circuits with non-conductive cleaner, and try to clean speaker cone with some air. But man it's dirty. I play pretty clean for country music, so is this amp worth the effort? Need some advice on what problems to look for if any. I will plug it in and play it before buying, but due to its condition, and if it works I think I'll start low on my first bid and work up . they want $90.00 on the tag. I can buy one a lot cleaner than that somewhere else. I'm thinkin' start at $35 and see what they say. outta be worth $50 if it works fine? What do you all think?

2. Tele-phone man

Tele-phone man Tele-Afflicted

If the speaker is good, and the amp actually works, just get it. You can clean it up. Even for $90, it's a deal providing that the speaker is OK. The Scorpion is a great speaker, but if it's blown or torn, it will cost you a bunch more to get it reconed. The electronics on these are pretty bullet proof.

3. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

If it works and you can get it for less than what they are asking it should be worth it, I've cleaned up some really dirty old Peavey amps and they worked fine.
    If the speaker is bad forget it.
    They sound pretty good for a SS amp, good clean channel, good reverb (if it is working) you can probably find a useable blues tone on the gain channel but the one I had sounded a bit raspy.

4. kevinp

kevinp Tele-Meister

I picked up a 112 solo series from a local on line auction, not really expecting it to work I got it home, cleaned it up, and sprayed the pots, and it works great!
    I didn't have 50 bucks it.

5. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

For $50-$60 bucks it's worth it.

What Ringo said on it's usage.

Good luck

6. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Afflicted

As described, I believe 50 bucks would be top end for me. You can find 'em in pretty good shape for around $80 pretty frequently.

I have a teal stripe with the Scorpion. For clean tones, it sounds great. It can definitely cover country. The dirt channel is rubbish IMO, but the clean channel sounds great with any number of good o/d, or distortion pedals, so that doesn't much matter to me.

7. mbennettbrown

mbennettbrown TDPRI Member

I don't think you re-cone scorpions - they have a replaceable basket. That was one of the advantages with the 'better' Peavey speakers back then.

The guitarist in my first band in the mid 80's had one. We played a lot of Def Leppard and Judas Priest...

8. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

Nice amps but the eq is very sensitive to the tiniest alteration-especially on the dirty side. I've had a few Bandits; an early 80s 65 and a couple of teal-stripe models. Bullet-proof and worth having.

9. Ringo

re Scorpion /BS speaker recone

The Scorpion and Black Widow speakers were designed with a replaceable basket, you unscrew the magnet assembly and put it on the new basket. So they are not "reconed" in the traditional sense.
    However the replacement baskets are fairly expensive, I'd just find another Scorpion or some other speaker IF I had a bad one, YMMV.

10. motwang

motwang Tele-Afflicted

Thanks, I'll be going by there Saturday. I'll try my luck and see.

11. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Plug into it and get it good and warm, then pound around on the top pretty hard and see if it goes wonky. If it does not cut out or get hum or buzz from a good pounding, worth a try. Quite the loud amp BTW, and the scorpion is no lightweight FWIW, nor will that amp be with one in it. ;)

12. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Those were great amps. I had one in 83. I'll bet it works fine. I have a Backstage 30 that's older. It won't die.

13. J. Hayes

J. Hayes Friend of Leo's

I have a Bandit 112 and I use it............

every Monday night at a gig and also at some weekend things on occasion. I usually use a bigger amp for pedal steel and guitar on the weekend but the Bandit's cool for a guitar only gig. With mine, I never use the other channel, I just keep it on the clean side and use a pedal board with it for any distortion or other effects I need. Mine has the scorpion speaker and has a lot of clean headroom and sounds almost "tubelike" at times, plus, it doesn't weigh much and can be toted with one hand easily with a guitar case in the other...........I paid $99 for mine in the used section of GC a couple of years back and it's more than paid for itself over and over.........JH in Va.

14. jmcfender1

jmcfender1 Tele-Holic

Sold mine for $70 five years ago...It was is good shape. Wish I still had it but that's life:) I could get amazing false harmonics out of it and the distortion was never-ending fun.

15. motwang

motwang Tele-Afflicted

I have an Austin 400 Peavey with twin 12 celestions. It's gotta be lighter than lugging that up stairs to practice and back. By pounding on the top and it going wonky, what problem is this a sign of? My Austin 400 does this occasionally when I lay it down to haul it. I pound on the top and it comes back fine. Something is loose?

16. robt57

Cold solder joint, dried cracked cap, etc, Cracked PCB board/trace. But those had some pretty thick PCB boards, thus I would not suspect that so much. And even the newer PV PCB when thinner IMO where well supported on stands [not like Hot Rod Series toys] <ducking>

17. motwang

motwang Tele-Afflicted

Thanks, to everyone for the help.

18. Poppatwang

Poppatwang Friend of Leo's

That's how I felt about mine. Then it blew up & became an extension speaker.
    Despite their reputation for durability, I've toasted two.

19. Ringo

re I pound on the top and it comes back fine

Actually it might be a very simple fix, the effects loop jacks can cause this, just plug a patch cable into the in/out and see if that doesn't fix it.
    I had a Peavey Special (Bandit's big brother) that I bought new , I thought something was wrong as the sound would fade out, bang on the top it would come back, then I tried the patch cable into the effects loop and no more issues.

20. robt57

One of my fav boxes is a 65 watt studio pro with a fair Celestion in it. PV speakers are way to brit for me, especially the scorpions.

With a G100-T Hot 12" speaker, it does DRish cleans reasonable like, with the help of a sonic maximizer that is...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.