Peavey Bandit 112 Issues.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by jh45gun, Dec 3, 2008.

1. jh45gun

jh45gun Banned

OK I picked up a Bandit 112 today on a trade but the amp has issues. Nothing too major I figure but it does need to be taken a peek at. I traded a old passive home stereo subwoofer and a older surround sound amp/receiver for the amp. Figured it was a good trade even if the Peavey has issues as I have not used the two things I traded in years as living in a apt the sub and amp were just too loud to watch movies with out folks complaining so I have not used the stuff its just been collecting dust.
    As far as the amp goes It had been around the block the grill cloth is missing and the speaker has a metal grill now and the speaker cone had some repair but it sounds good with no rattle or buzz even cranked. The problem I have is that it gets lower in volume kinda cuts out but not completely. Now I normally do not reccomend this but just a tap with the finger tips on the top of the amp on the switch side of the amp gets it going again so I figure it is probably a loose solder joint. Any one else ever have an issue with this as I know some amps maybe known for a particular problem over the years?

2. jh45gun

jh45gun Banned

Well got it all apart got the board out and I do not see anything obvious for bad solder joints yet the jacks do seem a bit loose yet I do not see any solder moving so I will touch an iron to them and spray the jacks expecially the effects loop ones with contact cleaner I read on a search on an other forum about amp problems that some folks had to run a cord on the effects patch jacks to get their amps to work as it would cut out with low volume.

3. jh45gun

jh45gun Banned

One other issue and no clue why one of the fuses was missing so I will replace that too. Hopefully it was not taken out to mask more issues?

4. jh45gun

jh45gun Banned

Well touched up the solder joints on the jacks and sprayed them to clean the contacts. Put every thing back together and did a quicky test (Real Low Vol) just to see if amp turns back on and makes sound with a guitar plugged into it. Will have to see if this worked tomorrow as it is 12:30 am and I live in an apt. LOL

5. jh45gun

jh45gun Banned

Well amp appears to be working fine now I suspect it was the contacts on the jacks being dirty as I went to the Peavey forum and that seemed to be a common complaint/Fix. I am not a big fan of effects loops as this seems to be a common issue with not only Peavey but other amps as well.

6. e-merlin

e-merlin Doctor of Teleocity

Congrats on getting it up and running. You've got more fortitude than I do, at least with SS amps.

7. jh45gun

jh45gun Banned

I find that a the few SS amps I have looked at (and I am by no means an expert :) ) are simple fixes either dirty jacks or a common thing like bad solder joints. Usually taking out the board and giving every thing a good looking over can find bad solder joints ect. Of course parts can go bad but I find bad solder joints and dirty connections the most common issue. The biggest pain is taking all the nuts off the pots and jacks ect so you can get the board out. :mad: Thanks on the congrats :)

8. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

Having the same issue here today on a newly acquired Bandit 112. I was using the effects loop yesterday and today (nothing in the loop) the volume began dropping out with the crackly fading sort of sound like there is a bad connection. Popped a patch cable into the loop, and it pretty much went away. I guess I'll be opening it up to clean the jacks. And I might as well touch up the solder joints at the jacks while I'm in there, just in case.

9. JamesPaul

JamesPaul Tele-Meister

A lot of the time you can just spray some Deoxit on a cable plug and work it in and out of the effects loop jacks. There really is not any better access to the jack contacts when you open up most of the Peavey amps.

10. Ted Witton

Ted Witton Tele-Meister

Or just run a lead between effects send and return- usually does the trick

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.