1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Peavey BackStage

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by mjr428, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Liquid Fusion

Liquid Fusion TDPRI Member

I have a Fender Blackface Champ modded by Gerald Weber - Peavey is good for gigs - noone will rip it off - and if so it's not the end of the world. I've had to be very watchfull when using vintage pedals in live gigs. Have a set of amps / pedals for live gigs, and a set of amps / pedals for studio work.

Suggestion - add an Analogman Juicer - ORANGE pedal betwwen your guitar and the Backstage Plus. Watch out!!!!!

http://www.analogman.com/rossmod.htm#os
    http://www.analogman.com/os.htm

2. Liquid Fusion

Got Peavey Input jacks that are similar to what I had - the back legs are double metal - have to cut the PC Circuit board to use them. Also got Switchcraft 1/4" Jack Tip Shunt Long Bushing. Wired the Switchcraft Jack into the board to where Peavy jack poles would be (from faceplate) : Hot = far right; TIP Shunt = Far Left; GND = near left / right. I hear amp noise if I crank it up - no guitar.

Does anyone here know input jack electronics? Thanks.

3. Liquid Fusion

Screenshot-2020-11-14-21502.png

Went with SwitchCraft J-L12A jack = TIP - TIP SHUNT - Ground
    Follow the connection parts with eyeholes back to the jack stem. Verify.
    Soldered Switchcraft connections via 12" coated wires to the PC board in the same place that they would be from the Peavey PCBoard mount Jack.

Had to align these specs from Switchcraft points on the PC Board.
    Used 1 ground (just above Tip Shunt) from board to jack.

upload_2020-11-14_21-38-39 Labeled.jpg

SwitchCraft Jack
    - Tip Shunt = Top prong
    - Tip = Middle prong
    - Ground = Jack lowest prong

Concerened about burning the PC Circuit board - earlier used a 60 Watt soldering iron
    Switched to a 15-30 Watt soldering iron
    Installed Switch. Reassembled amp.

All went fine until minutes later, the stiff jack wires broke off the PC Board - wire gauge too big
    Rewired a second Switchcraft jack with thinner / more flexible wire
    Assembled amp.
    Power wires came loose - one by one - not at the same time
    4 Power wires to resolder - had to unassemble Amp each time to do this

Red Pilot light not in its hole
    Unassembled it all
    Carefully put the red light in the faceplate

Added back all screws / knobs
    Fuse Blew - must have happened when the power wires came off the board
    Installed 1 amp 250V 30 X 6 mm fuse as temp fix
    Ordered 2A 250V 30 X 6 mm Slo Blo Fuses tonight on Amazon

WORKS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!
    CLEAN CLEAR NO NOISE with strat plugged in!
    No guitar - amp turned up - just a bit of amp electronic noise

This is the Best this amp has ever been.
    I wonder if using a Switchcraft guitar jack vs a PC Mounted Jack makes a difference?
    Put pedals infront of a clean amp and you have a soolid 70's practice amp you can even record

Still weighs like a tank!!!!!
    Back Alive!!!!!!!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  4. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Afflicted

I have a Peavey Express. As has been written, it's built like a tank.
    The EQ needs quite some tweaking, as it has a tendency to sound rather brittle and harsh.
    It is a very quick, "in your face" tone, nothing smooth like a good tube amp. But then, this is sometimes exactly what needed: nice for funk chops, but not really suitable for slow blues.
    I use it as a session amp for bass lately, as I have enough reliable amps for guitar.
    I also remember when I started back in the mid 80s. There weren't too many options for beginners, Peavey was one of them, therefore, no bad word from me about Peavey!

5. Liquid Fusion

Peavey Backstage Plus 35 Watt -

Years ago, I brought this amp with it's jack gone bad into a NYC Village rock / dance club (Wicked Willies) to play alt rock (helping out a friend). It sounded like the end of the world. Hey!! It's rock!!! Got the girls dancing!! Rhythm is everything. Inspired the lead guitarist to crank it and play wild psychedelic leads.

[​IMG]

Fixed and clean, it now sounds good with the Analogman Orange Juicer / Ross or MXR Phasers + Vox 810 (Toneman modded) pedals between guitar / amp (Peavey amp set to clean). Good for practice. Headphone out for late night rehearsals. Great to have for a guitarist friend stopping by the studio who just wants to unwind and jam.

Very glad it's fixed. Sounds better!!!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    Michael A. likes this.
  6. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I have both of the amps in your picture above and enjoy them both. I love your YT video of the Vox Cambridge 15, it is one of the few reviews that really puts that amp through its paces.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.