1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Peavey BackStage

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by mjr428, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

Questions of the day:
    can one run amp modelers and effects into the power amp in of a big tube (or even solid state) power amp in?

how much does a 212 cabinet with made in U.S. speakers cost?

what’s the going price of either a Peavey Special 212 or VT Classic?

2. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

I'll take a whack at this one:

If you wanted a Poor Man's Bogner Alchemist which is the same thing as a Line 6 Spider Valve... you could buy a low buck 2x 6L6 Peavey Classic or even a Deuce for the same money. Run your modeler into the power amp in.

I have an old Deuce that lives under the cellar stairs. I use it as an extension speaker cabinet especially after I blew the JBLs out of my Twin testing a hot rodded Super Reverb.

I paid $85 for the Deuce. I sold the foot switch for $50. I "borrowed" the 4x Sylvania 6L6s from the Deuce and used them in something else. It owes me nothing.

I have an old Deuce that lives under the cellar stairs...

I'd go for any of those 2x 12" 1970s Peaveys if all I wanted was a tube power amp and a couple speakers. I reach for my wallet if they're under $100 although $200 is more typical. $300 for one of these is top dollar.

That's a lot of amp for your money.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  3. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I like next size bigger amps from that era better such as the Envoy, Backstage Plus or Backstage 50, they are not a lot larger physically but have more options and sound better IMO.
    Beyond that you're into Bandit , Special or even bigger the Reknown, Stereo Chorus, all of which sound good but are heavy, which may or may not be a consideration.

I'm not much of a fan of the hybrid ss preamp tube poweramp Peavey amps, but they seem to be dependable and are LOUD!

My brother had an Artist 1-15 w the BW speaker, it was loud but I never really could dial in any tone that I liked. Eventually he sold it and got a Mesa Studio 22+ which had good cleans and amazing gain tone.

muchxs likes this.
  4. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

Just happened to run across this:

Reading more from that article, it sounds like the motivation for solid state preamps was microphonics from preamp tubes as tube manufacturing quality began to worsen.

5. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Hybrid Peaveys were a '70s thing. I think Peavey wasn't positioned to take advantage of some of the highest quality tubes the world has ever seen. I'm talking about JAN / Sylvania and JAN / GE. The U.S military was still buying tubes in the 1970s. GE and Sylvania were selling.

My Artist has 3x Sylvania 6L6GCs and 1x GE 6L6 GC. I bought it new. While we're comparing apples to oranges, preamp tubes to power amp tube I don't expect those old 6L6s to go belly- up any time soon. They will likely outlast me.

By 1986 General Electric laid RCA to rest. Didja know RCA started out as a division of GE?

Raytheon was scrambling for tubes to fulfill military contracts in the '80s.

Starting in the 1990s tubes from China, Russia and the Czech Republic were suddenly in reach. We keep buyin' 'em and they keep sellin' 'em.

Been there, done that. Between globalization and the internet it's easier to get tubes and tube amp parts than it was in 1978.

6. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Now that I've been furloughed, I have some extra time to work on this project. Started on a new cab for it.[​IMG]

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

7. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Started taking the amp apart and it appears that it's been sitting in some water at some point... The bottom just kind of crumbled away[​IMG]

8. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Here are some more pics if anyone is interested... Looks like the reverb tank was hard wired at the tank. No rca plugs...??[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. Liquid Fusion

Liquid Fusion TDPRI Member

Hi. Need to fix / replace 1/4" Mono Input Jack (PCmount) for my Backstage Plus - use it for general practice NYC Apt. Have also used it live. Peavey says they don't have any more jacks for this amp.

Still have the original jack: the metal top part that holds the "Tip" part of the plug is gone. Any ideas?

Is there any way I can create / add a "TIP" Part to the original jack - that will hold and clip onto a guitar 1/4" cable plug? Solder a new "Tip" clamp part onto the "Tip" end of the jack? Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
  10. Liquid Fusion

ampjack_150_06.jpg ampjack_150_03.jpg ampjack_150_08.jpg

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
  11. Liquid Fusion

Need to replace Input Jack for Backstage Plus (Practice Amp)

JI
    INPUT

Peavey said they don't make these anymore. Can wire points on PC board to contacts on similar modern switch that is not pc board mounted. What do you suggest?

12. Liquid Fusion

Does anyone here have an extra Input Jack for Backstage Plus?

JI
    INPUT

Know where I can get one? Thanks.

13. Liquid Fusion

BS+01.png BS+02.png

14. Liquid Fusion

Full Screen Schematic Page 1.png Full Screen Schematic Page 2.png

15. Liquid Fusion

Found this video series on how to replace the a guitar Input jack with a better jack - will have to fig out how to wire it to the PC Board.

16. Liquid Fusion

17. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Ah, that takes me back. My guitarist buddy in high school had one of those before I ever had an amp of my own. We took turns plugging in.

18. Liquid Fusion

Your amp has DUAL Inputs. Have Fun!!!!!!

19. Liquid Fusion

20. Boreas

Boreas Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I liked mine, but I eventually traded it in for my Vibro Champ. It was a nice little amp, but kinda sterile.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.