1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Peavey BackStage

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by mjr428, Mar 9, 2020.

1. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

So I am planning on picking up one of these today for next to nothing...(I think it's missing a knob and he thinks one input jack doesn't work?). Don't have any experience with these, but for the price and having reverb, I figured I'd give it a go. Anyone have any thoughts on them? I've read they are similar to the Bandits of it's time only less power...?? IDK PV_Backstage.jpg

Pasta Player likes this.
  2. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Owned a Backstage Plus in the mid 80's. Great little solid state amp. 35 watts RMS, if I remember correctly. There is one on Facebook in my area right now, for $50.

Pasta Player and mjr428 like this.
  3. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

It's a solid state amp... But built like a tank. The speakers in those things sound pretty terrible but are very durable. Put a good speaker in it with some character and you might like it fine for what it is. And it will probably live longer than you will.

muchxs, nojazzhere and Pasta Player like this.
  4. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Calling @studio1087 .

Weenies on Reverb think these amps are worth $250- $300 a pop so let's keep this on the DL.

Then again, if supply and demand has anything to do with it Peavey built literally a million of 'em.

5. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I have a Backstage Plus (35w w reverb). I use it for one specific tone copying thing thing but in general, it is pretty nice sounding, spring reverb is very good, very well built and reliable. Lacks bottom end.
    I have read that the pots are prone to becoming noisy and crackly but I suppose a good switch spray would fix that.

Pasta Player likes this.
  6. Pasta Player

Pasta Player Tele-Meister

Unaware of just how similar to the Bandits that the Back Stage amps might be… but recent Bandit 75 here has the same “one input jack doesn’t work” symptom. Ordered new jacks from Peavey (as no one else seemed to have them) and expect delivery today / tomorrow. (They have jack “tip switches” built -in.) Upon arrival, can provide pics and Peavey part number for those jacks for your comparison.

If the Back Stages are anything like the Bandits and the price is good… definitely go for it. A recent convert here to the secret “Peavey Performance Club”.

Here’s the Bandit 75 that I’ve been working on. Once the jacks are in, I’ll post pics of final-finished project. (Ya won’t recognize it now.)

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/nad-peavey-bandit-75.1007842/#post-9640994

Here’s a pic of the old jacks (someone stepped on a cord?). Two legs broken (red arrows). The “newer type” jack won’t work.

Bandit75jack.png

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
    mjr428 likes this.
  7. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

I believe this one is 20 watts. Should be plenty for my purposes... Mainly looking for decent clean sounds at home. I won't mention how much the agreed upon price is until I have it in my possession...

Pasta Player likes this.
  8. muchxs

My main beef with '70s Peavey is the cabinets are made of Kryptonite and depleted black holes.

Heavy.

Nice light pine cabinets are in progress.

:cool: :cool: :cool:

Timmay, nojazzhere and Pasta Player like this.
  9. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Nice, looking forward to see how it turns out. I think I'm going to re-cab this one at some point... I think they just look ugly. Yeah, let me know what the part number is if you can.

Pasta Player likes this.
  10. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah the design is v dated.

Pasta Player likes this.
  11. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

For 15 years my only amp was a Stereo Studio Chorus 70. 2x8"speakers and 2x35 watts with chorus and reverb. Nice cleans, lead channel not too great, and with 2x8" a bit lacking in the bass end, but who wants to compete with the kick drum and bassist anyway.

These days it gets used for some rehearsals, and being compact taken as back-up to gigs. I kept it as I like the clean channel, it is compact and it would not sell for much cash. If it had been an Envoy or Backstage I would have kept it for the same reasons..

The only thing with the one you are looking at would be the faulty jack. If it is an issue with the circuitry rather than the jack socket. One socket is usually low gain and the other high gain in order to match up with the guitar pickups you are using, you might find that it is less than ideal for the guitar you plan to use with it.

Pasta Player likes this.
  12. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

Yea, what I remember of things is that they had no bottom and are pretty peaky in the mids, and the bottom farted out when pushed.

Pasta Player likes this.
  13. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

I had a Backstage 30 years ago. It wasn't that great. Sold it and got a Special 130.

Pasta Player likes this.
  14. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

I also had a Backstage Plus in the '80s.
    Pretty good clean sound, pretty good dirty sound. Sounded like poo over 7 or so.

Pasta Player likes this.
  15. muchxs

I prefer "ugly".

:D :D :D

But...

Hartley Peavey thought they looked cool starting with the "lightning bolt" Peavey logo he sketched on his high school notebook right through the aluminum trim that became another major Peavey styling cue.

I recently tried to re- style a JCM800 Marshall. Turns out that chunky cabinet edge, the wide radius on that chunky cabinet edge and the plastic corners that fit the wide radius are major styling cues. The amp just looked wrong without 'em.

IMG_1868.JPG

I still have my Artist. I bought it brand spankin' new when it was brand spankin' new.

I never could get a tone out of that thing...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Forty years later, I'll bet I can.

Pasta Player likes this.
  16. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

A good speaker can make all the difference between crap and good. But the overdrive in those old Peavey solid state amps was rough stuff. This is pretty representative of what I remember of those old Peavey solid state guitar amps (jump to 3:50):

17. Pasta Player

Pasta Player Tele-Meister

Well, yeah. The Back Stage 30 might be a little shy in the overall performance department, but as an introductory foray into the Realm of Peavey… a good place to begin especially if the price is right. Recent Bandit 75 here was $25.00 (braggart) and has required some work. And, could always port it out to a larger or better speaker / cab.

And yup - all heavy as hell, considering. Peavey’s here don’t get drug out for gigs but if they did, that old pine cab approach might be given a very serious go.

Before:

Bandit75.png

In progress (awaiting new input jacks):

B75.png

stevemc and mjr428 like this.
  18. muchxs

I think the Classic that followed me home the other night has a knob or two left on it. Just tell me what you need.

Newsflash:

Wunderkind @bparnell57 was recently offered a job with Peavey R&D.

Pasta Player likes this.
  19. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

I don't disagree. Try and imagine it without the aluminum rails on the side of the grill cloth and without the big honking logo. That alone is a major visual improvement and it costs nothing to do. And if you have a means to give the silver hardware a good paint job that isn't going to flake off, that would take it a step further. That alligator tolex (or whatever you call it) and the grill cloth that they used is tough stuff though. I would keep the cab.

Pasta Player likes this.
  20. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

I could get by with just about anything these days, adjusting what I play to better hide an ugly sounding amp. But I sure as hell ain't going back to one of those old Peavey solid state amps. Transtube circuitry and better speakers was a big step up for Peavey solid state amps. But I ain't going back to those either.

Even though the transtube amps sounded significantly better than the earlier solid state amps, they later cheaped out like everyone else, giving the things cheaper constructed pcb's, plastic pcb mounted jacks and pots, crappo cabs, thin cab covering. And I forget which had the decent speakers, but some of the transtube amps have crap speakers too, sounding thin and muddy.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.