Peavey Auctions Off Last Shreds of Integrity

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by JayFreddy, Aug 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

Hartley & his first wife (Melia.... RIP) were relentless in "giving back"... particularly toward education but in fairness I don't know much about the company since she passed. In addition to their philanthropy they were regularly holding "free" community events, and often had their artists (endorsees) perform free shows at the Temple Theater in Meridian.

There is no question that the "Made in America" Peavey many of us grew up knowing is a shell of it's former self... but without inside knowledge we have no idea if that was poor decisions by management or great management that recognized the need to move a large portion of manufacturing off shores in order to survive. It certainly was a hardship to many people in Meridian (and other locations around the state) as Peavey closed plant after plant... but it shouldn't be forgotten that for 3 decades prior to that they were opening plant after plant and providing jobs for thousands of people during that time.

Moving on.... this thread title is deceiving, ridding old stock is hardly shredding integrity :rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
    kodiakblair likes this.
  2. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

The title of this thread makes no sense whatsoever. In case nobody has already mentioned this, I just did. Is a company not supposed to dump useless inventory that is just taking up space?

L.A. Mike likes this.
  3. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

The OP's verbiage is unwarranted, and many of the posts that follow are full of uninformed speculation and judgment. None of this is helpful in the least. And if Peavey ran its business using the same kind of wild speculation and personal spinning delivered by numerous of these posts, they would have gone under long ago. I'm in no position to make meaningful comments about the wisdom or ethics involved in the shift of manufacturers to Asian production. In Peavey's case, I give them kudos for their longstanding effort to build affordable products of high quality and individual design here in the US. That this was unsustainable even for them is a chilling reality. Peavey has had lots of winning products and never had the luxury of mining some brand mythology or reissuing its former products. They had to earn it, year after year. I respect that. As for selling their junk... Ages and ages ago, I bought a pickup from Seymour Duncan at a yard sale at his house -- and a Tele body and neck by Phil Kubicki, I might add. Getting unused stuff into the hands of people who might want to make use of it, at minimal cost... jeez, what an undignified, insane notion. As if.

4. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Afflicted

I do not know much of what is entailed to operate an auction house - yet, I can safely assume there are plenty of costs setting up and operating events by auctioneers.

High premiums (to me, anything over 10%), and these fees in general, do make me wonder if sellers are opting for lower commission revenue (to the auctioneers) and having buyers pay auctioneers these "fees" (to make up for the lower commission revenue).

5. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

It seems that some don't understand how modern auction houses operate.

Buyer's premium (aka commission) is not 'shady'. 'underhand', 'greedy' or any other derogatory word you may muster. It just is, and has been for quite a long time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buyer's_premium

6. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

I'll ask it this way, to you and anyone else who wants to respond in this thread.

"How many USA Peavey guitars have you bought in the last 5 years? "

They are disposing of parts/production equipment they cannot sell as products, no demand from the consumer.

7. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

All that an auction "premium" does is transfer the cost-of-doing-business from the the seller, the party that should be doing the paying, to the buyer, the party that should not.

IMO opinion of course.

dan1952 likes this.
  8. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

I disagree with your opinion that my "verbiage" is unwarranted, but I agree with pretty much everything else you wrote.

In the last 5 years, probably only a couple. I currently own close to two hundred Peavey guitars.

9. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

who needs integrity when there is money to be made!

JayFreddy likes this.
  10. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_personhood -

Here's an interesting take from the Columbia Law School:

"No soul to damn, no body to kick"

FYI, I have no issue with liquidating non-performing assets. These things are sitting on the books as unsold inventory, eating up storage costs, etc. Converting them into cash (even pennies on the dollar) is a useful exercise from an accounting perspective and has zero to do with integrity - whatever that means.

11. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

You succinctly summarized "Business Ethics". I don't think it applies to Peavey auctioning off surplus stock, but you did a good summary. Very concise.

12. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

JayFreddy likes this.
  13. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Afflicted

somewhere over a rainbow (Ex-L.A. resident)
    [​IMG]

stratofortress and JayFreddy like this.
  14. stanger

stanger Tele-Meister

I've yet to meet a guitar player who thinks his favorite guitar is average.

It's hard for players who have never worked in the music business to understand that, actually, even the finest hand-made guitar is really only just another item that is only made to be sold.

The good maker uses all his skills with them all, to his best ability, but he doesn't treasure them; he sells them for his living, and takes his pride from the fact others purchase what he's made. Tomorrow, he'l make another just like it.

"Average" can be very high quality, or very low quality. The industry aims for one and accepts the other as a reality. The real worth of any guitar is in it's consistency; if any guitar is as good or a bit better (or a bit worse) than it's sisters, and they're all readily sold, then average is a good thing.

All the love the guitar gets is from the player. I guess it's only natural to think the guitar was made with much love and was very hard to part with.

It wasn't. It never is. I don't know a single custom guitar maker who has ever kept more than one or two of his guitars, and that guitar is usually either his first, or one no one wanted for some reason.The love of the making is the deal, not the product.
    regards,
    stanger

15. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

Right, so you are trying to introduce politics into a thread, the subject of which is that the OP thinks Peavey is a bad Corporation for auctioning off their property, and I'm defending Peavey, and I'm wrong ... wut now? Why are you injecting politics into this thread again?

16. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

OMG that is hilarious! I hadn’t noticed that when I made that comment. I’m in luck!

17. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    These are not the droids you are looking for

Please move along

Thread closed

BTW...22 posts were just deleted because of violations of this:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
    No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here

I just had a long day on the road. Tomorrow I will look at this and issue some suspensions/permabans.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.