Peavey Auctions Off Last Shreds of Integrity

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by JayFreddy, Aug 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

Business practices reflect what is ironically called "business ethics", not to be confused with philosophical ethics, or any sort of morality or altruism. "That's business" or "business is business" better describes the reality of business practices. It's the nature of business to set their moral compass by what is legal, if the fines will cost more than the profits, and what can we get away with without the lawsuits costing us more than the net profits. Businesses will fire at will when able, close without notice to their employees when practical, and use bankruptcy as a money saver/maker, don't even start with the "vulture capitalists".

As long as they aren't active nazis or molesters, I just figure every business is sleazy ... if they make a good amp or guitar, I don't look under the sheets. Anyway, I only buy used gear, and hardly that anymore.

Zaxxon, daddyplaysbass and unfamous like this.
  2. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

It's about both.

I'm not against making money.

Just because you don't understand my choice of words doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Some people understood what I meant. That doesn't mean I'm right either.

Stranger, I don't mean to call you out specifically, it's just that your post was the most succinct.

I have a huge Peavey collection that I'm passionate about.

If people don't like that, they can sue me... LOL

3. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks. I probably could have chosen my words more cautiously. I am emotionally invested... Probably invested too much. C'est la vie.

lil scotty likes this.
  4. harold h

harold h Friend of Leo's

Based on the Undercover Boss episode, even as they are auctioning off all the
    inventory and locking the doors they will still be telling the couple of remaining
    employees not to quit and that things are going to get better. :D:D

JayFreddy likes this.
  5. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

Couple observations. The actual article title is:

"Peavey to auction off $12 million worth of old unsold guitars, amps and raw materials"

The publisher is Guitar.com. Here is their mission statement:

"Guitar.com is the world’s leading authority and resource for all things guitar. We provide insight and opinion about gear, artists, technique and the guitar industry for all genres and skill levels."

The article isn't ominous and doesn't suggest any dilemma or concern with auctioning surplus. The author isn't particularly alarmed. The value of products is estimated at 2M, the estimated value of parts 10M. For a billion dollar company that introduces hundreds of new products each year, this proportionally constitutes nothing. The author could have added that to put this in perspective, but then it wouldn't have been as interesting.

The criticisms of larger makers and retailers that has become common on forums, has proven to be irrelevant. The only opinions that matter, are those of the stock holders, and the consumers. The former [critics] might try to influence the latter[stock holders and consumers], but so far, there appears to be no relationship. In other words, we are the proverbial peanut gallery ;)

JMac52 likes this.
  6. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Afflicted

Hah. They do have just that. (Though, I noticed there's an 18% Buyer’s Premium added on to bids.)

Lot 15: (41) PEAVEY 8" BLUE MARVEL SPEAKERS, 8 OHMS, PEAVEY ITEM # 70777222, (LOCATION SEC.8)

[​IMG]

The pre-bid catalog.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  7. Donny Osmond fan

Donny Osmond fan Tele-Holic

I love the 80's and some 90's and now guitars. I got told at the Peavey Page that have T-60's stuff. Bodies and other stuff. :twisted:o_O

8. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

You didn't state the facts fairly. With all due respect.

All analogies break down when you mess with the facts.

JayFreddy likes this.
  9. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Afflicted

It may be a good opportunity to buy non-Peavey branded stuff to flip later. You have to think that 75 watt Celestions are worth something.

10. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

They are selling off old stock, big deal. I'd also note the end of the guitar.com article:

Peavey still produces guitars and amps in the USA – including the HP2 range of electric guitars, as well as Budda amps – and Peavey assures us that this auction of material and equipment will not have any impact on its USA manufacturing operations.

11. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Meister

I would have thought more highly of Gibson if they had sold off all those Firebird X's in a similar fashion. Could have pulled all that extemporaneous garbage out, put in a 5-way switch and had a real show piece. Even Trogly said they were cool.

12. Luthier Vandros

Luthier Vandros Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

13. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

I disagree.
    I remember when Peavey stuff was "Proudly Made In The USA".

JayFreddy likes this.
  14. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

I think we share the same sentiment, I just didn't explain myself enough.
    Tried as in past tense.
    He started out USA but eventually succumbed to market pressure.

15. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

I've still got my Classic 30, great amp, built like a tank, great amp.

JayFreddy likes this.
  16. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

Total agreement.

17. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

I have had 2 Leakesville made Peavey guitars and both were stellar. I currently have a Soapbar Firenza that I love...but it is going on the block to fund a Shishkov...

JayFreddy likes this.
  18. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Meister

It wouldn't do anything. Bulldozers can't kill Peaveys!

Chiogtr4x and Mike Eskimo like this.
  19. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

I guess it's the last refuge of the consumer, that we can choose to buy goods and services from people and businesses that we approve of, for reasons other than just price.

JayFreddy likes this.
  20. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

The bigger the business, the less integrity. That is simply because if it's a public company, the lawyers for the stockholders will sue the CEO and directors if they aren't ruthless enough, and private corporations are neck deep in private investors that could do something worse than a lawsuit if you lose their profits. Words like integrity and community service are platitudes, employed by public relations consultant to fool the gullible public into believing that the super wealthy care about them at all, which they never have and never will. Believing otherwise is quaint and naive.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.