1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Peavey amps

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by SDFD18, Feb 17, 2021.

1. goldguitarguy

goldguitarguy Tele-Meister

Also have an America made Bandit which is a killer gigging amp.

SDFD18 likes this.
  2. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Holic

I have a 90s Revolution 112 solid state combo converted to a head. I made a vinegar/steel wool stained oak faceplate for it and I love it. I'll never part with it. It's obnoxiously loud and I've never been able to turn it up past 2. Real spring reverb and a beautiful clean channel, but I even like the dirt it produces. Peavey's "Transtube" technology is pretty amazing to my possibly non-discriminating ears.

SDFD18 likes this.
  3. David C

David C Tele-Meister

I suppose it depends on what you are after. The Peavey Classic 50 4x10 or 2x12 amps are great amps. Heavy, but great sound. If you go for a new model it will have the single circuit board, not the tri-fold that many people talk about. Upgrading the speakers in the Classic 50 series makes them sing. The Bandit is probably their best seller and it is a decent sounding 12 inch amp. It's a solid state amp that offers a decent sound. I have no idea how many years they have made that amp, but it was around in the 70s and still being made.

If you are after metal sound, Peavey seems to have a great hold on this side of rock. Eddie Van Halen and Peavey collaborated on the 5150 amp but they later parted ways. It's still a solid amp.

My characterization of them is that they used to be popular with country music bands, definitely popular with steel guitar players, and they offer great amps for the money. They probably aren't the best amps out there, but then again, I like what they offer and feel they offer pretty good value for people without the high price tag. They have reputation for holding up well also.

Marc Morfei, SDFD18 and Esquire Jones like this.
  4. PBO Blues

PBO Blues Tele-Holic

I bought my '90 Classic 50 410 a few years ago with the intention of replacing the original Blue Marvels that were in it. Played it a while first.

The Blue Marvels are still in it.

SDFD18, basher and P Thought like this.
  5. Esquire Jones

Esquire Jones Tele-Meister

I’ve had a Peavey/EVH 5150 head since the early 90’s. Never once had to repair anything. Still brings some serious heat. it’s hideously noisy but the noise gets lost in the whole cacophony. I’ve owned a few other Peaveys over the years that were not so great. The 5150 is kind of a metal legend at this point.

SDFD18 likes this.
  6. David C

David C Tele-Meister

I get it. The stock speakers in my Classic 50 are great, they are Celestions Midnight 60s. Those speakers are OEM speakers from Celestion. The change to Weber brought out differences in the amps sound.

SDFD18 and PBO Blues like this.
  7. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

Over the years I have had a number of Peavy amps.
    A Standard, a Back Stage 30, a Musician, a Deuce, a Special 130, two Classic 30’s. You can’t go wrong with them if you are looking for a useable and decent sounding and reliable amp. The Chinese made ones have had QC issues. My take on amplifiers is that they need to sound decent and be reliable. Most people in an audience won’t know or care if you are playing through a $3000 boutique amp. They can’t tell. Spending money on something like that is just a needless expense unless you want a toy for yourself.
    Use the moist practical tool for the job.It is just a tool. Don’t get caught up in the hype. I still use my Deuce and Special 130 once in a while ....both purchased new over 40 years ago.
    If I could only sown one amp and money was an issue it would be a Peavey .... I own a lot of amps BTW.

8. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

I've had various Peavey amps and liked them all. They've all been workhorses rather than anything fancy. But they sound good to me.

I currently have an old Envoy, which was beat up when I got it, and which is now even more beat up and still going strong.

I have 9-yr-old Vypyr modelling amp which is a totally different beast, but also great. I see very little love for Vypyrs on this forum but mine has served me well.

I'm guessing the Vypyr is classed as one of the modern Chinese ones that people sniff at. That's their business.

SDFD18 likes this.
  9. Believer

Believer Tele-Meister

I have a Meridian-made Express 112. It is a 65 watt Bandit-lite that also uses trans-tube technology. It is rock-solid, has great cleans, but probably sounds better with pedals on the dirt side. My nephew has a Classic 50 tube amp that sounds great, as well. I like Peaveys!

SDFD18 likes this.
  10. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Get a hand truck first. ; )

getbent, Pasta Player and SDFD18 like this.
  11. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

There it is, there it is.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
    ce24, Pasta Player and SDFD18 like this.
  12. Pasta Player

Pasta Player Tele-Meister

In error, I previously believed they were junk until I resurrected a dumpster-found Teal Bandit 112. Now I’ve four Peaveys: a Bandit 65, 75, 112 and a Special 212. AND my only real complaint is that my right arm is now longer than my left.

Maybe this Spring I’ll build ‘em some new pine cabs (RE: “weight reduction effort”) and my arm will then return to its normal length?:rolleyes:

But yes for starters, maybe stick with the U.S. made Peaveys - especially if you can find a 65, 75 or 112.

SDFD18, ce24 and Henry Mars like this.
  13. elmoscafeo

elmoscafeo Tele-Afflicted

I've only owned a couple of Peavey's so I won't be able to speak about many of the models, but I would caution you to stay away from Windsor. The price could be tempting because they usually go cheap. They're single channel, high gain, no clean and tend to be overbearing in the mid-range with some humbuckers. Single coils sound better but still not clean. Circuit mods are available to clean the amp up but comes at a cost of lower volume plus the cost of the mod. I used to plug my guitar in to a Boost pedal, then Boost pedal in to FX loop so I could get a clean sound and use the power amp section for volume. Not an ideal situation but worked.

This is my favorite Peavey and the only one I have left. They're hard to find and super heavy, coming in just a little under 100 lbs if it has the Black Widow speakers in it and about 80 lbs with other speaker brands. If you find one, you can probably pick it up for about $300-$400. Mine is the earlier 320T version, which I prefer over the VTM. The 320T has Tremolo and Reverb while the VTM has Phase and Reverb.

Mace.jpg

Telecastoff1 and P Thought like this.
  14. PBO Blues

PBO Blues Tele-Holic

Oh, my aching back.

Henry Mars likes this.
  15. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

I gigged for years with my '80s band using a mid-70s Classic 50, the one with the 4-button combiner pedal for the 2 preamps. It was a great amp; could be clean or as dirty as you wanted and sounded good either way. I still have a mid-90s tweed Classic 20 that is also a cool little amp. I bought that one new and it was my only amp for awhile when I was re-organizing my stuff.

16. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

I am the proud and possibly over-protective owner of a 1986 Peavey Heritage VTX. It is an amazing amp! Honestly, as far as solid-state/tube hybrids go I don't known if you are going to find anything better. With the pullout knobs you can make the amp do Fender, Vox, Marshall or it's own Peavey thing. The best part is that, at least for me, is that it's a set and forget type of thing, and the reverb in that amp is better than the reverb in my SRRI. So lush, clean, and responsive. I cannot say enough good things about that amp. Although, I cannot speak to much of their newer stuff...I did play a gig where the house PA was a 2019 Peavey PVi 8500. Not the best PA in the world but that could be because of the fact that the guy who owned it knew next to nothing about how to set up a PA. My dad used to have a Peavey RX684F. Best PA I have ever used live. Beats the Yamaha EMX88S he replaced it with. There was just a warmth to that old Peavey that I haven't found again. Also the old Peavey PA-120 makes a great 100-watt guitar amp head. Plop that monster down on a set of 4x12 cabs and you have a 4-channel amp on your hands. You just need to wire the speakers to 4 ohms.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    Telecastoff1 likes this.
  17. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Afflicted

I have several Peavey amps. Reliable and great sounding, each one of them.
    Peavey Heritage VTX w/ 2x12 original 1203-8 Black Widow Speakers. Not much heavier than my three Twins.
    Peavey Special 130 Amps, Two of them.
    Peavey Special 150 Amp I recently picked up in San Antonio a couple weeks ago and brought home.
    Peavey Studio Pro 50 Amp.
    Peavey PA Console (4 years old, bought new).
    All are in perfect condition and I wouldn't ever think of parting with any of them.
    Not one one of my Peavey amps has ever let me down. Tons of respect for these old Peavey amps.

18. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Holic

Do you want Tube or Solid State?

Solid State Peavey's go for very short money and usually have great cleans. I had a pair of Studio Pro 112 "Transtube" amps. (Still have one in storage; I'll sell it to you cheap if you like but shipping might be a killer these days). Played them in stereo and/or stacked stereo.Folks say the Transtube models are "almost tube sound" but TBH, I didn't feel that on the dirty side. The clean was close to Fender Clean. Close.

Cleans were great. Loved pedals. I didn't like the Reverb even though it's a large spring tank. Preferred my pedal. The distortion channel is OK but a little rough IMO. But, it's like pedals... we all have our distortion pref's. I like smooth and silky, this wasn't that.

19. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

I gigged a Triumph 60 head thru 212 or 412 cabs for at least 20 years. Was playing a birthday party and it went up in smoke. One of the saddest days of my life. It was a monster rock amp.

goldguitarguy likes this.
  20. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Bandit is a solid choice but like some are saying they are going up in price .. . The sleeper bandit is the Studio Pro. Its the Bandits brother...... Should be called the Bandito!

gitlvr likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.