1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Peavey amps

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by SDFD18, Feb 17, 2021.

1. SDFD18

SDFD18 TDPRI Member

I have no experience with Peavey products at all.

can someone please provide feedback on Peavey amps and which models to stay away from?

thanks in advance

2. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Holic

Depends on what you're looking for. I'm personally a HUGE fan of old American made Peavey amps. They're indestructible and incredibly well made. There are several "sleeper" models out there that have been increasing in value over the years. Both solid state and tube.

I'd say just stay away from any of their newer Chinese stuff.

3. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

What kind of tones do you like/styles of music do you play?

They have a ton of different amps that can cover a wide variety of styles. Many have been rock solid, some have had some issues over the years, but I’d be willing to bet no more than most massive big name brands.

SDFD18 likes this.
  4. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

get you one of these

with C-50.jpg

Classic 50

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
  5. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Yep, classic 30s, and 20s.
    Others
    Delta blues,

ce24, Pasta Player and SDFD18 like this.
  6. Togman

Togman Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

As already mentioned, the Classics are very good amps. I also had a Valveking 1x12 50w Combo for a few years. A very underated amp in my opinion.

Pasta Player and SDFD18 like this.
  7. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

just keep doing what you are doing... that is the right approach.

They are the ford granada of amps.

8. RB522

RB522 Tele-Meister

I am a big fan of the old American made silver stripe Peaveys. They are well made, bomb-proof reliable, and sound pretty good. You're not going to get a vintage, hand wired sound from them, but you won't be embarrassed either. Definitely a blue collar, working man's amp. I have a Bandit and a Studio Pro, and I'm keeping both of them.

9. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

As a proud owner of multiple old Peaveys over the years (still got a KB60 and a 1 x 15" bass cabinet), I'll give you my rundown.

1. Most of the old amps have wonderful cleans. Great reverb. Great pedal platforms.
    2. Never heard any built-in distortion that was any good.
    3. Cabinets were made of particle board and all the ones I had (and still have) were exceptionally heavy. It was like take a different brand amp that size and add another 25 lbs to it and that'll give you the equivalent Peavey weight.
    4. Peavey were standard issue for garage bands in the '80s and '90s. Cheap and reliable.
    5. Some of the old amps have a noticeable hum.

I haven't heard anything bad about the Classic Series, but I just don't have any experience with them. Old Bandits are a find and are probably one of the best bang for your bucks amps out there. I had a '90s Silver Stripe Bandit 112 and it was a great amp, loud enough to play anywhere. Played with a friend for many years who had a 2 x 12" Heritage and it was a great sounding amp too. I think it weighed about a hundred pounds though.

P Thought and SDFD18 like this.
  10. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Peavey had both tube powered and Solid State amps offered for years.

Tube wise
    Classsic 20 and 30's will give you that Fenderish clean sound
    Delta Blues will give you a little more British voice IMO

I went to the web to pull all of their models and found this...
    https://wgsusa.com/blog/early-peavey-sleaper-amps-tons-tone-dollar

He is pretty spot on with his information.

Be known that the "Bandits" are fetching top dollar now, but I do see Backstages go for cheap sometimes.

11. markal

markal Tele-Holic

I have had a “red stripe” Bandit, a silver stripe Studio Pro and a red stripe Envoy. Sold them all but they were all pretty good. The bandits are punishingly loud. I found it a little tough to dial in at home and easy to overpower a quiet jam with that amp. But it had beautiful clean tones. Just big, round, clear and it had pretty good response to OD pedals.

The Studio Pro and Envoy weren’t as good IMO, but not bad.

I’ve played through a Classic 30 at rehearsal spaces and it seemed OK.

SDFD18 likes this.
  12. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

My mid nineties teal stripe Bandit with a Scorpion speaker is still kickin'.

It doesn't get as much play these days since I bought a Vox AC15C1x.

Still a great backup that's always worked every time it's plugged in.

Hey Preacher! Hope you're staying warm.

Pasta Player and SDFD18 like this.
  13. SonicMustang

SonicMustang Tele-Meister

The classic 30 is a great amp. I'd have to disagree with the comment above about the Valveking. The singer in a band I was in for awhile had a Valveking and EVERYONE in the band hated his tone....

SDFD18 likes this.
  14. PBO Blues

PBO Blues Tele-Holic

How about 50s?

Peavey Classic 50.jpg

15. basher

basher Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My 20-year-old American-made Delta Blues is honestly one of the best amps I've played through. People rag on the dirt channel on the DBs and Classics, but IME there's nothing wrong with them that turning them up won't cure. Bedroom amps they most definitely aren't.

16. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

My 1987 Bandit 65. I bought it new that year and it quit working about 8 months ago after 33 of problem free service. The Headrush FRFR 108 I bought to replace it quit working after 6 months.

20160824_003329.jpg

Frankie, Pasta Player and SDFD18 like this.
  17. fjblair

fjblair Tele-Holic

I bought a new Peavey Deuce in 1978 and only sold it about ten years ago. It was a heavy beast but had really good cleans and made a solid pedal platform. I really stopped playing it by 1990 but kept it around for sentimental purposes. I sold it and the "matching" 1978 T-60 to the same guy, who was collecting Peavey gear from that era.

SDFD18 likes this.
  18. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

I’ve had a ‘83-ish Audition 20 from new. It has a lot of hours on it and has only needed one of the pots replaced over the years.

I’ve had an early 90s TKO bass amp for several years that seems content to run near full volume for a couple hours at a time and barely even gets detectably warm. It’s a heavy pig to move though.

I have a 87-ish Special 150 that is just like the Bandits described above, only more of it...loud and clean; unfortunate distortion channel.

Finally, I have a M-3000 monk rack power amp that seems bombproof and content to run ar any attainable volume level.

SDFD18 likes this.
  19. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Use pedals to get your distortion tones and then really any amp set to clean can give you your volume. Bandit amps are known for taking pedals well.
    All the reviews, past and present, spend most of their time focused on the amp's distortion channel when 98% of the players have half a dozen pedals at their feet controlling tones. You can stack a pair of distortion pedals into a clean amp just like stacking a pedal into a distorted channel on an amp.

Buyers who 'gotta have a tube amp!' often treat them like large ungainly pedals too big to fit on the pedal board by draping a mic over them and running the mic to the (clean and loud) PA system.

Joyo American Sound pedal is a great option to 'cab sim' any Fender amp. They also make a British Sound and a few others.

Or run a Fuzz Face like Hendrix

northernguitar and SDFD18 like this.
  20. goldguitarguy

goldguitarguy Tele-Meister

Peavey Triumph. Have one with 5881 tubes and after a few small mods it’s one of the best sounding amps I have.

gitlvr and SDFD18 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.