Peavey amp

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by jazzalta, Jul 28, 2017.

1. jazzalta

jazzalta Tele-Meister

Just picked up an old Peavey Stereo Chorus 212 yesterday for a couple hundred and change Canadian. Does anyone have one and/or use it on a regular basis? I forgot how heavy these beasts are but what a sound. I shouldn't have really bought one as I'm facing back surgery, but I thought these are quite rare in these parts. Any comments?

2. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You said it all already, man. Great sound, weighs about the same as a small church. Lol.

Which version is it? Grey stripe trim or turquoise?

3. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

Hi, nice score !
    I have a 1991 Teal Striped PV Stereo Chorus 212...looks new, Scorpion speakers, 270 watts total, 135 per side. Enough clean headroom to shake the house without distorting the speakers, I like some of the digital reverbs and delay, the analog stereo chorus sounds amazing. The 4 button LED foot pedal is really nice. The Crunch and Lead channels become very usable for me with an external EQ pedal, to add bottom and adjust the mids. Takes pedals extremely well. This has been an extremely versatile amp as I also use it for keyboards and lap steel.
    Compare this to other amps you can buy for $200 these days and I think this Peavey amp has to be one of the best bargains out there. I'd take a 90's Peavey SC 212 over the brand new ones without hesitation.

justjazz likes this.
  4. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Nice. Friend in the '90s had one of those. It was a great sounding amp, great clean platform for pedals. Not sure if they come with them, but his was on wheels. Made it easier to move around.

I've got a Silver Stripe Bandit myself. It's heavy as hell and it's only got one speaker. Bet the 2 X 12" weighs as much as a Twin.

5. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

This is an amp that could easily justify coming stock with the wheels...but it didn't. I can justify the weight being it's a 212 with a lot of power...feels about like a Twin. Compare that to a Boogie, for example that weighs almost as much with only one twelve :)
    I haven't picked up a Bandit in a few years, I didn't think of them as a heavy amp...and when buying gear back then, I think we just expected everything to be heavy... so by today's standards, I guess they would be.....age has something to do with this.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  6. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Afflicted

I used to be really into the idea of small old tube amps cranked up, and used a pair of 1 x 10 Valcos. The guy I took them to for repairs was a pretty good guitarist in a Steve Cropper kind of way, and after a repair one time he was playing through one of the Valcos with his homemade Nashville-style parts tele and I was thinking "damn, that sounds great." Then he plugged into his regular shop-test amp, which was a Peavey SC 212, cranked up the clean channel, and it sounded just as great. That was an eye-opener for me.

These days I use a Peavey Special 150 and am pretty happy with it. The sort of preset EQ on the dirty channel is less than ideal for my tonal aims, but I love the loud, clean, slammin clean channel. I need to try Jim Dep's suggestion above for using an EQ pedal to tweak the mids; that might make the dirty channel more useable for me too. I think you could look at a Special 150 a one (chorus-less) half of a SC 212...or just as a Bandit with twice the watts.

Jim Dep and dannyh like this.
  7. justjazz

justjazz TDPRI Member

Thanks for the responses. Jakedog I have the teal version I guess. Not sure of the year. I tried it last night at practice for keys and it just didn't cut it so I put them through my trusty Roland cube. But man it makes my tele and strat sound great Next amp buy though will be a Fender Vibrolux. Life is good.

8. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

These are significantly heavier than a standard Twin. Standard Twin or reissue hits right about 64 lbs. I'd be surprised if the Stereo Chorus 212 is under 80. My silver stripe Bandit weighs pretty much exactly the same as a Hot Rod Deluxe, by comparison.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.