Peavey amp needs a speaker

Echo2012

NEW MEMBER!
I bought a Peavey Studio pro 40 for $30 at a pawn shop. Couldn’t check it out there so I took a chance since the price was right.

Speaker looks ugly as sin. No tears but it sounds bad.

Is it worth buying a new speaker for the amp? I thought I did okay with the buy but now I’m not so sure. 12” speakers aren’t cheap. (But I am 😎)

Les H

Tele-Holic
Definitely try another speaker if you can or see if you can return it.

It's one thing to spend the money on a speaker for an amp you really like whether it's tube or solid state but in this case it's completely unknown whether you'll like it or not if you do replace the speaker. Myself, I would probably try to return it. Otherwise it becomes a $130+ amp and will you get that in return if you sold it is to be determined.

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
If it's the old big knob version, it's a pretty good solid state amp. That era of Peaveys aren't bad at all.

I would clean the pots and try a known speaker cab.

peavey studio pro 40.jpg

PCollen

Friend of Leo's
I bought a Peavey Studio pro 40 for $30 at a pawn shop. Couldn’t check it out there so I took a chance since the price was right.

Speaker looks ugly as sin. No tears but it sounds bad.

Is it worth buying a new speaker for the amp? I thought I did okay with the buy but now I’m not so sure. 12” speakers aren’t cheap. (But I am 😎)
Why couldn't you check it out at the pawn shop ? Most usually have at least one electric guitar and cable. Or you could have brought in your own. Anyway there are several videos on YouTube about this amp.....

Telecastoff1

Tele-Afflicted
I have a Studio Pro 40 and 50. Really nice work-horse amps, and very gig-worthy. Really good advice to clean all the pots and connections first before making the determination about the speaker. Check those caps too. I did, however pull the speakers from both of mine and put an Eminence C-Rex in each. it made a huge, wonderful difference in these amps. Definitely keepers here.

dougstrum

Friend of Leo's
I have a studio pro 60. It was given to me because it had a blown speaker. The amp had not been well cared for to say the least🙄
Cleaned it up and put an emi gb-128 in it.
Works and sounds great~