1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Pearly Gates + ? ? for HSS Strat

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Luke1026, Mar 29, 2021.

1. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Afflicted

Yep. That's exactly the same problem I have. I think mine might be the same year. It is otherwise a great guitar, and I do like the PG plus by itself. I currently have it set so that all the pickups sound good individually, and the PG is just way louder than everything else.

bsman and Luke1026 like this.
  2. Esquire Jones

Esquire Jones Tele-Meister

Oh yeah the PG’s sound great in lots of different genres. They clean up nice with the volume knob but still sound full and fat in a seek-and-destroy type of amp (5150).

Luke1026 likes this.
  3. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Afflicted

I should add, I have found the PG plus to be really versatile. My Strat has been my main recording guitar since I bought it just because that pickup sounds so good and I can get a lot of different sounds out of it just by rolling the volume and tone back.

Esquire Jones and Luke1026 like this.
  4. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I have a H/S/S guitar with 500k pots and .022 cap that's very good in all the selections. I added a Series/Parallel for the 2 singles and that turned out to be a awesome sounding mod for that guitar, one of the best neck position humbucker tones IMO.

I also have a Squier Strat I modified from S/S/S into a S/S/H. Cavalier Fat Lion Tele Bridge pickup in the bridge position, DeArmond style Gold Foil middle and real Firebird in the neck. I kept all the original 250k pots and .047 cap because they worked good, but I made the Firebird pickup volume only by shifting the tone pots to middle and bridge pickups. It worked out much better than I expected.

Pot and cap values are guidelines for us, but we can experiment with that to fit the guitar and our ears.

Luke1026 likes this.
  5. johnDH

johnDH Tele-Meister

For reference here, this is the diagram:

[​IMG]

The pink and blue colouring of coils indicates different magnetic polarity, ie north or south. it actually doesn't matter which is north and which is south, its the differences that count and they should be laid out in that relative pattern. Then you have to get the wires right. The diagram is drawn for my Fender pickup and youll have Seymour Duncan. A nice thing about the Fender Hb is that its clear where each wire goes to. Then you have to get the singles the right way around too, to be in phase with the hb.

Best to figure all this out before wiring The Screwdriver pull-off test is the way to do it.
    Testing phase - The Screwdriver Pull-off Test | GuitarNutz 2 (proboards.com)

Luke1026 likes this.
  6. Luke1026

Luke1026 Tele-Meister

Thank you John, much appreciated.

7. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Okay PG in the bridge, Strat middle and Cavalier Firebird neck. 3 on/off toggles - 2 500k pots and .022 cap.

8. Golem

Golem Tele-Holic

Just to clear up any confusion, there's a Pearly Gates+ which was a Fender Pearly Gates wound hotter with Alnico 5 magnets. I don't like that pickup. It shouldn't be confused with the A2 Pearly Gates (which I also don't like in a strat).

BlueCajun likes this.
  9. BlueCajun

BlueCajun Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Correct. Additionally, there was a post on Seymour Duncan's website a few years ago (which I no longer can find) where Seymour said that the 59 was actually the closest Duncan production pickup to the Pearly Gates+. Not exactly the same but closer than the regular Pearly Gates.

FOLLOW-UP:
    I was still not able to find the original post but found the quote someone copied and pasted into an older Duncan forum post:
    https://forum.seymourduncan.com/for...es-vs-pearly-gates-plus?p=1748489#post1748489

"What's the difference between your Pearly Gates pickup and the Pearly Gates Plus found on some Fender® guitars?
    The Pearly Gates is rather different than the "Pearly Gates Plus" that is on various Fender instruments including the Lone Star StratT®, Fat Strat, Big Apple Strat and some Showmaster® guitars. The Pearly Gates Plus is only available on select Fender guitars or from Fender dealers. The main difference in these pickups is that a Pearly Gates has Alnico II magnets, while the Pearly Gates Plus has Alnico V magnets. Alnico V magnets tend to give a brighter, glassier tone, while Alnico II magnets tend to have a warmer, rounder, more mid-rangier tone. The closest pickup available in our regular line to a Pearly Gates Plus is a '59 Model with 4-conductor cable. The '59 is an Alnico V pickup with a wind very close to that of the Pearly Gates Plus. The '59 usually comes in single conductor cable, but it can be ordered with the 4-Conductor wiring option. "

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
  10. Cosmic Cowboy

Cosmic Cowboy Tele-Meister

Thats a popular 'PAF' style pup for a strat. I have one with a reg Duncan '59 paired with Fender Pure Vintage singles. I know its not apples to apples, but after trying loads of pickups that combination seems to be a great balance.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.