P'd off leftie

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Drubbing, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Gnobuddy

Gnobuddy Friend of Leo's

If they only made size seven (US) men's shoes, would you be okay with having to squeeze your feet into them, even if your feet are size eleven?

Not trying to be rude. But honestly, it doesn't seem very reasonable to suggest that strongly left-handed people should be condemned to play "wrong way 'round" guitars, pretty much guaranteeing that they'll never reach their full potential as guitarists.

I'm not left-handed, but have a similar issue in terms of not quite getting along with most production guitars: my hands are big enough to make standard-width electric guitar necks rather unfriendly. I've been hobbled with narrow neck guitars for most of my guitar-playing life.

Just recently I finally have both a steel-string acoustic guitar, and an electric guitar, both with 1 7/8" (47.6 mm) nut width. I paid way too much for one, and had to put together the other one myself with an aftermarket neck, because there are almost no options out there. But, man, what a difference playing on these: finally I can finger-pick without buzzes and muted notes from my big fingertips touching three strings at a time.

To the OP: Rondo Music (dot com) has made a lot of left-handed guitarists in the USA happy. I think the owner (Kurt Z.) does ship abroad, though Australia is a looooong way to have to ship.

If it doesn't have to say "Fender" or "Gibson" on the headstock to make you happy, perhaps Rondo Music is an option to consider. The "Agile" branded LP style guitars with model numbers of 3000 or higher are really good instruments. The Agile AS-820 (semi-hollow) is an excellent guitar too.

Personally I don't think very highly of the Fender-type guitars from Rondo, most carrying the "SX" branding. I bought one a while ago and it made a decent beater after some work, but IMO, it wouldn't be worth it to have one shipped from the US to Australia.

-Gnobuddy

2. leftyfrank

leftyfrank TDPRI Member

I was in a GC today.....they had one lefty Epi Les Paul, and 2 lefty Ibanez acoustics, I don't even ask any more if they have anything else......... If it makes you feel any better all the nice pretty righties don't move either because they are all so over priced! Hang in there.

3. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Guitars and bass guitars are just about the only instruments that come in lefty versions. When was the last time you saw a lefty violin, cello, or whatever? If you're learning from scratch, it makes no difference.

For what it's worth, I'm a natural lefty that does most things right handed. It's something I know a little bit about.

4. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I got this turser lefty SG a while back for a mates lefty son...

from Butler Music/P.Hill usa/ebay.. for $235 shipped..... and the kid had been rocking out on it for a while now and loves the thing.. more than happy with the sound/pu's....:)

his Dad, an old school friend and a lefty too.. played upside down Gibbos all his life... and he loves the Turser too..;)

search for guitars on US ebay not ebay.com.au .... ;)

Attached Files:

5. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

Complete nonsense. Playing guitar is the ONLY time I've encountered such attitudes, and I been around a long time.

Some people are left handed. Just like you're right handed. It's ignorant and condescending to suggest people should do it the 'right' way, just because there's more of you, it seems to be OK for people to say stuff like this.

It's not as simple as 'guitar is difficult to learn either way, so learn righty'. Some leftys can learn either way, some can't. If there were no lefty guitars, I wouldn't be playing.

Not all leftys are the same. I bat and golf right handed. I couldn't do either of those things left. What irks me is the idea that EVERYONE should do what right-handers do. Coming from someone that's left too, is a poor attitude. People are not the same.

And yes, there are lefty Cellos and violins, because they've now realised some people cannot learn these right-handed.

My own view is that the strumming and picking (or bowing) is the far harder skill, as that is done with the dominant hand. If fretting were harder, all the righties would actually be leftys.

6. kiwi blue

kiwi blue Tele-Afflicted

Same situation here in New Zealand. And 90% of the lefties you do see are Strats. I do have a Strat but I much prefer Teles and various Gibson style models.

I once saw a US Tele in an Auckland shop about 30 years ago, and since then I've seen one Mexican Tele in the shops. In the end I got so frustrated I decided to put one together myself. They're a modular design and high quality parts can be ordered via the Net pretty easily these days, so there's no reason why you can't assemble a decent partscaster Tele yourself. I put in some research, nabbed parts from various sources, had the neck made by a local violin maker, and ended up with a unique axe that I'll never part with.

My other lefty guitars (not counting righties that have been converted) are the Strat I mentioned (an 80s Tokai) and a Gordon-Smith SG copy that I ordered through a local dealer that has since gone out of business.

Very nice guitar that Gordon-Smith, once I got rid of the stock pickups. All their models are available left handed and they do a Tele style guitar. You can order direct from them, so maybe contact them and ask for a price. They'll install the pickups of your choice (which is what I'd definitely do).

You may find some-one in Oz who can put together a nice Tele for you. Or you could try Dave Berry here in New Zealand. PM me if you want to contact him. He puts together some nice Teles at an affordable price using Bill Lawrence pickups and various aftermarket parts that he finishes himself.

7. kiwi blue

kiwi blue Tele-Afflicted

Totally agree with you Drubbing. I find that statement offensive. I'm restraining my language here, but if it were said to me in person I'd be firing both barrels.

8. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

My experience was exactly that "guitar is difficult to learn either way". I actually think that the fretting hand has a tougher job, particularly at the beginning levels, and I progressed faster than a lot of righties as a lefty playing righty.

That said, it's not particularly helpful to tell an experienced guitarist that he oughta switch hands after playing lefty for years. "Please go start all over!" :lol: On the other hand (so to speak), I've thought a lot recently about getting or making a lefty guitar, to see what this dominant-hand picking stuff is all about. I wonder how hard it would really be....

I already like building guitars, so maybe I'm too biased, but for a person playing lefty, and especially in a place like Oz, where Fenders are expensive, I think the best way really is to get into making your own. There are not a lot of woodworking projects easier than cutting out a tele body. ;) Necks are a little bit trickier....

9. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You've got your opinions, I've got mine.

:lol:

Sure.

Enjoy you little snit, fellas.

10. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

My school mate had to change from righty to lefty after a work accident.....;)

I could see how the flipped guitars he played had the controls under his arm pit.... not good...

so I made him a few lefty guitars ....he has a rig that holds two picks at different angles and picks some mighty fine lead...with hammers and bends with his fret hand.. a unique style/sound he has..... :cool:

his son, the disinterested one on the couch,.. can play guitars righty/lefty.. flipped righty/ flipped lefty.... with conventional chords or those hybrid fingerings some leftys have to learn on RH guitars if they don't change the strings/nut... and he swaps between the two styles within the same song...:eek:

blows me away this kid.... he got the SG lefty turser... and concentrates on that style now.... ;)

Attached Files:

11. Gnobuddy

Gnobuddy Friend of Leo's

Who was it who said "A guitar is the easiest instrument in the world to play badly, and one of the hardest instruments to play well"? :)

I've always thought that bon-mot was spot-on!
    I remember thinking the same thing during those early days of trying to contort the fingers of my left hand into those oh-so-awkward chord shapes. I also remember changing my mind when I first started finger-picking!

Now, after so many years, I don't know for sure which hand has the harder job - but I'd vote for the right hand, whether finger-style or playing with a pick. My right hand is still the limiting factor in my playing speed, even though I've worked at it quite a bit.

Maybe things would be different if I played classical guitar - many classical pieces really work the left hand.

One thing for sure, the guitar is one of those instruments that forces you to use your two hands in two completely different ways. Though not as extreme a difference as a violin, where you left hand fingers may be fluttering as lightly and fast as a butterfly's wings, while your right hand slowly and forcefully saws up and down.

-Gnobuddy

12. Gautfrid

Gautfrid Banned

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_musicians_who_play_left-handed#Violinists

[​IMG]

...and Mrs WP is a left handed pianist. It does make a difference apparently

13. Gnobuddy

Gnobuddy Friend of Leo's

Very cool that your friend went back to guitar and found a way to make it work for him after his accident!
    Kids have the most incredibly flexible brains, don't they? It's absolutely amazing what they can do with the right guidance and mindset.

-Gnobuddy

14. Gnobuddy

Gnobuddy Friend of Leo's

I wouldn't doubt it. At one time I briefly knew a professional concert pianist who was left-handed. She told me she'd had to work her right hand twice as hard as everyone else in her class at Berklee just to keep up.

(She didn't just keep up, she excelled, so I can't even imagine how hard she must have worked.)

And yeah, before I responded to dsutton24's post I did a quick 'Web search for other left-handed instruments. I found links to left-handed violins immediately.

So, do left-handed piano players also read their sheet music upside down? :D :eek:

-Gnobuddy

15. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

Opinion. With no relevant experience whatsoever to validate it. How you can offer an opinion on what leftys 'should' do, that's just arrogance.

It's a shame guitar companies treat us with the same disregard. A couple of Squiers, a few standards and a 52. That's it. And most of the time we can't even get those.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  16. Telenut62

Telenut62 Poster Extraordinaire

17. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

They only do 1 or 2 productions runs a year, and you can't order. They've virtually no dealers in Oz either. Also charging US prices…

I actually started this topic here to get some feedback on the poor Gibson I saw, but it hardly seems worth it, I'd never buy such a thing. I've never seen a guitar presented so badly, and I'm not picky about paint jobs or looking for perfect joins etc, this thing looked half finished off the CNC. Everything else I've seen over the years from 'lesser' names and Chinese brands, has been vastly superior. I shake my head they could let that out a QA dept, and at the store, for not bothering to make it presentable either.

18. Boblets

Boblets Friend of Leo's

Hey Mr Drubbing, I'm a lefty and I totally get what you are saying.

My next GAS guitar is an SG. I have been thinking about getting one for the year or so, it may well be the last guitar I buy.

I have considered an Epiphone SG400 Pro but I really would like a Gibson. I have seen a range of Gibson lefties on guitar shop sites in Australia but any that are below the Standard look cheap.

So I am now thinking to get either a Gibson Standard for about $2,000, or a Tokai SG88l for about $1,500. I think the Tokai will be as good as the Gibson but I can pretty well guarantee that I will not have the opportunity to try either in any Brisbane store, so I will have to order one and wait for the distributor to have one available. This is my lot as a lefty but after 40+ years of playing I still can't get the hang of switching to right handed - it's not going to happen.

You could give the Guitar Factory at Port McQuarie a call, they are currently advertising a lefty Fender American Standard Strat and Tele at a good price.http://www.guitarfactoryportmac.com.au

19. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

Thanks mate, but US guitars are out of my budget. Whilst affordable for the US posters here, I doubt they'd see the value in them if they were paying $1500+ for US standards.

I've seen a Tokai Japanese, and I'd take that over a Gibson any day, if I had the $ and desire for buckers. Even their chinese ones are cheaper than Epi's and just as good in every aspect.

20. Telenut62

Telenut62 Poster Extraordinaire

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.