Paypal holds - again

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by pchilson, Nov 9, 2010.

1. pchilson

pchilson Friend of Leo's

I know this has been gone over and over and over but this is maybe a new twist?

I purchased an item on ebay... Seller had a quite high shipping amount listed but said he would refund the difference after having it boxed and shipped so he would know what to refund. I agreed with no reservations.

He did as stated and processed the refund back to my paypal account. Now Paypal has placed a "temporary hold" on the refund... I can't imagine the need other than profiteering by Paypal. Thoughts?

2. detuned

detuned Tele-Holic

Nope.

I think that about sums it up.

3. Agave_Blue

Agave_Blue Friend of Leo's

Hold on a refund?

That's just stupid. Can't imagine the justification for it. Other than profiteering.

4. Nodremark

Nodremark Former Member

It's Ebay's chalk and Ebay's chalkboard. If you don't like the rules don't play the game. Vote with your wallet.

JMHO

5. gsh1968

gsh1968 Tele-Holic

Did he definitely do it as a refund and not a payment?
    If so, possibly he doesn't have enough in his actual Paypal account to cover the refund and the money needs to be transferred from his bank account, necessitating a hold before it is released while it clears.

6. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    They do it to me whenever I sell on eBay these days. I just try and avoid selling on there because of it, never had a single problem when I'm buying though - from eBay or from a seller.

7. spauldingrules

spauldingrules Tele-Holic

Exactly. I use paypal for my work and this happens all the time.

8. TeleTim911

TeleTim911 Friend of Leo's

^^^^^^^^^ what gsh1968 says. My Paypal is a draw/deposit from bank and may not show for several days.

9. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

+1

When a company owns the money transfer system they make you use no more money orders Ebay is paypal only then they can do whatever they want and they do it all the time.

Easy fix quit Ebay and no more problems there isnt anything new you can get on Ebay you cant get elsewhere.

10. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That's what I did. I quit selling on eBay, and quit accepting paypal as a form of payment for my guitar work.

11. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

I just talked about this with someone and Ebay/Paypal is working overtime to get rid of the things former CEO Meg Whitman instituted during her reign. Believe me "They get it".
    Maybe a bit late but they're trying to put as much space between the current heirarchy and Meg Whitman as they can and as fast as they can.
    Remember "Bob" Nardelli at Home Depot - no fond memories there either.
    I still refuse to walk into a Home Depot and that BUM was shown the door years ago.

12. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

I'm not too pleased with what's become of eBay... While I'm glad to hear they "get it" and are trying to repeal their ultra-greedy policies that alienate customers, I am still searching for an alternative.

Craigslist is okay but is mainly intended for local sales. TDPRI classifieds are hit or miss, e.g., I've had good luck selling parts on TDPRI, but no one seems to be interested in effects pedals (just my experience...)

Can anyone recommend an alternative to eBay that serves/covers at least the contiguous 48 United States? I would love to give them some business.

13. tazzboy

tazzboy Former Member

I had this happen to me. The reason is because the money being transferred from Saving through PayPal was still in transit at the time I got refund back.

Transfers from your bank to your Paypals accounts takes 3 to 5 business days to complete once the money there you can either keep there until your next purchase using PayPal or send it back to your bank account.

That's what the hold is for.

14. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    I also stopped selling on ebay... but I still buy lots of stuff there. I buy a lot of guitar parts on ebay and there are lots of good deals to be had. I've never had a problem as a buyer.

15. nvilletele

nvilletele Friend of Leo's

I'm no fan of paypal or ebay, but I recall once getting a refund where first I got notice that a refund was initiated, but the funds weren't available just yet. I'm not sure, but think maybe first the seller initiates the refund process, a notice goes out to the buyer about the refund, then the funds are only released once Paypal gets the refund amount from the seller. Depending on the payment method the seller is using, it can take a couple, three days maybe. Not sure if this is how it works, but something like that happened on at least one paypal refund I received.

When I got a refund from J&R Music World, it came immediately, together with the notice from paypal: "J&R Music and Computer World just sent you a partial refund of $20.00 USD for your purchase. If you have any questions about this refund, please contact J&R Music and Computer World.
    The refund will go to the card you paid with."

But when the refund came by someone of more limited means (he may have paid by check or the like, requiring time to clear maybe?), the notice said "____ just sent you a full refund of $175.00 USD for your purchase. It may take 3-5 business days to receive the refund in your PayPal account.If you have any questions about this refund, please contact ______.
    The refund will go to the card you paid with."

16. Muttcaster

Muttcaster Tele-Holic

Yup!!!

BEWARE!!! I had a "seller" do this to me recently. They couldn't ship the item and so I opened a case to protect myself. They issued a "refund" via an e-check. Paypay/Ebay closed my case and held the funds. The check bounced twice and PP/EB canceled the refund but did not reopen the case. I couldn't comment on it, complain, e-mail, NOTHING. And meanwhile, the seller is merrily still selling away (meaning there's gotta be cash flow into that Paypal account).

I was all set to lose $225 but fortunately, I'd paid for $175 of it via VISA. Filed a charge with my Visa card and ta-da, they credited my account.

I'm on the verge of closing both my Paypal and Ebay accounts (471 feedback, 100% positive) because of this screw-over.

Beware if that refund doesn't come immediately!

17. WrayGun

WrayGun Tele-Afflicted

I don't know, guys. I've never had a single problem with PayPal, never had a hold, nothing. (knock on wood)

18. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's

19. pchilson

pchilson Friend of Leo's

The hold was placed on Monday Nov 8. On Friday Nov 12 when I got home it was still not released. I called paypal, politely asked why the refund had been placed on hold and got some runaround answer about funds not available blah, blah, blah. Well my payment went out without delay and the seller told me he had received the funds without a paypal hold. So what they were telling me just didn't make any sense. They kept telling me that the ACH transfers took several days to complete. I know better than that as I used to program credit card transaction gateways and the transactional process is instantaneous. You get an approve or decline instantly and the process goes forward or stops so I know what they try to tell you is BS. I demanded they release the hold. They said they couldn't and it would just take what it took and I should see the money probably Monday. I flipped out on them. The money was available in my account when I checked 2 hours later.

I really wish there was an alternative to paypal. I don't use credit cards, I do cash only and paypal lets me operate that way but man it sure gets old having them hold your money because they want too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.