1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Paypal experiences.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by krisls, Oct 2, 2013.

1. krisls

krisls Tele-Holic

Hi guys just wondering what experience good or bad you might have had with Paypal. I have stayed away till now but am considering an account and particularly interested in the app for making or receiving payments on the fly as it were. Android if that matters.

Quick casual payments would be nice if it all works smoothly with no hassles. Are there ever no hassles?? Anyway curious what the collective wisdom here is.

Kristina

2. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

have done over 100 deals through PP, buying and selling. Never had a problem. Sometimes CC, Sometimes, direct transfer. Smooth as can be.

3. xFallenx

xFallenx Friend of Leo's

It's all I use to buy things with. I however hate selling things using it with. If you sell something the amount gets a % taken and the money sits in the Paypal account it doesn't go directly to your account. The funds stay there until you initiate switching funds from Paypal to your bank account.

It can take 3-5 business days depending on the bank for the money to go from Paypal to your bank account and during that period you can't touch the funds. On the other hand paying for things is instant. If you have funds in your Paypal account money comes out of that. If you have no funds in Payapl the money comes directly out or your bank account. If you have some of the funds in your Payapl account ,but not enough to fully pay for something the difference comes out of your bank account.

So buying is a pleasure using Paypal for me it's nice and secure. I have 60 ebay transactions all with Paypal no snags yet. You also have to verify your address and bank account I also had to use a debit card linked to the account. So if you plan to just use it for buying then it's perfect :)

4. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

PayPal is very easy. You sell something, the payment goes into your account. You buy something it comes out. You tie it to your bank account(s) and or credit card(s) so if you go over on an expenditure it takes the extra funds from whichever bank account you designate. You can transfer money into or out of PayPal also. So if you sell something you can send it to your checking account. They will even send you a check if you want.

Here is one caveat that I know has happened to one person. I did business with a guy who makes his living off of using his PayPal. His account got hacked and drained of his operating funds. It was 6000.00 USD. His bank or credit card company wouldn't help because the money had been in his Paypal account for over 30 days so they weren't liable. Don't know the laws in Sydney but had his checking or credit card been hacked, and he caught it within 30 days, he would have only been liable for the first 50.00.

Moral of this story, don't use PayPal as something you would keep thousand of dollars in all the time. Transfer out to a bank account if you can't afford to take such a risk.

Someone tried to hack mine once and I immediately got an email asking me to get in touch with them. Same thing happened with EBay. When I was satisfied it wasn't some spammer, I logged off my email, logged into PayPal and eBay and changed my passwords

Seems like everyone likes to hate on both but we all still use them.

I also have scores of eBay sales and purchases I have never had a problem.

5. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

I've never had a problem with any of my many PP transactions.

The only thing that grinds my gears is having to pay an exchange rate regardless of the 'real world' rate of exchange. What I mean is that even when the Cdn dollar is on par or worth more than the US dollar PP still charges me an exchange rate. I asked them about it and frankly got a lot of blah, blah b.s from them. And just this week I used PP to make a purchase from a Cdn seller and the same thing happened. I don't think this happens to U.S customers using PP does it?

Otherwise it's a safe and easy way to do buisness.

Oh, and here's another way that I've used it. A guy I know who lives in a nearby town was selling some gear. He was coming into my town for the day and said he would stop by and show me what he had. I had no idea whether I wanted to buy anything or if I did how much I would be spending. Anyway, I bought a pedal from him and while he was at my place I used PP to pay him. I didn't have to run out and get money beforehand or after I decided I wanted the pedal. I sent the payment as a 'gift' so he didn't get charged. BTW I had prearranged this with him. That's very convenient.

6. Bortyeast

Bortyeast Tele-Holic

Another happy PayPal user here. I've had several "disputes" over the years that I contacted them about - DOA amp heads & such, bought through eBay - and they've always been top notch about making things right. Got their phone number on speed dial ;)

7. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

this could be a parallel thread to the one about insurance

As a buyer, it's worked well for me, as I've used the "resolution center" twice.
    Once last winter to unsatisfactory outcome (thank you Amex for backing me up)
    and again this summer/fall when HelloMusic.com was less than responsive (much better outcome this time)

As a seller? I've been told they can hold your sales proceeds virtually on a whim.
    Don't like it? Find another pay system that buyers will trust and good luck w/ that.
    This is one service that has *one* brand, as contrasted w/ Pepsi or Coke, Avis or Hertz, Rosewood or Maple, Macy's or Gimbels

Peace - Deeve

8. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

I have used it for maybe 6 or 7 years. Never a problem. I just make sure all the numbers are correct and the terms are what I signed up for.

9. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

No issues here either. Paypal is great. We have a designated credit card just for Paypal, which makes my wife feel even more secure. Have bought things on eBay from overseas using Paypal with no problems.

10. Chritty

Chritty Tele-Afflicted

As a buyer I've never had any issues with PayPal. I don't leave money in my PP account. I have bank accounts tied to it and PP take the funds as necessary. I never use my credit card anymore online unless there is no Paypal option.

11. tazzboy

tazzboy Former Member

Never had any issue with PayPal's at all.

12. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Like boneyguy, my gripe is the exchange rate they charge when I purchase from a US seller. It is much higher than the "real" exchange rate.

13. Chritty

Chritty Tele-Afflicted

Every monetary outlet that changes currencies takes a commission.

14. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

Never had a problem with Paypal by itself just when eBay is involved.

15. orangedrop

orangedrop Friend of Leo's

Never had a problem with paypal till I hit ten grand.
    Then I had to re-verify, and jump some other hurdles before I can get things going again.

As I am still dealing with problems from last years hurricane, theres money sitting there I can't get at, in any way right now.

16. MickM

MickM Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

I use it 99% for buying and have a designated credit card with a "lower" limit to make a purchase. This way they have no need to be reaching into my bank account. Another option would be to open a designated bank account strictly for PP transactions.

17. krisls

krisls Tele-Holic

Thanks guys, seems most are happy as buyers but not quite as much as sellers. exchange rates are always a pain.

But has anyone used the App for pay as you go type payments or receipts??

Kristina

18. sneakyjapan

sneakyjapan Poster Extraordinaire

... " If you have no funds in Payapl the money comes directly out or your bank account..."

really? they can go into a bank account? I don`t like that idea at all.

19. gibsonjunkie

gibsonjunkie Tele-Afflicted

I used Paypal twice in the last two years and both times my credit card account was hacked within a day. I can't prove they were connected, but I won't take the chance again.:confused:

20. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

. This is why it works for you when you buy something and the other guy when you sell something. Think about it. The other guy should get a resolution if he feels ripped off. That's how it works. I have never had my funds immediately available. Usually it held for a week or so just like a check you deposit has to clear your bank.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.