Paying to Have Guitar Work Done (that you could certainly handle yourself)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by blowtorch, Jul 26, 2019.

1. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I've never had to pay official child support, but at our house the support days are not likely to ever end completely. We no sooner get one "child" helped than another one needs us. No complaints, however.

About the guitars--I don't have as many as you have--the first really good tech I knew disappeared. The owner of our local shop has done some good work for me, but I hate to impose on him too much, because it's not really his job. I don't know who to take things to, and I don't really trust myself, so lots of stuff just goes undone. Och tamale.

2. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

I think it all depends on your level of facility and expertise. There are operations like getting a nut done right, or locking in great action, that go better with the player present to test along the way and help get it right -- for them. Few techs work this way, and in my case, few have my standards and level of skill.I do my own work for that reason, only, and not to save money. Some operations, like a neck reset (acoustic) call for experience and skill I do not have, and in those cases I would seek a pro who knows that operation.

P Thought likes this.
  3. esseff

esseff Tele-Holic

Don't do fret changes or nut filing. No problem with anything else... yet. :p

8barlouie likes this.
  4. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

That's true, I was miserable years ago when I had a bunch of financial padding and I'm only miserable part of the time now that i'm broke.:)

Random1643 and P Thought like this.
  5. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

I taught most of the local kids to play- except one. I met him through his girlfriend, who was my closest neighbour. From the age of 14, he was guitar crazy but also technically inquisitive and a born modder. His school friends would pay him to fettle eBay bargains and broken favourites. He quickly progressed to designing and building pedals, then modding amp circuitry. I encouraged him from the start and have been paying him to do little bits ever since. Now he is the top amp and guitar tech in the nearest city and Gibson specify dissatisfied customers have him do their warranty work. He breathed on my latest vintage amp find, earlier this week. Excellent work and preferential rates seem to be my reward.....;)

6. staxman

staxman Tele-Holic

I always buy my way out of any task that doesn't meet my time priority/pleasure principle.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  7. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

He probably likes you because you look so much like Muddy Waters!

Chunkocaster and Flaneur like this.
  8. brogh

brogh Assistant Admin Staff Member

imho, if it's a supersimple job there are plenty of resources to get info before doing it actually, if it's something bigger like setup, everything can be learned, i think what most people who take services for simple stuff are maybe scared of screwing up and ruining the instrument. perfectly reasonable, imho if you're not 100 % sure don't .. and even there there's a chance right?

Cheers

Toto'sDad likes this.
  9. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I have a super qualified shop within 15 minutes drive. They always get it right and usually within a week, partly because they have three techs who are more than competent. However, I started doing my own setups and electronics as a way to save money and, as it turns out, because I like it. The first time I attempted to solder in pickups I was petrified. Now, it's much easier.

Tommy Biggs and Chunkocaster like this.
  10. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Holic

Things I'll readily hand off to someone else:

Pretty much anything involving an acoustic
    Broken headstocks
    Neck resets
    Refinishing

All else I'll do myself...and enjoy it immensely!

brashboy and 8barlouie like this.
  11. Mase

Mase Tele-Meister

I make my own bodies,necks,do all the assembly and the wiring.
    I pay a tech to do the set ups, he charges me next to nothing,and I get to bore someone else to death by banging on about guitars.

12. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Friend of Leo's

My recollection is that you have like, 50+ guitars? Go easy on yourself. Imagine if you had to change diapers on 50 kids.

13. Moriarty

Moriarty Tele-Meister

I've got a gig coming up and my baby needs a new nut and a decent setup. I know I can do these things if I apply myself, but there are only so many hours in a day. Some people are really passionate about doing these things, and so long as they're not charging too much, I see no harm

nojazzhere likes this.
  14. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

The tech at the Brookfield (Milwaukee) GC is very good. I’d trust him to do work.

The only work that I pay for is having K&K Pure Minis installed in my Martins. I’ve read many posts that say “ reaming out your endpin hole with a hand reamer is easy! Working with permanent adhesives in in and over your Martin is easy! You can go online and learn how to do a neck reset by watching YouTube videos! Neck resets are are easy!”

My response......”Ok pal....meth is one hell of a drug”.

Sometimes the best tools in your toolbox are a pen and a checkbook....and that’s just fine. Know when to say when. I’d be very comfortable paying a luthier who’s done 1500 neck resets to reset my D28. Anyone else not so much.

You’re a fine human being Blowtorch. You’ve got it figured out.

blowtorch likes this.
  15. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

I've got a tech I get on really well with, he does a great job, better than I could and I can afford it. My guitars and amps play and sound great so I spend more time playing than fussing with adjustments.

brbadg likes this.
  16. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

My tech makes my guitars play and sound so good,I'd be a fool not to
    use him.Not a damn thing wrong with doing it .

17. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

I am guilty of it out of laziness and having too many projects. I will take guitars in to have the frets ends dressed/rounded for $40 from my dude, rather than spending the 1–2 hours I would take to do it properly at home.

I am taking an old fretless bass of mine in soon to have frets added.

I am taking my Guild T-100D in at some point to have a bad glue joint on the back repaired (whoever fixed it left a gap around part of the edge that is only spottily taken up by white glue).

A new nut, sure. I will pay for that, and end up ahead, if you consider my free time worth just as much as my hourly wage at work.

But setups? Hell no. Electronics? Hell no! Paint? Not if it's a straightforward color (I usually have metallics and bursts professionally done for me).

18. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I know. I just gave over a partscaster to a great local tech to cut a nut and set up.

So I ... could turn right around this morning to buy a strat body for a shell pink project.

Sigh.

19. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

I semi-justify it by reasoning:
    1.) Let the guy with experience handle it.
    2.) By supporting my local tech, he will still be in business when I need him for a big job.
    3.) He gives me a free pick every visit.

20. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

i love my amp tech & studio recording guy !!

Tommy Biggs likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.