Paying to Have Guitar Work Done (that you could certainly handle yourself)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by blowtorch, Jul 26, 2019.

1. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I have been guilty of doing this in the past, and, I'm guilty of it currently, also.

Used to be I'd only reserve the work on archtop hollowbodies for the pros, because it's such a PITA.

But over the years I've had guitar projects steadily pile up, and I've simply not seemed to be able (or not willing, actually) to find time to get it done.

So, I'm letting Reece down at GC handle a bunch of projects, and he's slowly helping me get caught up a little with things that need maintenance and modifications.

Right now, my Eastwood Airline is getting a Mean 90 in the bridge. Next on the list, I'll probably have him get that Railhammer into my PRS, finally.

I'm feeling a little guilty about it.

But life is short, you know?

Attached Files:

Jimmy Owen, ndcaster, brbadg and 6 others like this.
  2. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Maybe it is just the ones near me but I have never seen a guitar "tech" at GC that I would let change strings...

Marblatx, bblooz, UmpaHimself and 9 others like this.
  3. blowtorch

Maybe I got lucky. My guy seems very capable and a real stand-up fellow

telemnemonics and Toadtele like this.
  4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I too have become guilty of getting my mods/repairs done by (other) pros.
    I did repairs regularly from 1994-2010.
    I can do lots of stuff, but I never learned to do reftrets, finish work, or actual building.
    I’m way more of a tech than a luthier.
    Lately I just don’t want to fool with it.
    Call it laziness, I suppose.
    I lost my old repair kit about 3 years ago, and have not replaced it.
    Luckily, the Austin area has lots of great luthiers.

jannodude, Jimmy Owen and blowtorch like this.
  5. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Haaaaaaaaate working on stuff at home.

Dialing things in.

Adjusting things.

Maintaining things.

Always on an as-needed only basis.

It’s not something I enjoy or find relaxing.

There are some guys that are in the building trades or mechanics or finish carpenters and they go home and do all that stuff in a workshop for fun at home.

I don’t know a lot of them though, and that certainly is not me.

You know how they always say about partscasters that the only thing thats guaranteed is you’ll never get anywhere close to what you put into it , when you sell it?

You guys keep building them, and I’ll keep under-paying for them…

Jimmy Owen, blowtorch and Manual Slim like this.
  6. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Nothing to feel guilty about. I spent a few years working in gas stations (when they actually did real mechanic work at gas stations); I pay to have my oil changed even though I've changed the oil of hundreds of cars.

7. blowtorch

I lost my original go-to guy some years back. He just seemingly disappeared. He did great work at a very reasonable rate. His website is still up with a bunch of pics of amps, guitars and pedals that he fixed or modded for me.
    https://tetsuoelectronics.wordpress.com/

Before that, I enjoyed the fact that I was learning lots of stuff, doing my own work on guitars. But I just have so many, and so many projects have spun from that...also I'm quite a bit older; my eyesight is a lot worse than back when I did that stuff myself

8. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Afflicted

Ehhh. I try to support quality work when I can. Sometimes I just don’t want to do it myself and if I can afford to pay someone I do.

djh22 and blowtorch like this.
  9. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

operator error

10. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I've got a guitar tech that does such good work at such reasonable prices, that it just doesn't make sense to do (possibly shoddy) work myself. I'm not comfortable dressing frets or cutting nuts myself, (don't have the files or tools) plus I don't have a good work station dedicated to guitar "stuff", so I have to spend time setting up for a task, then cleaning up afterwards. I have changed bridges, tuners, and routed out for pickups, but when it comes to really "finessed" things like set ups, I'll pay Mark $40-$60 to do it.

drlucky and blowtorch like this.
  11. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have one Tele I put together as far as I could and had some else wire it up.

I had John Ingram work the neck over once. He was instrumental in getting PRS going. I first met him when they were still in their little room above a tavern here in town.

He’s long gone from PRS but he works on guitars. If there’s something that he doesn’t do he knows the right person.

He sent my Guild out for refinishing. It came back probably better than it did brand new.

I can barely stand to change strings.

Toadtele and blowtorch like this.
  12. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

The guy at a nearby Sam Ash was very good, so I’m not looking down my nose at anyone. He’s not my guy though...
    My theory is that if I pay them semi regularly, they’ll still be in business whenever I need real work done.

craigs63, lil scotty and blowtorch like this.
  13. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

If you aren't in to it or don't have the time, there's nothing wrong with paying someone to do it, if you have the money and they are skilled.

Me, I never minded other people working on my guitars, but what I did mind was waiting 3 weeks or more to get a guitar back. That's why I started doing my own work and the more I learn, the more I enjoy doing it myself.

Tommy Biggs, djh22, 8barlouie and 3 others like this.
  14. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Every time I've paid a guy to work on my guitars which is just a few times I've been disappointed or underwhelmed. Then again i've got a bunch of projects sitting around collecting dust too. I like working on my guitars but I have to be in the mood to do it.
    I suppose if I had money to burn and no free time i'd be tempted to pay a guy to do some work if it was needed.

blowtorch likes this.
  15. blowtorch

Not money to burn, but my most current job pays about 50% more than the last one did, and "child" support days are OVER, baby! :cool: And, somehow there never seems to be time to get done that which I'd like

16. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I need someone to handle selling a bunch of guitars. The fixing repairing and playing I've got down.
    Even buying something new. But the selling ... that's not all that exciting.

17. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Work is feast or famine for me so I never really feel comfortable enough to spend money on things I could do myself unless there was a urgency or something similar. I'm always thinking that next month the phone might not ring and I could be scrounging for my next meal. If I had a set wage id probably think differently and be more tempted to spend. Must be a nice feeling to have some of the financial stress removed.

boredguy6060 and nojazzhere like this.
  18. blowtorch

It is, but I believe that once you're able to meet your basic financial needs, including not having to stress over paying bills, and having a bit set aside for emergencies, money (and it's trappings) doesn't really add to one's actual happiness or contentment. YMMV of course

Chunkocaster likes this.
  19. monkeybanana

monkeybanana Tele-Meister

I have so many guitar/amps projects that I have barely actually played my guitar in the last two weeks. So no I wouldn’t feel guilty if I didn’t want to learn the stuff I am tinkering l with.

20. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

There it is.

No further justification needed.

Tommy Biggs and djh22 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.