Paying for your education vs

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by teleman1, Mar 13, 2019.

1. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

[​IMG]

Flaneur, thunderbyrd and Nubs like this.
  2. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Holic

The only thing I don't like about your post is that it lacks sound. John was one who could sooth the soul.

rcole_sooner likes this.
  3. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Usually, it’s one or the other

4. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Meister

I put myself through college by working on the family farm. I drove a farm truck the state college. My kid brother, on the other hand, went to Reed College in Portland, Tufts and Harvard, and law school at Berkeley. Dad paid for it with money from the farm. I guess I helped pay for it too.

We weren’t rich enough to buy a way in; rather, my brother was smarter than average and determined to be the best, Eagle Scout and all.

5. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

My hope is that the Laughlin kids build on their social media brand. I read they have over 1 million followers on Instagram.

One would think that while that doesn't translate into Kadashian followers they blow people like Billy Gibbons, Bonnamassa, Vai, etc... out of the water.

They probably could pay their full USC tuition by making a dozen club appearances or by wearing a pair of shoes or something.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  6. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

there's a hundred different ways every day to get bitter. Trust me, I've tried plenty of them.

the real challenge is to take it all in stride, like it was nothing. Oh, did you just steal some of my money, mr. rich guy? wow, that was just so special - but, sucks to be you, got to steal to feel good about it all...

TBH, most of the money I've made in this world was spent sending three kids through university. No Ivy leagues, just state universities in the midwest. All three seemed to understand the drill, work hard, make good things happen. they all earned good grades, made the best of what was available. Both my wife and I have had the ivy degrees lorded over our hapless striving, and yeah, I'm not fond of the sensation, but FTITCTAJ, right?

btw, I love playing guitar. I love making music with friends. No rich person can steal that.

7. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

Yeah let’s start a new thread. Social media, sigh...:twisted:

8. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I love the stories of the enrichment no matter what we achieve in our bank accounts.

9. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

this just came to me... there are two USC schools I think of readily: University of Southern California and University of South Carolina...

One is called the 'game cocks' the other 'trojans'

I think we know enough from that to know enough from that.

10. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Meister

USC always referred to as University of Second Choice.

Jimmy Owen likes this.
  11. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

We create our own monsters in this society.

12. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

”Paying for your education vs”

...getting paid for your education/apprenticeship, via a trade with services or other quality employer, (the type that also offer, pension contributions, medical/dental coverage, holidays, with pay & other perks)

13. frankg11

frankg11 Tele-Holic

Let's break down Varsity Blues,

1. If a private individual rigs the SAT's and bribes a coach to get a kid into school -> Go directly to Jail.
    2. if a private citizen endows a university's Foundation with $1,000,000 --> Kid get into school directly.

The only difference between #1 and #2 is that the school got cut out of it's share.

I was a board member for a university alumni association and foundation. I dropped out of the groups and stopped giving to the university because of #2 and a couple of other directions the school went in.

Rev Rhythm and getbent like this.
  14. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's

The biggest problem they have is having the money shown to do this as a charity they can write off their taxes. That is otherwise known as tax fraud. Tax fraud is what put Al Capone away.

15. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

I thought she was married to Mossimo Giannulli.

16. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

I made a mistake, Macy is married to Felcity Huffman.

Loughlin is still a good looking woman in her 50s, she would be a better catch.

17. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

I went to school to party hard. Majored in physics and electrical engineering with minors in environmental science, geology, math, and philosophy. Paid for by scholarship grants and work. Spent 100 hrs a week on studies. A couple bong hits, watch Carson and Letterman and get up early to do it again.

Jimmy Owen and noah330 like this.
  18. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

There's no shortage of bad news every day to get your bowels in an uproar about. If it doesn't somehow directly pertain to me, I'm not much interested anyway. Now loud pipes on any kind of vehicle that I have to listen to as they go by, now there's something that really pi$$es me off.

19. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

But yah tell that to kids today! <shakes-fist/>

20. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

There was a Daily Beast article about one of the students. She definitely knowingly participated in the fraud. And yet in her social media postings she claimed that
    one of her qualities was that she had a "good moral compass". Nice.

I lived in Brazil for six months and thoroughly enjoyed it. But there was one aspect of civil society that concerned me a bit. Brazilians try to cut lines and are always looking for
    the side door, the corrupt angle. When they come to the USA and see an unmanned fruit stand with an honor system collection box, they say, "That would never work in Brazil.
    Someone would just take all the fruit and take all the money." In other words,
    corruption is so endemic to their society that everyone expects everyone else to act dishonestly. So that if you are acting honestly and doing things the hard way
    you are basically a fool because every one else is doing it the easy way-- why should you be a chump? One of the reasons why Italy and Greece have such huge deficits is that
    it is believed fairly broadly that only a chump would pay all of his taxes-- that systematic tax evasion is what any self-respecting, smart person should do.

Japan is perhaps one of the least corrupt countries, at least on a daily, citizen level. You could drop your wallet in a busy subway station and chances are almost certain that
    it would be returned to you. I was in downtown Tokyo and I saw high end bicycles parked unlocked in bike stands, all day long. People are just very honest because that's the
    way it is. No one would dare to bring dishonor to themselves or their family.

The USA is somewhere on this spectrum, but I fear that every year it's becoming more corrupt, and that this corruption is a poison that tends to spread and metastasize to all facets of society.

kingofdogs1950 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.