Paying Bills

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DekeDog, Oct 1, 2019.

1. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

you have shown yourself to be well trainable by the financial system. where else are they herding you?

2. magicfingers99

so who would get a bio-chip implanted if it meant double points on all purchases for the next 3 years?

3. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

:lol::lol::lol:

[​IMG]

4. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I'll admit that I'm skeered of checks getting lost in the mail, so almost never mail checks.

Debit card by phone or online usually, debit card at indoor staffed card readers.

I do not use cards at outdoor unstaffed card readers though unless absolutely necessary.
    Too easy for scammers to double tape their own reader on and clean out the bank acct.
    It's happened to me and the scammers in to charge strangers bank accts was UBER.
    I have never used UBER and don't have the app, but a scammer with an UBER acct affixed a card reader to the ATM at my bank, then charged me $15- $30 every couple of minutes until my acct was overdrawn.
    Caught it quick and got the money back, but I use cash at the gas station and most retailers other than the local grocery store, just because I can talk to the manager there if a problem comes up.

On a trip to Cali the hotel charged my card a couple hundred $$ over and over until my acct was over drawn.
    Management was mildly apologetic for leaving me flat broke 3000 milers from home.
    No attempt to compensate me for the inconvenience.

Of course any use of a card can be hacked....

magicfingers99 likes this.
  5. magicfingers99

I don't use emojis as i find them rather idiotic. shorthand for morons, its a shortcut for people without vocabulary.

the egyptians used their gyphs to discuss religion, astronomy, culture,history, it was an actual symbolic language.

emojis are for people who can't express themselves with the alphabet, and they are not used to create or share an idea, they are more like variations on puncuations marks, most of them are used like exclaimation points,.

emojis are not language, they are like rubber stamps for children to keep them occupied and their thoughts from straying.

your mileage may vary, you seem to have a large collection.
    i'm gonna stick with words for this lifetime...maybe if i have a stroke I'll find them useful.

you denigrate ancient writing, with the comparison, it would be more like graffiti on the mona lisa, to put emojis next to egyptian glyph writing.

but yes the concept of de-evolution is proving itself to actually be a reality,. I would expect literacy to vanish from all but the ruling class in the next 100 years.

6. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I use my wrist watch for payments when possible but we write a few checks. The cards set up in Apple Pay are rewards cards.

We have teenagers who know how to write checks and write cursive but one of the kids did comment on learning cursive in school as a waste of time.

One of my kids has had modern business classes and pointed out all the concepts are the same plus pointed out the risks of giving your bank account and card account numbers to others.

In personal time I'm involved with kids programs. I don't accept the criticism many have for kids not knowing things. They're same as ever. If they have good parenting and pay attention to curriculum they seem better than ever.

rcole_sooner likes this.
  7. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Holic

I get that. But sometimes people don't get a person's tone or sarcasm through the printed word.

rcole_sooner likes this.
  8. davenumber2

davenumber2 Friend of Leo's

Can be found about a million places online in print, as can most things. I work in the science world and have never had to use cursive (yes I can read and write cursive). The need for it is going away.

9. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

10. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity

I pay some with checks and but use online payments at times too.

11. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Afflicted

Read "light it up" by nick petrie for an education on the legal pot business (it's all cash). It's a really good story too!

SecretSquirrel likes this.
  12. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Testify. Our post office lost 5 checks in the mail and about 12 media packages we mailed in a 2 year period. Two of those checks were bi-yearly property taxes, so not small amounts. Now, there were problems at that PO that the Post Master General had to get involved to resolve, but still - we had a lot of splainin' to do those years to avoid penalties.

telemnemonics likes this.
  13. fjblair

fjblair Tele-Meister

I do both. Some things get payed with checks and some electronically.

14. telemnemonics

As the world has become more and more dependent on text based communication, we see a growing anger and alienation in humanity as well.
    Much may be due to losing body language, meter and pronunciation, and facial expression when going to text communication.
    Seems young people often lack social skills face to face due to primarily communicating on devices, even across the table from the fellow conversationalist.

While I've resisted the emoji, I feel the consequences in increased miscommunication.

15. Scooter91

Scooter91 Tele-Holic

1 check per month, and I have to drive it to the post office personally because of my mail carrier, "Cheech.". Unfireable in two different slots, so I'm glad he's not handling any of my financial instruments these days...

16. telemnemonics

All true that emojis are not at all equivalent to hieroglyphics.
    (Wasn't that a joke?)

But maybe unfair to users of emojis.
    I see them as an added emotional component to an emotionless communication tool.
    Poetry can be emotional but text messaging is intended to be brief.

I often communicate with my boss by text and she can let me know exactly how she feels about a work issue, which is often just as important as the issue itself.
    I need to be made aware of all issues but only need to solve some of them.
    The feeling is key to determining which ones to solve and which ones merely need a palliative.

They also establish a kinship that is lost in digital comms.

I still can't bring myself to use them though...

rcole_sooner likes this.
  17. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Holic

I pay bills online, rent by check. Cash for everything else

18. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

I pay bills online through my bank's website. So much faster and easier to track.

About 10 years ago, we started Dave Ramsey, went to his envelope system, and continue to pay cash for man things. Didn't have a credit card, only a debit card that I rarely used. Paid cash for groceries. Now, we did use the debit card at the gas pump because c'mon man!

A couple years ago, we bought a home, financed through Wells Fargo. THEN they offered a credit card where your purchases earn reward cash to the principal of your mortgage. WHAT!!! Cash off my mortgage for money I would spend every day??? Since then, we have used the credit card mostly, pay it off every couple weeks, or enough to ensure that we don't rack up interest charges. To date, we've gotten enough in rewards to make TWO mortgage payments (that's about $3200 in three or four years) off the PRINCIPLE! I mean, dang! We debated about getting the credit card, but I was convinced it would pay off in the end, which it has thus far.

I can't remember the last time I've written a check for anything. I take that back: We write a check for "cash," then go through drive through at bank to get our weekly cash. And OMG yes, the other day in Walmart we got behind a person writing a check. OMG!!! Is there anything more old school? Walmart don't even keep the check anymore. They just scan it through their receipt thing and hand it right back to you. It's crazy!

DekeDog likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.