Paying Bills

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DekeDog, Oct 1, 2019.

1. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Meister

I get that. I guess I just like to track where my money goes, what my expenses are, what I'm being charged for, and the ebb and flow of our money.

I get taking advantage of credit card/rewards programs, too. My wife and I have done a good bit of traveling on our rewards points. And I also pay off our balance every month... the only way to do it if you can afford it.

I guess I also try to protect our identities and have a fear of people getting and using our credit number. The lower my financial profile the better, but it seems impossible to be totally protected.

2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

If you're politely asking people to "step off your lawn", you already identified yourself as an anachronistic patsy. You need to learn to assert yourself.
    And to your point.....I may write one or two checks a month.....everything else is online.

DekeDog likes this.
  3. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Meister

You mean, like, showing them my little friend.

nojazzhere likes this.
  4. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

It was about 1982, while working in Silicon Valley that I volunteered for an online banking experiment. Works great, no issues in 37 years. Still use cash for the local chinese food wagon that visits our rural community and I have to write a check at Costco about 4 times a year. Otherwise, we get too much of a discount if we use the credit card for almost every purchase than to do anything else.

5. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Proud to say I still write checks, sometimes.
    But, with auto withdraw, not so much any more.

I still carry Cash for the small stuff and for leaving tips.

I use the Cards for most stuff over $50.

DekeDog likes this.
  6. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I write one check a month. The rest is on online and I definitely do not use auto-pay. Generally I won't go somewhere that only excepts checks.

nojazzhere likes this.
  7. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Afflicted

Well, every transaction shows up in a running summary at my bank and card websites, with automatic categorization (i.e. dining, groceries, gas, etc.,) if I want it, with both current and statement balances. Hard NOT to see where your money goes. It's nearly instantaneous, too when you make a transaction. I also pay off card balances every month, because of rewards and greater protection if I do have a problem with a transaction.
    I do worry sometimes about identity theft, but OTOH I'm just very cautious about who I deal with online, check URLs and ssl icons, etc. So far, so good

nojazzhere likes this.
  8. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I like cash, though I don't use it much anymore. I carry $300-$500 in my wallet, "just because".

All the many expenses of life are funneled through a handful of credit cards wherever possible. The cards, the mortage, electric bill, and a couple other things, are paid in full each month. Due dates have been arranged to fall on or about the 1st, so I pay bills once a month, on the 15th.

I never pay a bill directly, for example going to my electric company's website and clicking 'Pay Your Bill'. Also, I don't have any debit or ATM cards.

The eight or so monthly bills are queued in my bank's online billpay function. They're each scheduled to arrive at the merchant one biz day before the due date. The billpay account maintains a near zero balance, after the month's bills are paid. When I queue the payments, the final step is to transfer just enough to cover, from a second, larger account, which holds about a year's living expenses.

Partly I do this for security. If something were to wrong in the 'busy' billpay account, the most we could lose is a month. The big bucks account has no way to remove funds, except transfers to the billpay account. Since this happens infrequently, it's easy to see five years or more transactions, at a glance. Any odd activity is easily noticed.

We do maintain a third account, in a small local bank, more for historical reasons than anything. For years we used it as a way to cash the odd paper check. But now that we can photo-deposit in about three seconds, we really don't need this bank anymore. But we do keep our safe deposit box there...

There are no auto transactions. Everything is triggered by me. And I maintain my own ledger of accounts, separate from the bank's.

DekeDog likes this.
  9. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Online bill pay and as much on CC as I can for the cash back. That funds many of my guitars. Car insurance, utilities at two houses and other things on CC add up.

rcole_sooner likes this.
  10. Kirchensfan

Kirchensfan Telefied Ad Free Member

I am a mixed bag of auto deduction from checking, write a couple checks, and pay online directly. I still like a few dollars in my pocket along with a credit card in a money clip with my license since I hate wallets.

rcole_sooner likes this.
  11. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I haven't used cash or checks in at least one decade.
    I do everything through e-banking or with standing orders at my banks or by using credit or debit cards.
    The new e-banking apps are amazing and let you follow and budget your spending in seconds.
    From 2015-2019 I didn't have any other choice anyhow since due to the capital controls introduced by the,thank God former now,communist government, we were not allowed to withdraw our cash from our bank accounts so it was the only way.
    In Greece we also pay a heavy tax fine at the end of the year if we use cash instead of credit/debit cards and electronic payments so I don't think I will ever use cash again in my life.

12. Grandy

Grandy Tele-Meister

I don't know anyone called Bill and I certainly don't owe him any many. ;)

13. rarebreed

rarebreed Tele-Holic

While I do use my bank card a lot for everyday use, I never did like carrying a lot of cash on me,we still write checks on the 1st and 15th of the month, and they go out through the US Postal Service. Like you this is the way we've always did the dreaded chore of paying monthly bills and expenses.
    As for your other comment about younger folks, checkbooks, and cursive writing, I'd be willing to bet that more than half of the US population under 30 couldn't manage to write in cursive or handle a paper check book. Hell, most of them can't through a day without a damn phone glued to their ear or burning holes in their eyeballs from texting and such. There was something in our local news a good while back that said something to the effect of possibly not teaching cursive writing anymore. They can't type or text in cursive so why bother teaching it. Same goes for spelling words properly, they don't spell correctly when texting , so again, why teach proper spelling. I for one would like to know what it's coming to, a generation of non-reading and writing idiots, oh and one more thing, a lot of them can't do basic math without a calculator of some sort. And yes, I'm old.

DekeDog and SnidelyWhiplash like this.
  14. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

I still prefer to pay cash for my bill transactions. Easier for me to budget & I know where the $ is going. Keeps me from financial mishaps. I don't like giving away too much personal info via auto pay. Mistakes can be made & what recourse does one truly have against the corporate world???

15. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Very very few checks anymore. I pay everything recurring online, and like someone else mentioned, I trigger and track the payments. I don't pay anything completely automatic. I carry a little cash but rarely use it.

About cash... Funny thing is, for as long as I've known my wife (about 9 yrs now) she always paid cash and threw any coins into the bottom of her purse, and collected them periodically to stick in a "Christmas fund" bucket. That fund has dropped off significantly the last couple years as she's made the transition to a majority of transactions via card.

I can write cursive, but don't. My handwriting is a hybrid of cursive and regular writing though.... About half the letters are connected together and half aren't.

DekeDog likes this.
  16. Rayf_Brogan

Rayf_Brogan Tele-Meister

I can honestly say my credit score is 200 points higher because of online bill pay, auto debit and direct deposit.

Scooter91, NateD81 and DekeDog like this.
  17. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I have two set monthly bills, which I pay in cash. For other essentials like food, phone minutes, gasoline, cat supplies, guitars & guitar accessories, I generally use a debit card. Cannabis shops are cash only...I have heard.

18. Tuneup

Tuneup Tele-Meister

You're not an anachronism, we are the junction of a pretty large change, most of us haven't even come close to fathoming what a digital financial world really means.

I still write an occasional check, most everything is paid via the web. I carry cash at times, though I often don't have anything but a folded up 20$ bill shoved in my wallet "for emergencies" (something I did as a kid still have the habit) the upside is I tell panhandlers "I don't carry cash".

I use a credit card exclusively, I do not use debit cards.
    If I buy something with the credit card I transfer the balance to it that evening, I'm using it like a debit card, however at one time credit cards offered more protection than a debit card did, this might no longer be true but I have the habit of only using credit cards.

Finally I only use paypal to buy from stores online, never use a credit card for that, I found if they don't offer paypal as a payment I can almost always find their product on ebay.

If all this digital stuff makes you nervous or you don't like it, remember without electricity that entire world crumbles back to what we had before.

DekeDog likes this.
  19. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Online, a lot less work.

20. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

why you need cursive:
    upload_2019-10-2_12-40-42.jpeg

so you can read anything thats not typeset fonts.

why did the egyptians forget their past? they stopped learning egyptian hieroglyphics

upload_2019-10-2_12-42-35.jpeg

why would you deliberately deprive yourself of a useful tool to understand the world you are in?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.